Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squealies and bridges

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    So...

EVH is using his thumb and pick to get the pinch harmonic in "Ain't Talkin' About Love".

This guy does a passable version:

And at least he's having a bit of fun

A relatively easy song gets easier with the right technique...
    IMO Peavey Wolfgang guitars are the best bang for the buck and fantastic instruments. I love the custom versions and the '96 "1st year quilts" riviled PRS for aesthetics and playability.

Simple rule in life.... There is always someone who does it better...

Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Like everyone has said pickups won't get you the pinch harmonic, technic will. You can pinch harmonic on an acoustic if you have the technique down.

My advice to to focus on the thumb/picking. That's where the magic happens. Instead of hitting the string with the pick like normal, try angling the pick a little bit. Then, dig/drag the pick along the string as you go down instead of just getting a clean note, then the overhang of your thumb on the pick should essentially hit the string which mutes it. Thats when you add the vibrato to the note you're trying to "squeal". Try it on an open string to get your right hand down before having to worry about your left. The D string should be a good place to start.
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post
    Like everyone has said pickups won't get you the pinch harmonic, technic will. You can pinch harmonic on an acoustic if you have the technique down.

My advice to to focus on the thumb/picking. That's where the magic happens. Instead of hitting the string with the pick like normal, try angling the pick a little bit. Then, dig/drag the pick along the string as you go down instead of just getting a clean note, then the overhang of your thumb on the pick should essentially hit the string which mutes it. Thats when you add the vibrato to the note you're trying to "squeal". Try it on an open string to get your right hand down before having to worry about your left. The D string should be a good place to start.
    Thanks!