Thread: se 245 vs custom 24 se

se 245 vs custom 24 se

Does anyone know where to find a direct comparison of the sound of these two guitars? I don't care about a tremolo bridge, and theoretically the 245 should sound richer with shorter scale, thicker wood, and mahogany neck so I'm leaning toward the 245. The only thing that makes me want the custom is the coil splitting to get the occasional strat sound. Or has anyone compared each one's sound.

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Hey Den - I don't know where you might find a "professional" review, and I don't have any sound clips to post, but I have both a 2011 SE 245 and a 2012 SECU24, so here goes:

The 245 is a thick-feeling, thick, round, warm hunk of a guitar. It's a little on the heavy side, but not uncomfortable, and although the neck is beefy, the short scale makes it really comfy to play and easy to bend notes. I wouldn't call the sound vintage, but definitely more toward the classic rock sound.

The 24 is much more modern sounding, slinkier affair. It's still a very solid instrument, but the neck is alot thinner, feels completely different, and you feel the extra length. It's a brighter instrument. Stock pickups like higher gain settings on my amp. The coil splits are among the most useful I have heard on a twin humbucker guitar yet, even the bridge split is useful and not overly-thin.

With both guitars, you can pretty much cover any ground you want. A nice middleground between the two is the SE Santana, a little punchier than the 245 and definitely worth checking out if you are looking at the other two.

Also, if your budget allows, check out a used Mira (but not the Mira X) which has a great vintage sound, you can find some in the $800-$900 range...the SEs are great, but definitely a step up with the Maryland guitars.

Happy shopping and good luck!
    1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2000 CU22 Semi-Hollow | 2003 & 04 SE EG
    2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 HB II | 2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited
    2013 CU24 | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow

Also can't remember seeing a pro comparison of these guitars anywhere (and believe me I read a lot of 'em!). I've tried both of them though and CantankerousCarl nailed it on the head, really - the SE245 is a bit more vintage-sounding. The Custom's coil-splitting is very good indeed, and to my ears the guitar generally just has a little more sizzle and bite to it.

For me it comes down a lot more to the overall feel of the guitar, and the neck might be what seals it for you. If you like thicker necks the 245 (also, check out the Bernie Marsden SE...it's fantastic) will probably be the one you go for I think, but if you like to play a bit speedier, more modern stuff, the Custom takes the lead in my books. Both incredible guitars, can't go wrong with either, really!

And of course, you could always keep an eye out for a second hand CE, as well...that's what I'm doing at the moment!

I have both, and love both (well actually I have the SE Akesson, but it's basically a 245), and I'll echo what was said above. The 24 is a much more modern sound, and much hotter. The single coil sounds are great, very glassy but not too bright. But I have to admit, the 245's are TONE MACHINES. They have a very rich character on cleans, definitely not dull sounding, and they sound awesome with any amount of gain too. I also think the neck pickup has better tone on the 245, it's warmer and rounder without being too bassy. If you're the kind of player that doesn't need strat tones, I would go for the 245. If you think you'll want to play more fast solo work or with a lot of gain, the 24 is an excellent choice. They both sound excellent, but the 245 is a real stunner sonically.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE 30 Head/Cab

Thanks everyone for the great info. When I posted the question I was leaning toward the 245, but I think the general consensus that the custom 24 has more sizzle and bite plus a thinner neck is probably going to put a custom 24 in my hands. I think it would be cool to have the coil splitting sounds too since I currently only have one guitar and it's more of a Les Paul clone.

Now if you can wait a bit...
    The new SE Tremonti Custom that is coming out has the 245 pickups and the thin neck like the Custom 24.
    No coil tap, but a good dealer can do this for you.

Mine should be here next week, and it has the thicker body like the 245.
    There is a video of the new guitar in the Tremonti thread further down the page.

I sure like that UK purple one. I'm going to look into how much it would cost to ship here or if they can do it. If PRS is listening, at least offer the purple in the US!