Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 68

Thread: V12 Finish Chipping Near Fretboard

  1. #41
    Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1985
    Posts
    5,102
    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    This probably isn't the place to discuss this issue, but the first thing I'm wondering is whether your Guild is from the Fender era or before.
    It was a Westerly Guild.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    Are they under any obligation to cover Guild guitars before they took over ownership?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    Second, Fender is a huge company. They sell guitars for all budgets.
    Iam familiar with Fender Corporation.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    I'm sure Fender isn't going to issue a Fed Ex tag to overnight a Squire back to Mexico--or wherever.
    They had it 6 months. Not sure what overnight service or ground shipping matters.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    Fender Custom Care is amazing.
    That was not my experience at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    I don't know if it's for all Custom Shop guitars or just Masterbuilt guitars. I think it's for all Custom Shop stuff, but I might be mistaken.
    It was a Guild, not a custom or masterbuilt Fender. Fender did all the repairs after procuring Guild.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    We're talking about high end PRS guitars here, guitars that cost 3-4K, just like Fender Custom Shop or Masterbuilt guitars.
    Oh good, I'm on the right forum.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    I expect premium customer service for those instruments and at that price point.
    Me too. That's one of the 1st things that helped me make the transition from PRS player to PRS freak.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    Fender delivers big time.
    Oh, they delivered my Guild alright. 6 months after receiving it. All jacked up. BIG time. I'll find pics - unless I deleted them. I was so angry over the obvious carelessness that I couldn't even look at the guitar anymore, much less play it. I'll never buy a new Fender or Fender-owned product again.
    Last edited by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ; 07-23-2013 at 03:44 PM.
    One Life

  2. #42
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    17
    I doubt your Guild was covered by Fender's Custom Care service, especially considering the program was just implemented a couple years ago. End of discussion, really.

    Buy a nice guitar from Fender and see what they'll do for you if something goes wrong.

  3. #43
    Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1985
    Posts
    5,102
    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    I doubt your Guild was covered by Fender's Custom Care service, especially considering the program was just implemented a couple years ago.
    I don't care what their warranty program was called. I had a lifetime warranty on the guitar and Fender was miserable when it came time to back it up.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    End of discussion, really.
    Fine with me. I'm not the one asking questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    Buy a nice guitar from Fender and see what they'll do for you if something goes wrong.
    Snowballs have a better chance in hell. I had an upper-end Guild (owned by Fender). They were worthless.

    YMMV, IMO, and all that.
    One Life

  4. #44
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    I don't care what their warranty program was called. I had a lifetime warranty on the guitar and Fender was miserable when it came time to back it up.
    Oh, you mean this company?

    "Westerly Guild Guitars has no affiliation with Guild Guitars or Fender Musical Instruments Corporation. "

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    Oh, you mean this company?

    "Westerly Guild Guitars has no affiliation with Guild Guitars or Fender Musical Instruments Corporation. "
    But that's obviously not universally true, since they had Hans ship the instrument to them for repair.

    Not that it matters. Hans is a PRS player, and that's a good thing for PRS and Hans. YMMV.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

    Website: http://www.elfxi.com

  6. #46
    Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1985
    Posts
    5,102
    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    Oh, you mean this company?

    "Westerly Guild Guitars has no affiliation with Guild Guitars or Fender Musical Instruments Corporation. "
    And yet, at the time of repair, Fender told me they WERE responsible for the warranty but they were not going to honor it because they said (without seeing it) that the bridge was probably lifting from the guitar due to inconsistent humidity throughout it's life.

    Then, when they agreed that it was not my fault (due to a well connected dealer/luthier that they trusted), it was repaired by someone who was truly incompetent. Why was it repaired by Fender? Because it WAS under warranty and Fender WAS responsible. Why else would they have "tried" to do it?

    Then... mayhem. They ruined it. It even passed their QC before coming back to me. Lame.

    Grind your axe all you want. Fender sucks.
    One Life

  7. #47
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    17
    Yeah, Fender sucks because they tried to repair a guitar they had no obligation to mess with in the first place. You should have had your luthier do the work and paid for it. Maybe the guitar sucked to begin with? Beats me. Next time buy a Martin.

  8. #48
    Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1985
    Posts
    5,102
    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    Yeah, Fender sucks because they tried to repair a guitar they had no obligation to mess with in the first place.
    You're going to have to argue that one with Fender, Jeff. They're the one's who said they WERE responsible. I suppose it's possible my guitar was mailed somewhere else and some magic (albeit totally incompetent) elves gave it a whirl.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    You should have had your luthier do the work and paid for it.
    No sh!t. Live and learn.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    Maybe the guitar sucked to begin with?
    It's possible that the issue was related to build quality. But that has nothing to do with Fender ruining it - or keeping it for 6 months - or completely missing the screw-up in QC.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    Next time buy a Martin.
    I've considered it but I want a jumbo with maple sides and arched back. I'm waiting for Paul to build a 12-string to rival the Guild JF65-12. I may just bite the bullet and buy another Westerly JF65-12 if I can find one. Until then, I'll be playing my 12-string Archtop.

    Edit: I found some photos. Click it to enlarge.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fender_Sucks_zps48038b58.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	321
    Last edited by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ; 07-23-2013 at 08:58 PM.
    One Life

  9. #49
    Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1985
    Posts
    5,102
    By the way... I just called Fender Customer Relations at (480) 596-7195.

    They still honor (if jacking up your guitar counts as honor) Guild lifetime warranties from original owners.

    I asked him to verify that there were no exceptions so he put me on hold to speak with his supervisor. When he came back on the line he said (and this is a direct quote) "the Westerly instruments are absolutely covered."
    One Life

  10. #50
    A♥ hoards guitars A♥ rugerpc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    deep in the raspberry...
    Posts
    3,427
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

  11. #51
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    17
    So--back to the issue at hand...

    My H2 with V12 finish problems just got back from PTC today. Unfortunately, it has yet another problem with the finish. That means either PTC missed it (not likely, right??) or it occurred during shipping. Or, worse yet, maybe it happened sometime after I opened the case this afternoon. This time it's flaking off on the side of the body. (Last time it was on the neck) So, it'll be going back once again. No one can tell me with a straight face that the V12 finish doesn't have serious problems. It definitely does on my guitar. I couldn't possibly be more unhappy with this guitar.

  12. #52
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    By the way... I just called Fender Customer Relations at (480) 596-7195.

    They still honor (if jacking up your guitar counts as honor) Guild lifetime warranties from original owners.
    We are talking about two separate entities. I'm referring to the Custom Care program that Fender provides for all its Custom Shop and Masterbuilt guitars.

    I'm sorry you got hosed on your repair. They should have taken better care of you. They should have sent it to a luthier who knew what he was doing. Obviously something went terribly wrong.

    However, what I'm talking about is the procedure for taking care of issues with Custom Shop and/or Masterbuilt electric guitars that have problems. The guitars are picked up at your door, overnighted via Fed Ex back to Corona, CA, and fixed. That's hard to beat.

    p.s. My guitar will have spent far more time with PTC than it has in my hands. That sucks beyond words.

  13. #53
    Pincher of Harmonics Blackbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    410
    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    So--back to the issue at hand...
    No one can tell me with a straight face that the V12 finish doesn't have serious problems. It definitely does on my guitar. I couldn't possibly be more unhappy with this guitar.
    I agree and feel your pain. At least hopefully you're the original owner and are getting the work done for free. Those of us that have to buy from the used market get hosed on the V12 shortcomings. I have a 2012 DGT that has the same flaking all around where the neck and fretboard meet. But since I am the second owner, I would have to pay shipping and labor to fix what seems to be a very common issue--attributed to the build, not because of improper care or misuse.

    So I am just pretending it's early relic'ing.
    12 408 - 12 DGT - 09 Tremonti II - 98 CU24 - 97 CE22 - Mesa MarkIV - Kemper Profiler Amp - EVH 5150 III - PRS Archon

  14. #54
    My name be scrambled ElrytNamrogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    461
    I noticed my finish starting to flake too. Mine is on the very top corner of bass-side headstock horn, backside. It's pretty minute, but I'm kinda worried it'll start doing it elsewhere.
    --Tyler G--
    2012 PRS Custom 24
    - Burnt Maple Leaf 10-top
    2008 PRS Custom 22 - Santana Yellow - Rosewood Neck - 10-top
    PRS SE Singlecut Trem - Tobacco Sunburst -Grover Locking Tuners - Bareknuckle Rebel Yells - Push/Pull Volume and Tone - Graphtech Self Lubricating nut

  15. #55
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I agree and feel your pain. At least hopefully you're the original owner and are getting the work done for free. Those of us that have to buy from the used market get hosed on the V12 shortcomings. I have a 2012 DGT that has the same flaking all around where the neck and fretboard meet. But since I am the second owner, I would have to pay shipping and labor to fix what seems to be a very common issue--attributed to the build, not because of improper care or misuse.

    So I am just pretending it's early relic'ing.
    I am the original owner, so I guess that's the good news. I can't believe PRS won't take care of your guitar for you when it's a known problem with this finish. Maybe a full-scale recall would be overkill, but extending an offer to fix any guitars with finish problems doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

    Waiting to hear from PTC this morning...tick tock...tick tock.

  16. #56
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by ElrytNamrogo View Post
    I noticed my finish starting to flake too. Mine is on the very top corner of bass-side headstock horn, backside. It's pretty minute, but I'm kinda worried it'll start doing it elsewhere.
    If my guitar is any indication, it will. I'd advise contacting them.

  17. #57
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    17
    One more follow-up: I just got off the phone with PRS, and they are definitely taking care of me. I'm getting great service from PRS about the problem with my guitar. So, I'm not trying to bad mouth *them*. It's just a terribly frustrating thing to have to deal with, as I'm sure it must be for the company, too.

    And so it goes. There are more important problems in the world.

  18. #58
    A♥ hoards guitars A♥ rugerpc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    deep in the raspberry...
    Posts
    3,427
    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    One more follow-up: I just got off the phone with PRS, and they are definitely taking care of me. I'm getting great service from PRS about the problem with my guitar. So, I'm not trying to bad mouth *them*. It's just a terribly frustrating thing to have to deal with, as I'm sure it must be for the company, too.

    And so it goes. There are more important problems in the world.
    I have been hoping that you would be able to post this in this thread. I was worried that the thread would turn into a PRS bash before all of your options were exhausted. Glad to see that this is getting resolved as I believe I would.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

  19. #59
    Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1985
    Posts
    5,102
    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    We are talking about two separate entities. I'm referring to the Custom Care program that Fender provides for all its Custom Shop and Masterbuilt guitars.
    Then why were you talking about "Fender Musical Instruments Corporation" in post #44 - or going on about how they weren't responsible for repairs to a Guild THEY SCREWED UP?

    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    I'm sorry you got hosed on your repair. They should have taken better care of you. They should have sent it to a luthier who knew what he was doing. Obviously something went terribly wrong.
    Well... I have to agree with you. I should have skipped Fender repair and had a qualified luthier repair my guitar. It's a painful lesson.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    However, what I'm talking about is the procedure for taking care of issues with Custom Shop and/or Masterbuilt electric guitars that have problems. The guitars are picked up at your door, overnighted via Fed Ex back to Corona, CA, and fixed. That's hard to beat.
    Actually, what you were talking about went like this... (it's hard to pretend you didn't say something still visible in the same thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    This probably isn't the place to discuss this issue, but the first thing I'm wondering is whether your Guild is from the Fender era or before. Are they under any obligation to cover Guild guitars before they took over ownership? Second, Fender is a huge company. They sell guitars for all budgets. I'm sure Fender isn't going to issue a Fed Ex tag to overnight a Squire back to Mexico--or wherever.
    But now you're singing a new tune - which is fine. Just don't expect me to sit back and watch you play it off like you didn't choose this discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    Fender Custom Care is amazing. I don't know if it's for all Custom Shop guitars or just Masterbuilt guitars. I think it's for all Custom Shop stuff, but I might be mistaken.
    Given your track record...

    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    We're talking about high end PRS guitars here, guitars that cost 3-4K, just like Fender Custom Shop or Masterbuilt guitars.
    No, we were talking about Fender ruining my Guild and then you telling me I should be grateful they even tried to fix it because they were under no obligation to do so. Now, after clear proof has been provided that I actually know what I'm talking about (imagine that) you sit here playing it off like you never said that.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    I expect premium customer service for those instruments and at that price point. Fender delivers big time.
    No. They don't. See picture of jacked-up 12-string.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    p.s. My guitar will have spent far more time with PTC than it has in my hands. That sucks beyond words.
    This is a different subject entirely and has nothing to do with Blender... ermm... Fender. I have no dog in that fight. It's between you and PRS.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcshirke View Post
    One more follow-up: I just got off the phone with PRS, and they are definitely taking care of me. I'm getting great service from PRS about the problem with my guitar. So, I'm not trying to bad mouth *them*. It's just a terribly frustrating thing to have to deal with, as I'm sure it must be for the company, too.
    Awesome.
    Last edited by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ; 08-30-2013 at 10:53 AM.
    One Life

  20. #60
    My name be scrambled ElrytNamrogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    461
    So I'm wondering about the turn around time for this repair. I'm sure it all depends on how busy the PTC is, but is there anyone has had the repair done and can tell me how long theirs took??? Not that I expect it to be done in the same matter of time, but just I am just curious. I have two backup guitars, so I'm not in terrible shape if I go without one for a while, but I haven't had the guitar a year yet (and actually am still paying it off...) so I'd like to have some sort of idea.
    --Tyler G--
    2012 PRS Custom 24
    - Burnt Maple Leaf 10-top
    2008 PRS Custom 22 - Santana Yellow - Rosewood Neck - 10-top
    PRS SE Singlecut Trem - Tobacco Sunburst -Grover Locking Tuners - Bareknuckle Rebel Yells - Push/Pull Volume and Tone - Graphtech Self Lubricating nut

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •