Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me an overdrive pedal

Recommend me an overdrive pedal

I have a DRRI and no means of overdrive/distortion at the moment. I don't have anything specific in mind, but I can probably list some dirty tones I like a lot:

Fast forward to 1:55

Any suggestions?

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    I'm addicted to my Electro Harmonix Metal Muff, but I haven't tried many other distortion pedals. Boss Metal Zone seemed pretty much the same...
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Quote Originally Posted by Albrecht Smuten View Post
    I'm addicted to my Electro Harmonix Metal Muff, but I haven't tried many other distortion pedals. Boss Metal Zone seemed pretty much the same...
    I think I need a more mild overdrive and then a crunchier distortion box

because

I can't say enough good things about the Way Huge Green Rhino...such a great pedal and you can pick them up relatively cheap ($75-85). I'd be happy to lend mine out to you James if you want to give it a test drive.
    "He's kind of like a bear at a campsite...you think he's cute and kind of want to hug him, but in the end you know he's dangerous and is going to stomp on your tent and eat all your food..." - martysnarf

Quote Originally Posted by iahawk36 View Post
    I can't say enough good things about the Way Huge Green Rhino...such a great pedal and you can pick them up relatively cheap ($75-85). I'd be happy to lend mine out to you James if you want to give it a test drive.
    that's generous...i appreciate that! If you were my neighbor, i'd take you up on it. I'm hoping to compile a list of options and then check out sound clips online.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    that's generous...i appreciate that! If you were my neighbor, i'd take you up on it. I'm hoping to compile a list of options and then check out sound clips online.
    You'll be quick to learn that us former BAM guys have no problems shipping stuff for friends to try. Thats what makes a community, and not just a forum
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    As 3-Mike stated, I'm more than happy to ship it out to you for a test drive for you. I know you can play them in GC's, but it's never the same as playing through your own rig.
    "He's kind of like a bear at a campsite...you think he's cute and kind of want to hug him, but in the end you know he's dangerous and is going to stomp on your tent and eat all your food..." - martysnarf

Another vote for the Green Rhino , it's great . I got one after reading about it on BAM and I love it through my DRRI. Also worth considering is the Fulltone OCD

I like the Bad Cat X-Treme Tone for tube-driven heavy stuff, the OCD for coil-split overdrive, and the Xotic EP for clean boost.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post
    You'll be quick to learn that us former BAM guys have no problems shipping stuff for friends to try. Thats what makes a community, and not just a forum
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawk36 View Post
    As 3-Mike stated, I'm more than happy to ship it out to you for a test drive for you. I know you can play them in GC's, but it's never the same as playing through your own rig.
    Well that gives me the warm and fuzzies. I appreciate it. I might take you up on it!

Boosts-Ep Booster or JHS Klon Klone set for a boost
    Overdrive- Hermida Zendrive
    Marshall in a Box- Wampler Plextortion
    Fuzz-too many to name!

Really any of the wampler pedals are great...check out his site...they have ones based on EVH's Brown Sound, JTM-45 and JCM 800, SLO, Triple Wreck, Dumble, BlackFace, Tweed...etc...very very compelling pedals.
    -Bob

I really like the Keeley modded Tube Screamer... very smooth to very overdriven crunch, plus you can use it as a solo boost if you want. You can get some really classy Santana type feedback from it too... Can't wait to plug it in to my HXDA when I get it home.

http://www.robertkeeley.com/home.php
    ~ Matt

PRS Custom 22 | PRS Stripped 58 | Jackson Soloist XL | HXDA Head and 2x12 Stealth Cab

I use a Maxon 808 for pushing my signal on my mesa dual rec but then I use a T-Rex Gristle King and a EP Booster through my fender hot rod deluxe . I also am considering the OCD . Lots of them out there . Youtube has been a good resource for me
    My name is Matt and I'm a guitarholic

1994 McCarty; 2010 Charcoal Burst Modern Eagle Quatro; 2012 Fire Red Burst Signature Limited;2012 Charcoal Buster Siggy ( PTC Modified ); 2012 Vintage Burst Stripper; 2012 Charcoal 408 Standard w/ Crackwood; 2012 NOS ME1 Tiger Eye

The Wilco clip is very similar to the way a Fulltone OCD would sound with a Deluxe. I'm also a fan of the Robin Trower Overdrive, essentially a tweaked Fulldrive II.

Another I'd seriously consider because you can clip the signal "soft" or "hard" is the Plimsoul.

As you can see, I'm a big fan of Fulltone pedals. To my ear, they capture very classic tones.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 11-09-2012 at 12:29 PM.

+1 on the Wampler options, Keeley modded Tube Screamer, Zen Drive, and the Rhino.

I'm a huge fan of the Jetter Jet Drive--two great (similar) channels that can be set very differently. Price isn't bad considering you are effectively getting two pedals.

overdrive/distortion pedals are one thing that we'll never be 100% satisfied. it's and endless and fun quest. my favorites are TS9, OCD and Mesa Boogie VTwin. The Xotic Ep Booster I don't use as a booster, I have it on all the time. It's more like a mojo pedal then an effect.
    I want to try out those new 3 pedals from Bogner. I think I will get one of those Ecstasy Red http://www.bogneramplification.com/p...er-pedals-amps

I know it goes under the radar frequently, but I have a Boss Blues Driver and if I wasn't using amp distortion, I'd use that.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Quote Originally Posted by aduayer View Post
    overdrive/distortion pedals are one thing that we'll never be 100% satisfied. it's and endless and fun quest. my favorites are TS9, OCD and Mesa Boogie VTwin. The Xotic Ep Booster I don't use as a booster, I have it on all the time. It's more like a mojo pedal then an effect.
    I want to try out those new 3 pedals from Bogner. I think I will get one of those Ecstasy Red http://www.bogneramplification.com/p...er-pedals-amps
    Those look interesting!
    12 408 - 12 DGT - 09 Tremonti II - 98 CU24 - 97 CE22 - Mesa MarkIV - Kemper Profiler Amp - EVH 5150 III - PRS Archon

+1 on the OCD
    +10 on the Keeley modded TS-9
    +100 on the EP Booster

I swapped out my OCD for the Lovepedal Kalamazoo gold a while back and love it. It takes the OCD's ability for BIG bottom crunch and takes it to an esoteric level with more clarity and smoothness...Klon-ness. Combine it with the EP Booster for sheer beauty. I add the TS-9 to the K'zoo for leads.

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Can't go wrong with a Tubescreamer of some description in your rig...

Sounds like something such as the Fulltone Fulldrive II Mosfet would be up your sreet. Going to try and pick one up myself as soon as.

A lot of real nice ones have been mentioned here already, many of which would do the job perfectly.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues