Thread: what tuning do you play in?

what tuning do you play in?

What tuning do you play in most often and any particular reason?
    I play in standard E (Most my favourite songs are in E and I like to challenge myself to play new things without changing tuning much)
    I have to have perfect intonation so I never really change tuning either so I have convinced myself I NEED another PRS for drop-c. Maybe I have spent too much time on here
    Never really been into open tunings but I am dying to get my hands on an SE7 for more range

most of the time I spend in "standard" tunning. depending on the gig, half step low, some songs Drop D. my baritone, is a guitar that I only use to make textures when I am recording, so this one I use lots of different tunnings.

The band I just left uses E flat drop D tuning. I never had any problems with my Stripped 58 or my CU22 in this tuning. I was using 10-46 D'Addarios. I am getting them back to normal tuning now and went back to GHS Boomers 10-46. It's kinda weird going back to standard after 2 years of playing tuned down...

Here is our ReverbNation if you guys want to check out a few tunes...

http://www.reverbnation.com/divinesorrow
    ~ Matt

PRS HX/DA | 2x12 Stealth Cab | 2011 Stripped 58 - Angry Larry | 2000 Custom 22 - Dark Cherry Burst
    1985 Takamine GX-100 | 1993 Jackson Soloist XL Pro |Martin Acoustic | Ibanez Acoustic

I have my CU24 tuned a whole step down to DGCFAD. I also play it in Drop C as well. I'm using 11-52's. I find that string gauge feels like 10's in standard tuning. I like to play a lot of metal and this tuning just works! I had a Strat and a Les Paul for standard tuning but I sold them a few months ago. After only owning one guitar for the last several months I've decided that I need a guitar for both a whole step down and standard tuning. New CU24 incoming as of yesterday! Pics whenever I get it!

Standard tuning.

About 80% standard, then Eb tuning for SRV type stuff and a small percentage Eb drop D. That Db bass note is killer.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2008 Mira, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2012 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

A 440

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    100% Drop D for the powerful sound of D power chord and easy changing of power chords in general.

Quote Originally Posted by slowro View Post
    I am dying to get my hands on an SE7 for more range
    Me too
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Quote Originally Posted by slowro View Post
    I play in standard E (Most my favourite songs are in E and I like to challenge myself to play new things without changing tuning much)
    I have to have perfect intonation so I never really change tuning either
    Man, that is me exactly! I do like alt tunings on acoustic a lot though.

CGCFAC mostly for my bands stuff.
    SFL Onstage - My New Publication SFL Onstage 'Like' us on Facebook
    PRS McCarty Hollowbody, PRS Custom 24
    Mesa/Boogie Rectifier -> Rectifier Cabs -> Boss Tuner -> Modded Tremonti Wah -> DOD Gonkulator -> T-Rex Tremonti Phase Shifter -> Boss Digital Delay -> EHX POG -> eBow

Our 40-something voices require half-step down in order to hit the harmonies. Couple of songs open G (open Gb actually I guess) for the couple of stones songs that we do.

At home, I always tune standard in case I want to play along with something while I'm figuring it out. I never change setup - too lazy to setup some guitars for half-step down - and am always surprised at how I never notice any issues with intonation. I don't like a low setup, so maybe that has something to do with it....

Don - Studio Musician cobrafast1's Avatar
    Standard E tuning. If the key changes, I just transpose in my head and play.
    PRS SE Semi-Hollow Body - Parker Fly Deluxe - American Fender Stratocaster
    Carvin Quad-X Amp - Carvin Tube 100 - (2) Roctron Intellifex - Gibson EchoPlex
    Mesa Express Pluss 5:25 - Marshall MG100HFX - Egnater Rebel 20 - DODFX54 Attacker - VFE Distortion 3
    Digitech Jam Man Solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Albrecht Smuten View Post
    100% Drop D for the powerful sound of D power chord and easy changing of power chords in general.

Me too
    Will this become Drop-A on the SE7? \m/

WE tune half step low to help our vocals. We also do a few songs in dropD. I keep my schecter C1 plus in a440 to play along with stuff im learning at home.

Nothing like my DGT with those 11 ga. strings, tuned down a 1/2 step.

The band I'm in now is all in E standard.
    We may be adding Kashmir to the setlist so I'll need to drag around another guitar for the DADGAD tuning.

For the songs I write/with my band, play in drop C, D standard, or drop D. Occasionally, I have gone to drop B, or drop B flat while writing out some songs.
    I stick with standard tuning whenever I did any of my jazz stuff, be it small group or when I was in ensemble.

Standard tuning 99% of the time. But Drop D and Double Drop D for some acoustic stuff, and Double Drop D for "Cinnamon Girl"...

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

D - Standard / DADGAD half a step down / EABEBE
    Current Herd: PRS P22 Eriza Verde / PRS Singlecut Hollowbody II Trampas Green / PRS SE 30 1x12
    Future additions to herd : Pauls Guitar / Angelus Custom / SE Korina One / Archon and 2x12 and if they ever release a SE or S2 Bass

Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb for all the band stuff, thinking of going for drop C soon for our new material.
    PRS SE 245 (Heavily Modified), Warman Guitars 'Warbird', ESP/LTD EC-256, ESP/LTD F-2005, Maverick F3, EVH Peavey Wolfgang, Godin Progression.
    Laney Ironheart 120w Head, Peavey 6505, Laney Ironheart 4x12.
    Too many pedals, mounted on an Ikea shelf.
    Laney Amplification and Warman Guitars endorsee.