Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Little Guitar

I can't decide which guitar part would be harder to play straight for that long.

San Francisco Bay Area and west-central Ohio
    Martina McBride is one of the best singers in Nashville. Some of her stuff is typical "'80's pop with cowboy hats" that passes for country these days, but when she gets into a more traditional country thing--they call it "old country" now--she tears it up. I'd love to see her do more of that sort of thing, but she probably woundn't sell as many records (or downloads). By the way, I think that's the great Leon Rhodes on guitar on "Make The World Go Away".
    John Beef--I've done a lot of trio work, a bunch of it playing country or funk where it needed a more layered "little parts" approach, and that's a challenge when all yo've got behind you is a bass player and a drummer, and often I had to do it with weak players. That's when you feel like you're trying to swim upstream with a 50-pound weight tied to each ankle. At least in a rock or blues power trio, you can use a big fat overdriven tone and fill things up that way, but that's not an option with traditional country or funk. Back in the '70's, I got threatened with losing the gig (R&B/funk trio) if I hit my distortion pedal one more time! The last country band I was in was seven pieces, and I actually got to play guitar parts, at least if everybody could make the gig--sometimes I had to cover for steel or fiddle or keyboard depending on who was or wasn't there, and do it with a guitar...

Quote Originally Posted by jfine View Post
    Back in the '70's, I got threatened with losing the gig (R&B/funk trio) if I hit my distortion pedal one more time!
    I love it!

I've spent the last two days jamming along in front of the mirror to this tune, LOVE this! Little guitar rules.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    Loved it!
    gh-end
    Very, very cool little fills, from the percussionist to the bass to the keyboard to the guitars...

A very even tempered arrangement. Of course, it doesn't hurt that SADE is hot hot hot!
    This is my Sade moment and the only song of hers that I really like. To hear it on Vinyl on a quality High-End audio system can be transcending.