Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom 22's???

Custom 22's???

Anyone out there have any Custom 22's and what are you playing them through? GO...
    ~ Matt

PRS HX/DA | 2x12 Stealth Cab | 2011 Stripped 58 - Angry Larry | 2000 Custom 22 - Dark Cherry Burst
    1985 Takamine GX-100 | 1993 Jackson Soloist XL Pro |Martin Acoustic | Ibanez Acoustic

I have a few Custom 22's....I think I've converted them to different versions of 57/08's...most of my PRS are 22 fret models....

as to what I'm playing them through...ummm...Marshall, Bogner, Rivera, Mesa, Supro, Zinky......and lot's of pedals.

Although what I'm finding lately is I seem to prefer plugging right into whichever amp I'm using directly when playing with the band...(last night I used a Marshall 2466 through a Bogner closed back 2X12...I love KT66 based amps!!!...the other guitarist has a gorgeous vintage Park in his collection [among many other Marshalls]that I would seriously kill for)... When not using pedals I stare at the floor less...and focus on playing more and whats going on with other band members....rather than tap dancing and twiddling knobs.

Pedals although awesome....seem to be such a pain in a live setting...especially trying to get all of the levels right....I think I need to simplifiy my board...currently my signal chain is as follows...

either

PRS---->Cord---->Amp (sometimes I'll throw in either the JHS Klone or the EP Booster as a one off boost)

or

PRS---->Dirty Boy Afro Fuzz---->TCE Polytune--->EP Booster---->JHS Klon Klone---->Keeley Comp----->Hermida Zendrive---->Boss OC-2---->J. Everman Octave X----->Dunlop JH Wah---->amp (if amp has a useable effects loop) then in loop ----> send---->MXR 108 EQ---->Effectrode Tube Vibe---->MXR Carbon Copy---->Line6 Verbzilla---->Return (if no effects loop I run a cable from the wah to the eq and put it all in through the front...although then I typically avoid the delay and reverb pedals).

Although not a Custom 22...I have been favoring a 22 fret guitar lately with my band...a plain jane black McCarty Hollowbody Sprucetop birds with McCarty Archtops....
    It's a tone monster.

Seriously considering springing for an HXDA.
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 10-25-2012 at 10:11 AM.
    -Bob

I have a 2006 CU22 ... it sounds great direct to the amp ... I only have a Fender DRRI and Super Champ XD ... my pedal board is very minimal and I am predominantly a clean tone player ... just as the first responder, I have found I enjoy playing more with less "clutter" b/t guitar and amp ... less to fiddle with and more concentration on enjoying the tones from the guitar ... PRS pickups have the quality to produce pleasing tone w/o much "interferance" or enhancement ... these days, I find myself using just a little delay and/or reverb and that's about it ... I don't think the DRRI is the best choice of amps for PRS guitars, but it works for me ... the Super Champ has a little less "bite" and brightness but also less "umph" and volume ... but at low volumes, it is very satisfying to me ...
    -- Scriptor
    Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-conten...amah-mix-2.mp3
    For more very simple demos of original music: http://www.ricklangdon.com
    2006 CU22 - Amber / 2012 P22 - Black Gold Burst (quilt)

Awesome... I have an HXDA in layaway. Can't wait to get it...

I use a Custom 22 and a Stripped 58 through my Mesa Boogie Roadster head and 1/2 back 4x12 Mesa cab. I use an RJM RG-16 switching unit to control the Roadster and a T.C. Electronics G-Major from a RJM Mastermind. It's great for switching up channels and sounds. My life has still become a tap dance as I change sounds so many times in each song.

But that will be coming to an end shortly... I am leaving the modern rock band I am in and taking a break to get back to where I started... That's why I'm picking up the HXDA with the $ from the Boogie setup. Back to basics, an amp, a guitar, a volume knob and a cable. One of the points in the HXDA demo video is that it really shows the true voice of your guitar. My Custom 22 really sings through this amp... all pickup configs are beautiful though it.

I keep a watch out for used 22's... I really want a few more. I need to try out the new P22's as well. I've played 22 frets all my life, except for the '93 Jackson Soloist Pro I have that doesn't get much love anymore...
    ~ Matt

PRS HX/DA | 2x12 Stealth Cab | 2011 Stripped 58 - Angry Larry | 2000 Custom 22 - Dark Cherry Burst
    1985 Takamine GX-100 | 1993 Jackson Soloist XL Pro |Martin Acoustic | Ibanez Acoustic

Hi, new to the forum. I've a Custom 22 10 Top Birds 1990s. Mesa Rectifier and Fender Blues Deluxe. Digital delay & Cry Baby, keep it simple. I play classic rock. Love my CU 22 easy to play, and by far the best built guitar I've ever played.

RB

Welcome Rectifier_22, I'm new too, just joined this week. I feel the same about my 22, I always come back to it... it just has that feel that's hard to get away from.
    ~ Matt

I always run an eq in the loop with my Rec....it does wonders for tightening it up...
    -Bob

I mostly play my CU22 through my Boogie Mark V with channel 2 set to dirty blues.

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    I have a 1996 Custom 22 that I am currently playing through a PRS 2 Channel H head with a Deep Back Stealth cabinet using the Clean channel as my primary dirt sound and my volume knob to clean it up...

I have heard 1996 is a particularly fine vintage for the Custom 22 and my guitar gives me no reason to doubt the statement...

Dragon I pickups, converted to McSwitching and it has a stop-tail. Looks great, plays great and sounds great! Just an all around superb specimen...
    -Jon

"I'm a sinner and I hope I never change"

Here's mine.

The CU22 is an axe that I wish was still in production... Love the sound of the neck PU. Got my eyes set on a stripped 58 for now, or a Mc58 if I win the lottery!
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

Couple of CU22s...

Currently splitting time between these...

Quote Originally Posted by Sekunda View Post
    Anyone out there have any Custom 22's and what are you playing them through? GO...
    I do...

I don't always play PRS guitars but when I do, I prefer a Custom 22 Soapbar. Rock hard my friends...

Love mine, Custom-22 w/Trem, w/f neck, 7.5lbs. On Fire.......

Fender amps, big and small combos/pedalboard.

Mesa Mini-25 with 2 1-12 cabs

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Hows the Gold Hardware holding up? Nice color tops btw.

Six years and counting. My 1st PRS.

The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

thru a CAD Dallas...

Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJackFlash View Post
    Hows the Gold Hardware holding up? Nice color tops btw.
    Ha! I know mine looks like someone poured acid on it... hope to get some pics up on here soon. You guys have some beautiful axes...
    ~ Matt

Here is a shot of my CU22 from our outside gig last weekend... It's an HDR shot so it's a little more freaky than normal.

Here is the Stripped 58 in Angry Larry

~ Matt