Thread: Locking down tremolo

Locking down tremolo

Is it considered bad to fully tighten the two claw screws to bring the rear of the tremolo bridge down to meet the body of the guitar? I've found this helps a lot with drop tunings by not forcing me to have to tune every string once I go down on the E string... I wasn't sure if this should be avoided or what...

Quote Originally Posted by deanproxy View Post
    Is it considered bad to fully tighten the two claw screws to bring the rear of the tremolo bridge down to meet the body of the guitar? I've found this helps a lot with drop tunings by not forcing me to have to tune every string once I go down on the E string... I wasn't sure if this should be avoided or what...
    I would think doing this would mess with your action and intonation, I recommend using an aftermarket product such as a "Tremol-No", or you could just buy another PRS and keep one Drop D all the time...

Everywhere I've read says to keep the bridge parallel to the body of the guitar. I don't know if it causes any damage, but I would probably try the Tremol-No just to be safe. I've also heard of putting a block of wood behind the trem block to make it stable yet parallel.

I installed the Tremol- No on my 96 Cu24 with no problems & works perfect!

On a PRS with its 'knife edge' trem it should not be done. It could damage the trem. Use something like the Tremol-no as mentioned above.