Thread: Installing Bass Strings

Installing Bass Strings

Been watching some videos in preparation for my SE Kingfisher bass, and this one by Fender looks good.
    The tuners on that one you insert the string from the top, then wrap it around the post?
    I wonder what type and how you do it on these new SEs?

I am use to the Planet Wave Autotrim locking tuners on most of my guitars where you just insert the string through the post hole and tighten the knob, then the tuner cuts the string for you.

In my Google search for the Hipshot HB6 tuners the new SE basses use, I am not coming up with the same shape as the ones that come with the SEs, and I cannot get a clear pic of the top of the tuner.
    Maybe the SE version of the Hipshot HB6 is a little different than what is out there?

Would be nice is PRS did some videos on how to string these things the correct way.
    I guess I have to get use to it though as I am spoiled my my locking tuners on my other guitars.

This one here might be the ones that PRS is using, not 100% sure.
    http://store.hipshotproducts.com/car...t_detail&p=108

Have you seen the back of the headstock? I haven't seen pics of that.

My wife's a bass player and has those Hipshots on two of her basses. They came stock on her Korean Lakland Skyline and she was happy enough with them that when she replaced the neck on a USA Fender P with a USACG bass neck, she bought another set of Hipshots for it. They're fantastic.

Yes, the way you string it is to pull the string all the way through until the ball end is firmly in place. Then trim off all but maybe 3 inches past the intended tuner, put the fresh cut end down into the tuner, feed the string through one of the sides, and turn to tune up. You don't need locking tuners on a bass. Come to think of it, I have never seen locking bass tuners.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Thanks John, they have quite a few pics here, but no rear shot of the headstock.
    http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2014/06...estrel-basses/

Yeah, I have not seen locking tuners either, I will just have to get use to doing the wrap, looks much easier with bass than with a guitar.
    I remember long ago with guitar you had to wrap it a certain way to prevent the core from breaking (which I did a lot as a youth) hence why I have lockers on all of my guitars now, no more having to wrap a string.
    The Phase III tuners on my 408 are very easy too, just have to snip the string off after the first wrap.

Looking so forward to this bass, still about a month or so away from what I hear.

PS, by the way, this looks like the bridge they are using.
    Nice to see two HipShot products being used.

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/car...t_detail&p=259

In this pic below they are running two from the rear of the bass, and two from the rear of the bridge.
    I have read to get more sustain, it is better to run them from the backside of the bass.

All the bass tuners I've seen have you insert the string down the post. Just trim, stick the end down the post, and tune 'em up!

They work just like the old school Kluson tuners used on Fender guitars, which are my favorite aside from locking tuners.
    --Garrett--

I found a bigger picture of the headstock on PRS's site, and it looks like you insert the string first into a hole much like the Fender video I posted earlier, then you take it through that slip on top, then wrap it around the post.

Looks better if you save the pic and zoom in on it on your computer.

There you go. Exactly the same procedure as the Fender vid, except of course the headstock is 2+2 instead of 4 inline
    --Garrett--

The Motown cats never changed their strings until they literally were too funky to use any more.

This was told to me by one of the guys who played on Motown sessions. I followed this advice religiously.

Not because it held any mysterious truth for me, it was just a good excuse to not have to change strings, which I hate doing.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Pretty sure a couple windings on each post also helps bass strings stay in tune...and you want the windings to go down the post for more angle off the nut, helping eliminate buzz.

Btw...here's to my reeeeeally smart wife who assisted in adding my avitar...look out Sergio, you want photos, you got 'em.

Congrats on the new avatar!

I found an error with the Fender sponsored video I posted above.
    I watched three other videos on changing bass strings and added them to a Guitar Maintenance folder under my YouTube account.
    All the other videos said to bend the string at the end where you want to cut it off at, and then cut it a little past that bend.
    If you do not, you take the chance in making the string go dead by breaking the core.
    I will be snipping mine off after I make a bend in the string.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill SAS 513 View Post

Btw...here's to my reeeeeally smart wife who assisted in adding my avitar...look out Sergio, you want photos, you got 'em.
    Yeah buddy! How are you not gonna love a woman who listens to EW&F and gets you an avatar? Give her a hug from me.