Thread: Nervous about buying a used PRS

Nervous about buying a used PRS

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking at buying a used PRS with a V12 finish. I wasn't too nervous until I read the post that talked about problems with the V12 finish chipping. The PTC can fix it but if it's used, the guitar won't be under warranty.

So should I be concerned? Is this a reason not to buy a used PRS?

Thanks in advance.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________
    Stripped 58, NF3, SE Custom 24, SE Custom Semi-Hollow with Bigsby, Vintage V6 Reissue
    Fender American Deluxe Telecaster, Godin Velocity, Blackstar HT-5TH amplifier

I wouldn't worry at all. I've purchased several used PRS with no issue. You have to understand, sometimes there is a .0000001% chance where the guitar had an issue or it was mistreated in the store that caused it and it shouldn't reflect the general opinion of the products overall.

Buy it and enjoy it
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

I would agree, but it and enjoy

Check it before you buy it, then enjoy it!

I think there have been very few instances of problems with the V12. But a warranty is always nice to have.
    Bill

PRS Private Stock #3568
    PRS Swamp Ash Special
    Mesa Mark V combo
    Fishman Loudbox Artist

Warranty isnt going to work on a used guitar, though!

Make sure you see lots of pictures, if you aren't going to be checking it out in person, Expatgirl!

Quote Originally Posted by Aldwyn View Post
    Warranty isnt going to work on a used guitar, though!

Make sure you see lots of pictures, if you aren't going to be checking it out in person, Expatgirl!
    Yeah, I can't check it out in person but there are some really good photos of the guitar. I've got a few days to make a decision.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________
    Stripped 58, NF3, SE Custom 24, SE Custom Semi-Hollow with Bigsby, Vintage V6 Reissue
    Fender American Deluxe Telecaster, Godin Velocity, Blackstar HT-5TH amplifier

You could always use the very few instances of V12 flaking as a bargaining tool, finish or no finish, it will be a guitar to last a lifetime.

If you can inspect the neck in person do it....if not ask for pictures along the edge of the fretboard on both sides of the guitar...if its clean dont worry about it...I have never had this happen with v12...I have had it happen with poly and with the poly nitro mix.... I know others have had the problem with v12 but overall it's just another thing in a checklist I go through of things to look for when buying used.
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 10-13-2012 at 04:25 PM.
    -Bob

Agreed. The edge of neck would be a likely place IF it happens at all. I had an older Strat style Daytona by Ham:::: that had similar problem along edge of neck, but like previously stated...haven't heard too much at all about PRS guitars having issues. Have purchased many used PRSi and never met a finish I didn't love!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ExpatGirl View Post
    ... I wasn't too nervous until I read the post that talked about problems with the V12 finish chipping. ...if it's used, the guitar won't be under warranty.

So should I be concerned?...
    If it were me, the underlying question would be: "Do I want to play it in public, or keep it in the house for its looks?" I have one I keep for its looks, BTW, but ALL the rest are players so chipping is not a concern to me. Very bad flaking would be a concern but if it sounded great I would just refer to it as my relic.
    I love 24 frets: 4 X CU24s, 2 X Carvin DC127s, 1 X Schechter Omen 6
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v410/lindseyp/Axes/

Buy used, save lots of $$$$$$.

I don't have v12 issues but i have had problems with the polyester finish! the finish chipped off on the fingerboard. they told me that the rosewood was still a little oily and that might have caused the finish to lift. PTC fixed it, but it came back in a different spot on the neck! The guitar was a 57/08 limited edition. I sold it and turned it into a SIG.LIMITED, yeah... IT's ALL GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!