Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: are PRS strings special?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3

    are PRS strings special?

    A few mos ago I bought an NF3 from a popular national chain that begins with G. It was the nicest playing guitar in the store, and probably the most fun/easiest playing guitar I've ever played; completely homey feel to the fretboard, effortless fretting and bending of strings easily 3 tones. Aside from that funky tone from the NF3's.

    It was setup with 10-46 gauge. I had been playing it every day and so 2 wks ago i put on new strings - no PRS strings in our local store so i put on some elixir's - same gauge. I am not sure, but i do not think it plays quite as well/easily as the strings it came setup with. I didn't change anything in the setup. Its still very very nice but not quite the magic feel that I experienced the first few mos.

    So my question is - are the PRS strings "special" in some way, is there something special about restringing this kind of guitar, or am I merely already used to the guitar (e.g. magic gone)? Since then I did get some PRS' online and i could check it directly, but the Elixir's are so new it seems a waste if people think there shouldn't be any difference.

    Eager for insight that any of you may have.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Chris528's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    759
    PRS come from factory with D'Addario strings, not PRS strings.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3
    oh, okay. i thought i read otherwise somewhere (or maybe that was only PRS' recommendation). i guess i should find out from the store what they may have put on.

  4. #4
    I like the PRS strings a lot. I was told they're pure nickel wrap, not nickel plated. I like the tone, and I prefer the feel. I find they also last a long time, though my hands are relatively dry so maybe that's part of why they last. In any event, that's all I put on the guitars.

    Also, I'll make a wild guess and say that whatever PRS puts on the guitars at the factory is the same string as the ones you can buy branded PRS, since I don't notice a difference in feel.

  5. #5
    Bobble Head Moderator JMintzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Potomac, MD
    Posts
    1,530
    D'addario strings made to PRS specs.

    The ones leaving the factory have the same stings...


    Jamie
    ---Jamie---

    My Gear

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    D'addario strings made to PRS specs.

    The ones leaving the factory have the same stings...


    Jamie
    That's what I figured. I really like the "soft" feel of these particular strings. They're definitely different from the standard D'Addarios. Tone's better with the pure nickel wrap, too. I grew up when all electric guitar strings were pure nickel wrap, not plated steel. I see that D'Addario is making a pure nickel wrap string under their own brand, too.

    For whatever reason, people didn't have to change their strings as often in the 60s to get a decent tone. If you played a lot, maybe you'd change them once a month, at most. I see players changing their strings after every show with steel wrapped, plated strings now. Seems like overkill to me, but then again, my hands don't sweat a lot.

    D'Addario's standard strings are just nickel plated steel, which sounds different, feels different from the PRS branded strings, and once the plating wears, the steel wrap is a little harder on the frets. So the PRS strings are my preference. Just my 2 cents, though.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 11-18-2012 at 06:34 PM.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    That's what I figured. I really like the "soft" feel of these particular strings. They're definitely different from the standard D'Addarios. Tone's better with the pure nickel wrap, too. I grew up when all electric guitar strings were pure nickel wrap, not plated steel. I see that D'Addario is making a pure nickel wrap string under their own brand, too.

    For whatever reason, people didn't have to change their strings as often in the 60s to get a decent tone. If you played a lot, maybe you'd change them once a month, at most. I see players changing their strings after every show with steel wrapped, plated strings now. Seems like overkill to me, but then again, my hands don't sweat a lot.

    D'Addario's standard strings are just nickel plated steel, which sounds different, feels different from the PRS branded strings, and once the plating wears, the steel wrap is a little harder on the frets. So the PRS strings are my preference. Just my 2 cents, though.
    Thanks LS and all the others. It sounds like I've already noticed the difference; when i get a chance I will take off the new Elixir's and put PRS'/D'add back on and log a brief report back....

  8. #8
    Senior Member clcwarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    300
    I also only use PRS strings for the same reasons Lshefman mentioned.

  9. #9
    Senior Member sleary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,447
    Prs strings are great. I've used every brand out there and the Prs feel the best .

  10. #10
    Junior Member frederico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Faro Portugal
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by onyaw View Post
    oh, okay. i thought i read otherwise somewhere (or maybe that was only PRS' recommendation). i guess i should find out from the store what they may have put on.
    I would like to know what strings are on my Hollow body 1 I bought it in January .These strings feel so different from the D addario strings that I have always used on my other guitars. The ball ends are not color coded so I don't know what they are ,the guitar came set up from the dealer with the present strings and although I have e mailed the dealer I'm still waiting for a reply .
    Last edited by frederico; 04-25-2015 at 11:06 AM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    355
    I tried elixir strings on my dgt it seemed like they deadend the sound,replaced them with daddario guitar came back to life.

  12. #12
    Yippy ki yay! xjbebop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Bottom left corner
    Posts
    450
    I received a dozen PRS strings as a promo a few years ago. They stretch to tune quickly and hold tune extremely well. I certainly noticed a difference in quality.....
    I love technology.... when it works....

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesboy998 View Post
    I tried elixir strings on my dgt it seemed like they deadend the sound,replaced them with daddario guitar came back to life.
    The elixir's have a coating intended to extend the life. I've been told the coating ads a little size to the string and slightly changes the intonation of the guitar. Do a Google search on them!

    Kurtis

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    184
    Coated strings always sound different. My nephew swears by them, because the acid in his fingers eats strings. I swear at them because I don`t like the tone.I do like PRS strings, and I also like D`Addario NYXL`s.

  15. #15
    Wood Grain Devotee markintime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    325
    Another vote for PRS strings here. That's all I'll buy from now on.
    Thought I made a mistake once... I was wrong.

    2003 Tacoma D9, 2013 Paul's Guitar, 2014 SE Angelus A10E, 2015 SE 30th Anniversary Custom 24, Ibanez 15 Tone Blaster, Blackstar HT Club 50, HTV 2x12 160w cab

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    832
    Usually PRS strings but I also like the Gibson Vintage Reissue strings almost much. Almost.

  17. #17
    Senior Member g.wizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    448
    I've been using PRS strings since I got my first PRS CU22 in 2008, my hands never sweat so they last a long time plus they stretch nicely and stays in tune,
    recently I put a Chuck Mangan's set for my 513(after 1 year withe the same PRS set LOL) to try them out they are as nice
    but I still prefer the PRS strings.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Suppalak Klabdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Posts
    255
    I use only Elixir nanoweb as my hands sweat a lot and non-coated strings could last only for a few days, including the one came with PRSi. I have no problem with the tone as well.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    35
    In his best Jeremy Clarkson voice.......Some say that they're woven from hairs taken from the manes of yearling Unicorns ? We know them as PRS Stigs, er strings !
    Last edited by BALIstic; 04-26-2015 at 11:19 AM.

  20. #20
    Name Manglin' Putz alantig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,148
    I use PRS strings on my CU24 because it came with 9.5s. I'm currently using PRS strings on my DGT because I got a bunch in the promo thing. Most everything else has Elixir Nanowebs, unless I decided to play w/something like DR Colors. No tone issues at all w/the Elixirs - in fact, they're my preference.
    Alan

    "I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •