Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me an overdrive pedal

The Bogner Blue's have gotten killer reviews...more so than the Red's...that said between my current amps and pedals I really don't have as much gas for these as I thought I would. Still wouldn't mind picking up a blue though.
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoonsRJT View Post
    The Bogner Blue's have gotten killer reviews...more so than the Red's...that said between my current amps and pedals I really don't have as much gas for these as I thought I would. Still wouldn't mind picking up a blue though.
    I wish I could try them before buying it, but as always, I will buy them blindly.
    I didn't mentioned before, but I've been using a lot the Slash Fuzz from MXR and I am loving it. So many sounds come out of that box

I have to agree with a lot here. You cannot go wrong with a Tubescreamer.

If you do pick one up, I can help you convert it to bypass DIY. I also have most of the PDFs for the guitarworld interviews they did with Robert Keeley where he give up some of the mods and how to do them.
    BDR-529

Wampler Paisley Drive
    OCD
    Sky Blue Overdrive

DGT Club Vice President

I have way too many OD pedals...I've decided on three at the moment. I love the Fulltone stuff, but my Boss OD-3 (yes, a Boss pedal) just sounds so sweet!

mgd

DGTs

OCD is my favorite ever. Will never get rid of that pedal.

That said, my next pedal will be a lovepedal Kalamazoo gold. The clips I've seen are stunning.
    Last edited by Poffypoffa; 11-09-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Keeley. Sd1, tube screamer also the keeley overdrive pedal

I just picked up a Tc Electronics Mojo overdrive, love it and didn't break the bank.

I use :
    Boss Metal Zone
    Keeley fuzz head
    Tc Electronics Mojo

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    ^^ James, the TC Electronic Mojo Mojo Overdrive was the one I was gonna recommend... Very tasty tones from that one!!!

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar

My personal favs...

Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe (just a great sounding box)
    http://www.wamplerpedals.com/aiab/pinnacle.html

Suhr Riot
    http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/suhr.php

Analogman King of Tone (amazing pedal - worth the waitlist)
    http://www.analogman.com/kingtone.htm

Analogman TS variant. OD-9 Silver w/ KWS (less drive, better tone than TS)
    http://www.buyanalogman.com/Maxon_OD...-od-9-mods.htm

Fulltone PlimSoul works pretty well for me on the clean channel of my Fender Super Sonic 22 which is close to your DRRI. I also have a Gearmandude version of an 808 tube screamer which I love for medium OD stuff or to put put me over the top on channel 2. I'd also recommend the Xotic BB plus. That will allow you to set up a couple of different tones at in the same pedal which would give you more flexibility from just one pedal.
    Gear: Fender, PRS, Orange, Budda

Visual Sound does a great version of the 808, and you can get it in tandem with a marshally drive with the Jeckyll and Hyde, or with a compressor. Or alone. Or 2 in 1 in the double trouble if you really want to have some fun.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE 30 Head/Cab

Quote Originally Posted by andy474x View Post
    Visual Sound does a great version of the 808, and you can get it in tandem with a marshally drive with the Jeckyll and Hyde, or with a compressor. Or alone. Or 2 in 1 in the double trouble if you really want to have some fun.
    Do you currently have the Jekyll & Hyde? I thought about picking one up used from GC to go with my tube amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris528 View Post
    Do you currently have the Jekyll & Hyde? I thought about picking one up used from GC to go with my tube amp.
    I do... in fact I have 2. If you can find an old silver V1, the distortion side sounds much more like a Recto, and the TS side is really smooth and the overdrive sounds incredible, despite having less gain and boost on tap. The newest version is more Marshall like in the distortion, and the TS side still sounds fantastic, with lots more gain and volume boost. And then somehow I won an online giveaway from VS for a Double Trouble. Not that I needed it, but it's actually getting a lot of use on my board with the V2 J&H. I keep the V1 as an old favorite. Anyways, if I could only have 1 drive pedal from my current collection, the J&H would be the one.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE 30 Head/Cab

Providence Flame Drive

I also want to try the Fulltone Plimsoul and especially the Bogner Blue.
    2Tek'd to the MAX

so I posted this in another thread but it applies here...this is my current pedal board...I swap in or out the rm fuzz and the plextortion,,,,I was using those stand alone which is why they are currently off the board as opposed to being bumped from the board.

thought it could give some of you ideas....I've looked high and low for great pedals...the distortions, drives, boosts and fuzzes I use are the result of my search to date.
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Duncan View Post

I have way too many OD pedals...I've decided on three at the moment. I love the Fulltone stuff, but my Boss OD-3 (yes, a Boss pedal) just sounds so sweet!
    Nothing wrong with Boss! Great setup!
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by andy474x View Post
    I do... in fact I have 2. If you can find an old silver V1, the distortion side sounds much more like a Recto, and the TS side is really smooth and the overdrive sounds incredible, despite having less gain and boost on tap. The newest version is more Marshall like in the distortion, and the TS side still sounds fantastic, with lots more gain and volume boost. And then somehow I won an online giveaway from VS for a Double Trouble. Not that I needed it, but it's actually getting a lot of use on my board with the V2 J&H. I keep the V1 as an old favorite. Anyways, if I could only have 1 drive pedal from my current collection, the J&H would be the one.
    Thanks for the info. I'm gonna go back to GC this week and get the used one they have (it's the newer red one).

ETHOS TLE OVERDRIVE sounds like a DUMBLE amp,for a lot less dough!! It has a very broad range of tones to select from. Also, the GOLDEN CELLO at guitar center is a cost effective alternative. It combines a delay & overdrive in one small pedal. GOOD LUCK--- THE GAS NEVER STOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One more thing! when you wear out the pedal quest;cut to the chase scene and purchase an AXE EFFECTS 2 and sell all your pedals to pay for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by bluefade; 11-10-2012 at 09:19 PM.