Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Experience 2010 Recording Amp?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Dirty Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    State of Confusion (NY)
    Posts
    1,708

    Experience 2010 Recording Amp?

    Ok so I have one of these incoming...saw a deal I couldn't pass up... Anyone have one and if so do you have any info? I've watched the two Greg Koch and Doug Sewell videos but if anyone has actual in depth details and tone report I'm all ears. The head is someplace in shipping purgatory with Sandy's aftermath on the east coast...so I need some info to hold me over...

    Plus even if it was here I have no power...except from my generac so...most likely wouldn't be playing it yet anyway.
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 11-02-2012 at 10:26 PM.
    -Bob

  2. #2
    Senior Member Dirty Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    State of Confusion (NY)
    Posts
    1,708


    here's a pic bump!
    -Bob

  3. #3
    Niiiiice! I want to check one of those out.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Dirty Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    State of Confusion (NY)
    Posts
    1,708
    I can't wait! that video with Greg Koch playing the strat put me over the edge!
    -Bob

  5. #5
    Senior Member Dirty Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    State of Confusion (NY)
    Posts
    1,708


    Using a custom 22 loaded with 57/08TM's these settings at lower volumes last night conjured tones straight out of the Fillmore...

    At higher volumes I dropped down the two channel gains, the treble, and the reverb and cranked the master...Holy Duane and Dickey Batman!!!!

    The bright switch and the high cut are also alot of fun to play with...I also liked dropping the gain switch on the bass channel down when running a 305...really tightened everything up. I got some very nice Band of Gypsies tones out of it too...

    This amp can get very very smooth...kind of Ford like tones by tweaking knobs...this probably shocked me the most.

    You get that vintage sag without the amp getting too loose...your notes snap right back just as you think you're gonna lose them even with a very thick setting.

    Reverb is very very nice...subtle and tasteful.

    I only put one pedal through it last night to see how it took...ran a Wampler Plextortion...monstrous tones....can't wait to put a fuzz, octavia, and a vibe through it!

    Really digging it so far.
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 11-07-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    -Bob

  6. #6
    Looks like a really cool amp with the switch settings, and from the tone description and layout, I'd have to think there are some similarities with the HXDA.

    From the picture showing the leather corner bumper of the cab, it looks like a Mesa?

    I've been using the HXDA with a Mesa 2x12 Recto cab, and it's not a bad match!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Dirty Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    State of Confusion (NY)
    Posts
    1,708
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Looks like a really cool amp with the switch settings, and from the tone description and layout, I'd have to think there are some similarities with the HXDA.

    From the picture showing the leather corner bumper of the cab, it looks like a Mesa?

    I've been using the HXDA with a Mesa 2x12 Recto cab, and it's not a bad match!
    Good eye!!!

    It's actually sitting on top of a Mesa Single Rectifier Version 1 (Which I absolutely love...very underrated Recto in my opinion)...and then a Recto 2X12 with v30's under that. Cabwise I own two Mesa Recto 2X12's, the Rivera Los LoBottom sub which has 2 v30's and 1 12 inch sub which is active powered 300 watt and then also a Supro 1X12 (made by the same guys Bogner uses for his cabs) with a custom Eminence Speaker Bruce Zinky had designed which sounds like a cross between a v30 and a greenback. I dig Mesa Recto cab's...they are Killer. IF and its a big IF I don't lose power tonight I want to try it with the other cabs too. I'll try to post a picture when I get home later.

    I would love to A/B an HXDA with the Recording Amp...I know they are both based on the 25th platform with the cinemag transformers...would love the details on exactly what all of the little switches on both amps really do...I thought I remembered hearing that the Recording Amps used a slightly lower plate voltage which gave them a "Browner" sound? Was that in the video I referenced? hmmm....
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 11-07-2012 at 12:30 PM.
    -Bob

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoonsRJT View Post
    Good eye!!!

    It's actually sitting on top of a Mesa Single Rectifier Version 1 (Which I absolutely love...very underrated Recto in my opinion)...and then a Recto 2X12 with v30's under that. Cabwise I own two Mesa Recto 2X12's, the Rivera Los LoBottom sub which has 2 v30's and 1 12 inch sub which is active powered 300 watt and then also a Supro 1X12 (made by the same guys Bogner uses for his cabs) with a custom Eminence Speaker Bruce Zinky had designed which sounds like a cross between a v30 and a greenback. I dig Mesa Recto cab's...they are Killer. IF and its a big IF I don't lose power tonight I want to try it with the other cabs too. I'll try to post a picture when I get home later.

    I would love to A/B an HXDA with the Recording Amp...I know they are both based on the 25th platform with the cinemag transformers...would love the details on exactly what all of the little switches on both amps really do...I thought I remembered hearing that the Recording Amps used a slightly lower plate voltage which gave them a "Browner" sound? Was that in the video I referenced? hmmm....
    It'd be fun to do a session with both amps to compare at some point, Bob!

  9. #9
    Senior Member Dirty Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    State of Confusion (NY)
    Posts
    1,708
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    It'd be fun to do a session with both amps to compare at some point, Bob!
    Would be a blast! i'd also like to get a 25th, a super dallas, and the MDT to compare as well. I'm gonna go screw around with it now...took me 4 and a half hours to get home tonight with our latest storm...I work only 25 minutes from home! Kissed the wife and kids goodnight...now to relax!
    -Bob

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoonsRJT View Post
    Would be a blast! i'd also like to get a 25th, a super dallas, and the MDT to compare as well. I'm gonna go screw around with it now...took me 4 and a half hours to get home tonight with our latest storm...I work only 25 minutes from home! Kissed the wife and kids goodnight...now to relax!
    I'm on standby for a tone report gentlemen ..

  11. #11
    Senior Member Dirty Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    State of Confusion (NY)
    Posts
    1,708


    Crappy iPad pics....
    -Bob

  12. #12
    Senior Member Dirty Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    State of Confusion (NY)
    Posts
    1,708


    tried it with some more pedals and it took them extremely well...

    however...just plugged straight in is a fantastic experience and really all I would need on a gig!
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 11-08-2012 at 09:17 AM.
    -Bob

  13. #13
    Time to unplug and give us a tone report Bob!

  14. #14
    Senior Member Dirty Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    State of Confusion (NY)
    Posts
    1,708
    I am posting a recent email I received from Matt King (With his permission) in regard to an inquiry I made on the amp. Thanks again Matt! You Rock!!!

    Hi Bob,


    The Brilliant (treble) and Bass gain controls are similar to a Y-corded input configuration of a plexi—just done internally. Two input circuits marry right after the individual volume controls. Each input has one half of the first preamp tube. The Bass channel and the treble channel are the same IF the treble gain, bass gain, and bright switches are all down. The treble gain switch boosts the mids and highs on that channel. The bass gain switch boosts ALL the frequencies on that channel. The bright switch bypasses the treble channel grid resistor with a capacitor that boosts the upper mids and highs.

    The overall gain switch is downstream from the two channels, and boosts all the frequencies with a bypass capacitor in the cathode follower tube gain stage. The high cut removed gain from the highest frequencies of the same cathode follower circuit. The power amp gain switch adjusts the global negative feedback to lower feedback, therefore increasing the overall amp gain.

    If I were to set up for the cleanest possible headroom, I would use the treble channel only, keep all the gain switches off, keep the high cut off and turn the master volume all the way up. Turn the gain up to just breaking up then back off the guitar volume for clean. Try switching in and out the bright switch to taste. If it’s too bright this way, bring in some bass channel and reduce the treble gain channel to balance. I would probably start with the treble tone control at 2 o’clock, mid at 11 o’clock, and the bass at 9 o’clock.

    I hope this helps.

    Regards,

    Matt King
    Paul Reed Smith Guitars
    Customer Service





    I gotta tell you guys this amp is simply stunning!!! The tones are THE BEST Plexi sounds (and then some) I have ever ever ever ever heard! I am going to be using this amp for my live rig....it's killer. Everybody in the band couldn't stop commenting regarding my tone at practice the other night. Killer...I am playing cleaner in regard to preamp gain than I am used to (usually play Mesas and Rivera's)...but the tones...oh the tones are to die for. I'll post another crappy ipad pic of the settings I was using at practice the other night when I get a chance.
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 11-14-2012 at 12:58 PM.
    -Bob

  15. #15
    Senior Member Dirty Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    State of Confusion (NY)
    Posts
    1,708

    settings at practice the other night...hard rocking high energy blues leaning band...
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 11-14-2012 at 01:12 PM.
    -Bob

  16. #16
    Senior Member Dirty Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    State of Confusion (NY)
    Posts
    1,708


    Gut shot I found on the net.
    -Bob

  17. #17
    Senior Member Dirty Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    State of Confusion (NY)
    Posts
    1,708
    Here's additional info from Matt--->

    Hi Bob,


    The Recording Amp is similar in concept to the HXDA, but isn’t as “pure” plexi from a schematic standpoint. The HXDA takes you from Super Bass to Super Lead very religiously, where the Recording Amp is kind of an extension of the 25th Anniversary Amp, with “enhanced variations”.

    The switches on the Recording do things a bit differently—three of them bypass cathodes or not, one changes the negative feedback (similar in concept to the HXDA, but with different values) one bypasses the 470K blending resistor between the two channels for a bright switch and one switch trims high end like a top cut on a Vox. It was really looked at in the vein of studio flexibility rather than pure plexi variants like the HXDA. Like the 25th, the B+ rail (high voltage supply) is tweaked for a “bouncy” bloom in the notes.

    Regards,

    Matt King
    Paul Reed Smith Guitars
    Customer Service
    -Bob

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •