Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: My Journey: The Caretaker vs The Owner

I'd like to reiterate that my feathers were never ruffled; the disagreement with the definitions is indeed a philosophical matter and further, I have fun with these kinds of topics. I hope that no one was offended by any of my remarks!

I agree with Sergio, certain things are implied - perhaps unintentionally - when we use various terms. "Owner" sure sounds cooler than "caretaker" to me. And I agree with Bob's post, too.

What we all share is an enthusiasm for these great instruments. That's the thing that brings us together. And "we" is stronger than "me".

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    The term "Caretaker" infers that you may not have a complete relationship with your instrument, you do not play professionally, you do not take it out of your home, you have little intent to keep it, you have more money than talent, and/or you do not play it passionately... which could be true.

The term "Owner" implies that you are too busy making music to care about a ding or dent, you are a badass player with no use for a tone knob, you lost your hangtag and never filled out your warranty card twenty years ago because you are never selling, chicks dig you, and you have the respect of non-PRS players because you jacked up that expensive "furniture" guitar so that makes you a real player and not a lawyer, doctor, or engineer... which may also be true.
    And there they are... the words I did not say.

The feelings I do not feel.

The sentiment I did not try to "infer" or "imply".

Still, that is the perception of many.

Quote Originally Posted by Post 52
    I spent some time (at lunch) discussing this thread with a friend and confidant. He offered some perspectives that I had not considered; perspectives that I hope surface on their own.
    Wish granted! I think it's worth discussing "why" that perspective keeps coming up.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    And I agree with Bob's post,
    Which one Les? My hippie snowflake post or my defiant 1%er ?
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post

If they want drums, I'll have at least 2 sets that are still musical and worth owning to choose from when I can no longer swing a stick.....
    Very cool! My brother is a drummer and he's always really chill about letting them play it....(which they absolutely love to do) meanwhile I'm always afraid they are gonna hit one of the shells and mess it up!
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    Do you think they're having this same conversation on the "Hondo Guitar Forum"?
    Apparently not, because their site is down...

http://www.hondoforum.com/forum/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoonsRJT View Post
    Which one Les? My hippie snowflake post or my defiant 1%er ?
    The one before this one I'm quoting, I think.

I own a lot of antiques; furniture, housewares, etc., many over 200 years old, and although I own them I also consider myself the caretaker. I use all of the pieces daily and because I do they invariably show wear and signs of use. The fact that the antiques get used and have always been used adds character and creates what I feel makes them attractive. With that said, I maintain all the pieces in the best working condition in hopes that one day I can pass them down to my family. I think it's the same with all my guitars, I own them yet they will only be with me a finite time. They will eventually get passed on so I enjoy them, play them, and maintain them with the hope that I can preserve them while they're in my possession.

Slightly off topic...

for clarification purposes once and for all...and I have this issue with many on TGP in relation to PRS.

Working your ass off and having the means to purchase fine instruments does not mean one does not have talent.

There's a flip side to that as well: ever seen a youtube video of someone playing a nice guitar/amp/whatever but who is not good at playing? Immediately the gear police shows up in the comments and insults the poster for not deserving such nice gear for their alleged lack of talent / playing experience. I can only say buy whatever makes you happy and do with it what you like.

Back on topic: discussions like this are fun, but they don't really matter in the grander scheme of things. At the end of your life, you (hopefully) won't look back and think "boy, I wish I had spent more time on internet forums discussing trivia." That's why I don't get that some people get so worked up about stuff like this that they start jabbing at each other on internet forums.

Hans put his thoughts out there. You can agree or you can disagree. But please don't be offended. EDIT: and do not offend. Life's too short.

Last edited by Fox77; 10-11-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    Alex

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Sinner View Post
    We aren't talking about whatever was in Marcellus Wallace's suitcase here, just guitars....
    BTW.....WTF WAS in Marcellus Wallace's suitcase anyway? Brad will never tell. Nor will Marvin. Winston wasn't there at the time....and Vinnie Vega is dead. Whatever it was....it glowed real nice!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Fox77 View Post
    There's a flip side to that as well: ever seen a youtube video of someone playing a nice guitar/amp/whatever but who is not good at playing? Immediately the gear police shows up in the comments and insults the poster for not deserving such nice gear for their alleged lack of talent / playing experience. I can only say buy whatever makes you happy and do with it what you like.

Back on topic: discussions like this are fun, but they don't really matter in the grander scheme of things. At the end of your life, you (hopefully) won't look back and think "boy, I wish I had spent more time on internet forums discussing trivia." That's why I don't get that some people get so worked up about stuff like this that they start jabbing at each other on internet forums.

Hans put his thoughts out there. You can agree or you can disagree. But please don't be offended. Life's too short.

Ah yes ...do what makes you happy...that one goes back to my Hippie snowflake post!
    -Bob

I note sadly that even in this forum some believe it is de rigueur to casually dismiss. After all, it IS the internet you say.

And I ask once again, why is it that people say things to each other on the internet that they would not dare say face to face.

There will be (yet another) service morning the death of civility this morning at 10:00 am Eastern.
    Last edited by rugerpc; 10-11-2012 at 07:46 AM.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    BTW.....WTF WAS in Marcellus Wallace's suitcase anyway? Brad will never tell. Nor will Marvin. Winston wasn't there at the time....and Vinnie Vega is dead. Whatever it was....it glowed real nice!
    I believe the general consensus is that it was his soul....
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    I note sadly that even in this forum some believe it is de rigueur to casually dismiss. After all, it IS the internet you say.

And I ask once again, why is it that people say things to each other on the internet that they would not dare say face to face.
    Spot on.

My post above is incomplete: it should've said "Please don't be offended and do not offend."
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    when you really own a guitar, it becomes more than a tool; it becomes a diary of a life well-lived.

Anyway... I am an Owner at heart and I often act like a Caretaker.
    Though we didn't get to spend much time at the same table at Exp 2012, this is why I enjoyed the opportunities that we did. Kindred spirit kind of thing. From my perspective, you 'get it' in a grounded sort of fashion. And that's a breath of fresh air. Very cool.

When guests come to my house for the first time, walk thru the front door and see the guitars on the wall in the living room, they usually say something like, "nice collection". I almost take a defensive stance and reply, "it's not really a collection, I'm just a player with a variety of tools". But I treat them like I do all of my stuff...with kid gloves (as much as possible). Not because I'm preserving value or the caretaker tendencies you describe, but because I keep my stuff meticulously - for ME. Accidents happen and I know it, but they still sting. It's like I just hurt one of my best friends. And because there's sentiment attached to most of these guitars, it makes it worse. Recent damage to my Cu24 instantly comes to mind. Yikes...still too fresh of a wound. Regardless, I believe my split is 80/20 owner to caretaker and that's because I have one collectable guitar to, one day, sell.

Love for my guitars is an extension of my love for making music. And that's at the core of my being. I only wish everyone could experience that feeling. Maybe by taking the business aspect of guitar ownership out of the equation it could happen for more people.

Very cool! My brother is a drummer and he's always really chill about letting them play it....(which they absolutely love to do) meanwhile I'm always afraid they are gonna hit one of the shells and mess it up!
    Fortunately, the way most sets are set up, the actual drum shells don't present much of a target - only the heads and rims. The rims (unless it is a very eclectic set*) are usually made from some hard alloy - chromium cobalt for one - and can take a beating from wooden sticks. The heads are meant to be bashed and are replaceable at any rate, so have at 'em!

I think the only real dangers from non-players is knocking something over or sticking at such an angle as to prematurely dent or break a head.

---------
    *I have seen some very high end sets with hardwood rims instead of metal.
    Thbbbbbt...

sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Spot on.

My post above is incomplete: it should've said "Please don't be offended and do not offend."
    Thanks Alex - I thought I was alone in this this morning...

"The Internet as we know it may be in its final stages of existence. Granted, this is a bold statement." from this site...
    Last edited by rugerpc; 10-11-2012 at 10:19 AM.
    Thbbbbbt...

sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Back on topic: discussions like this are fun, but they don't really matter in the grander scheme of things.
    Actually, the whole point of this thread - for me - is that this does matter in the grander scheme of things - especially MY life. That's what this whole thing is about; the things that matter to me vs. the things that really matter - and the wisdom to know the difference.

As Les said... it's philosophical.

At the end of your life, you (hopefully) won't look back and think "boy, I wish I had spent more time on internet forums discussing trivia." That's why I don't get that some people get so worked up about stuff like this that they start jabbing at each other on internet forums.
    That's 100% true for me. Arguing the finer points of this philosophy on an internet forum may not really matter - but being understood matters a great deal to me. As I mentioned to a friend on the phone, I don't care if I'm at odds with another person so long as I have accurately represented myself. But... if I am at odds with another person over a misunderstanding, then I am not being impeccable with my word.

Hans put his thoughts out there. You can agree or you can disagree.
    And let me add... why are we even here if we cannot share our thoughts?
    One Life

Hans,

I did not mean that your point does not matter. Of course it does to you, that's why you posted in the first place.

What i was referring to is that people read something into another person's post and take offense. And again others react to that and potentially offend others. What i was trying to say was that i think that people shouldn't get too worked up about stuff they read on internet forums. Edit: and should put some thought into their reactions because orhers only have their writren words to go by.

But I'm not a native speaker so often i need lots of words and still don't get my point across.

Cheers
    Last edited by Fox77; 10-11-2012 at 12:22 PM.
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    the things that matter to me vs. the things that really matter - and the wisdom to know the difference.
    Ok...now we are really getting somewhere....this is something that I struggle with every day on a wide variety of issues....I will say that my wife and children are a great barometer in this regard...

not necessarily what they say but how my decisions impact them...it could be as simple as the decision to stay in the office a little later working on some trivial task that really could have waited as opposed to getting home and spending those extra moments with them.
    -Bob

I will say that my wife and children are a great barometer in this regard...
    isn't that the truth?

Next time you think something matters - especially on an internet forum - tell your wife and kids. If they roll their eyes at you, guess what?

One Life