Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: My Journey: The Caretaker vs The Owner

This issue matters to you though, and it extends to your family.

If I could get back down to one or two guitars my fiancÚ would be thrilled that there is no longer a guitar rack next to the bed in our one bedroom apartment. If she could have the closet I am using as a studio she would be thrilled! I see the way she sizes up that room whenever she walks in, and I half-expect she has some closet organizer plans stuffed in her underwear drawer waiting for that day.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    This issue matters to you though, and it extends to your family.

If I could get back down to one or two guitars my fiancÚ would be thrilled that there is no longer a guitar rack next to the bed in our one bedroom apartment. If she could have the closet I am using as a studio she would be thrilled! I see the way she sizes up that room whenever she walks in, and I half-expect she has some closet organizer plans stuffed in her underwear drawer waiting for that day.
    at the same point...if she took into consideration "what matters to her versus what really matters?" your stuff might have a fair shot of staying there! and the same goes for your serenity!

almost...not quite...but almost a take on Nash Equilibrium...although with my wife and closet space it makes for a rather unstable system!
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    I see the way she sizes up that room whenever she walks in, and I half-expect she has some closet organizer plans stuffed in her underwear drawer waiting for that day.
    I'm mostly finished with the new basement studio - now I actually am going to do the closet organizer as the next project. I write that like I won't benefit, but you know that I will.....
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    BTW.....WTF WAS in Marcellus Wallace's suitcase anyway?
    My talent.

Must have been, 'cause it ain't here!
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Cool

Wow... I go travel for a couple of days and this thread has taken a journey all it's own. Looked like it might take a wrong turn but it wandered and ended up in a happy place. One where we realize we're a bunch of guys that care about our guitars. For some, that care is like a collector caring for a piece of fine art that they have been in-trusted with - others who care, but use for them as tools of their art and like a Craftsman with their tools provide proper care. And many, like myself who are somewhere in the middle.
    All valid, All appreciative of the fine instruments that PRS provides us to enjoy!

Oh and since we have already referenced it here, I get the same look on my face when I open a PRS case as when Vincent opened THE CASE.

"We Happy!?"

Last edited by Rango; 10-11-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    There is a third possibility, Hans: Owners who take care of their stuff! And for themselves, not for the next guy.

In fact, there are probably as many possibilities as there are people.

I have never thought of guitars as an investment. I've never, ever worried about, or even given a moment's thought, to resale value. Resale value is irrelevant to me, despite the fact that I've bought and sold many. I don't plan on selling them, it just seems to happen sometimes.

I take care of my guitars because I enjoy OWNING pristine ones!

And certainly not to build a collection, since as you know, I am not that guy.

Example of my habits:

In the past I had expensive European cars I kept pristine enough to participate in concours events, but I also raced those very same cars on the track. You want to tell me I didn't OWN cars I drove on race tracks?

Come to think of it, my brother won several autocross championships with his immaculate 1973 Lotus JPS that he bought in 1974. It's also been his daily driver to this day! I would say he owns the car after 38 years... But it still looks new. He's his own PTC.

Any guitar I have gets played on sessions for my livelihood. All of my studio equipment gets daily use. But I take really, really good care of it. Which is not difficult, and requires no special treatment beyond being a bit careful and fixing anything that goes wrong. I have preamps that look new after 20 years in the rack. Does it matter that they look new? I own those preamps.

Owning a instrument, and keeping that instrument in pristine shape, are NOT mutually exclusive. I OWN my guitars, dagnab it.

You don't own a car any less if you have a dent repaired do you? Or if you wax it? Why would you feel that you have to keep dents and scratches on a guitar when they, too, can easily be repaired? One day your daughter may dent your car. You gonna keep the dent to remind yourself how cute she was at 16?

Nor does one drive a car carelessly in order to "own" it.

The whole categorization of owners vs. caretakers is pointless, since everyone's habits are different. Why the need to generalize?

I completely agree with Markie!

Yeah. I'm an OWNER. And my guitars look freakin' GREAT.
    I agree completely. I play my guitars hard, but as Markie pointed out I don't wear anythink that I know is going to cause harm to the guitar. Every now and then my 3 1/2 year old son puts a scratch or mark in one of my guitars and I can deal with that. I am also obsessive about keeping them clean and giving them a full detail with every string change. Finally, I can honestly say that I no longer have an emotional attachment to any guitar I own. They are all on the chopping block if something better comes along.

Last edited by 11top; 10-12-2012 at 01:24 PM.
    Sh*tter's full

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 11top View Post
    That's one example of a "hanger".

Like figured wood???

Eriza Verde
    Sometimes you don't have to think, just have to do

In fact, the law makes your employer responsible for PRSI, though you may have to pay an employee's share. The amount of PRSI paid by you and your employer depends on your social insurance class.

I pour beer on my guitars and leave them outside in the rain.
    From the People's Republic of Maryland (One beer away from the West Street Shop)

GO NATS!

Quote Originally Posted by 11top View Post
    Did that one fly out of the Viper? Use a seatbelt, man. Use a stinkin' seatbelt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosewoodsteel View Post
    I pour beer on my guitars and leave them outside in the rain.
    Nice try, but you're not this guy:

Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner