Thread: are PRS strings special?

are PRS strings special?

A few mos ago I bought an NF3 from a popular national chain that begins with G. It was the nicest playing guitar in the store, and probably the most fun/easiest playing guitar I've ever played; completely homey feel to the fretboard, effortless fretting and bending of strings easily 3 tones. Aside from that funky tone from the NF3's.

It was setup with 10-46 gauge. I had been playing it every day and so 2 wks ago i put on new strings - no PRS strings in our local store so i put on some elixir's - same gauge. I am not sure, but i do not think it plays quite as well/easily as the strings it came setup with. I didn't change anything in the setup. Its still very very nice but not quite the magic feel that I experienced the first few mos.

So my question is - are the PRS strings "special" in some way, is there something special about restringing this kind of guitar, or am I merely already used to the guitar (e.g. magic gone)? Since then I did get some PRS' online and i could check it directly, but the Elixir's are so new it seems a waste if people think there shouldn't be any difference.

Eager for insight that any of you may have.

PRS come from factory with D'Addario strings, not PRS strings.

oh, okay. i thought i read otherwise somewhere (or maybe that was only PRS' recommendation). i guess i should find out from the store what they may have put on.

I like the PRS strings a lot. I was told they're pure nickel wrap, not nickel plated. I like the tone, and I prefer the feel. I find they also last a long time, though my hands are relatively dry so maybe that's part of why they last. In any event, that's all I put on the guitars.

Also, I'll make a wild guess and say that whatever PRS puts on the guitars at the factory is the same string as the ones you can buy branded PRS, since I don't notice a difference in feel.

D'addario strings made to PRS specs.

The ones leaving the factory have the same stings...

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    D'addario strings made to PRS specs.

The ones leaving the factory have the same stings...

Jamie
    That's what I figured. I really like the "soft" feel of these particular strings. They're definitely different from the standard D'Addarios. Tone's better with the pure nickel wrap, too. I grew up when all electric guitar strings were pure nickel wrap, not plated steel. I see that D'Addario is making a pure nickel wrap string under their own brand, too.

For whatever reason, people didn't have to change their strings as often in the 60s to get a decent tone. If you played a lot, maybe you'd change them once a month, at most. I see players changing their strings after every show with steel wrapped, plated strings now. Seems like overkill to me, but then again, my hands don't sweat a lot.

D'Addario's standard strings are just nickel plated steel, which sounds different, feels different from the PRS branded strings, and once the plating wears, the steel wrap is a little harder on the frets. So the PRS strings are my preference. Just my 2 cents, though.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 11-18-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    That's what I figured. I really like the "soft" feel of these particular strings. They're definitely different from the standard D'Addarios. Tone's better with the pure nickel wrap, too. I grew up when all electric guitar strings were pure nickel wrap, not plated steel. I see that D'Addario is making a pure nickel wrap string under their own brand, too.

For whatever reason, people didn't have to change their strings as often in the 60s to get a decent tone. If you played a lot, maybe you'd change them once a month, at most. I see players changing their strings after every show with steel wrapped, plated strings now. Seems like overkill to me, but then again, my hands don't sweat a lot.

D'Addario's standard strings are just nickel plated steel, which sounds different, feels different from the PRS branded strings, and once the plating wears, the steel wrap is a little harder on the frets. So the PRS strings are my preference. Just my 2 cents, though.
    Thanks LS and all the others. It sounds like I've already noticed the difference; when i get a chance I will take off the new Elixir's and put PRS'/D'add back on and log a brief report back....

I also only use PRS strings for the same reasons Lshefman mentioned.

Prs strings are great. I've used every brand out there and the Prs feel the best .