Thread: NGD 1st PRS SE

NGD 1st PRS SE

Hi, new here. I traded for a SE Singlecut in Antique white about a week ago. I wanted to go with black hardware, so I changed to black locking tuners and a black Wilkinson bridge. All I can say is WOW, I can't put this thing down, very happy with the overall quality, playability and tone. The neck feels great in my hand, fit and finish are beautiful. I'm digging the 25" scale, my first guitar with this scale. The only negative I can think of is the stock tuners do seem cheap and don't hold up to a lot of bending. The guitar I traded was an old 94 MIM Fender Tele that I did a refinish project on. I feel I came out waaay ahead on the deal. What do you guys think of the blacked out hardware look?

Last edited by Kong; 12-11-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Very cool, I love white guitars and the black hardware makes it look kinda mean!

now THAT is epic!
    Current: PRS SE Dave Navarro, Spear NF-II
    Gibson Les Paul Studio Goldtop P90, Dean Schenker Retro V Dean ML Silverburst
    Laney LH50 + 112V Cab
    Inbound - Sterling JP60 + (Possible) Ibanez RGD2120Z

Looks great! Welcome!
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE 30 Head/Cab

Very nice and welcome! Also it should come with a truss rod wrench and cable when new. My two SE's have.
    '96 CE-24 with Bird Inlays - VY | '91 CE-24 (road warrior) - VS | '06 SC Artist - Blue Matteo Satin | '12 Tremonti SE Custom | MESA Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by Artist View Post
    Very nice and welcome! Also it should come with a truss rod wrench and cable when new. My two SE's have.
    My bad, I got mine used and I thought I read somewhere that they don't ship with the truss rod wrench. I'll edit my post.

Thanks for the compliments and the welcome. Actually already thinking about a 2nd PRS SE. I saw a Tremonti SE in black listed in the NYC area for $200 on Craigs. Just a little outside where I'd like to travel, but seems like a deal. Was supposed to be mint about 4 months old.
    Last edited by Kong; 11-18-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    VERY elegant!
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Quote Originally Posted by bretwomack View Post
    Love it. The black tuners look great on that white headstock.
    Now I just have to get a black screw for the truss rod cover.

I like it! What brand of locking tuners did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by Plum-3 View Post
    I like it! What brand of locking tuners did you get?
    I got Sperzell-Style tuners from guitar fetish. Perfect fit and they seem to work great and the price was right. Pic is below:

Last edited by Kong; 11-19-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Awesome! They look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong View Post
    I got Sperzell-Style tuners from guitar fetish. Perfect fit and they seem to work great and the price was right. Pic is below:

Ugh, I'm about to buy two sets of locking tuners for my SE's, and these black ones look awesome and they're so much cheaper! My headstocks are black though.. wonder if they'd still look good. What kind of quality are these? I'm wondering because they don't seem to even have a brand name on the website and because of the price.

Thanks

Ugh, I'm about to buy two sets of locking tuners for my SE's, and these black ones look awesome and they're so much cheaper! My headstocks are black though.. wonder if they'd still look good. What kind of quality are these? I'm wondering because they don't seem to even have a brand name on the website and because of the price.

Thanks
    Yes they are not branded. I do think they have chrome and gold sets if you wanted to go that route. To me the quality is very good, definitely better than the stock tuners that were on there. I've bought a ton of stuff from GFS and I've never had any issues. I've only had them a couple of days but they are holding tune very well and I do a lot of bending. I will tell you that when they shipped this set they accidentally sent me one mini-tuner on the treble side, but when I let them know they immediately sent me a replacement of the correct size.

Would you mind taking a side view photo of your headstock so I can see how far the pole pieces stick out? I am also considering schaller tuners, but I am worried about the short pole pieces. I think I'd prefer the longer ones.

Thanks

Would you mind taking a side view photo of your headstock so I can see how far the pole pieces stick out? I am also considering schaller tuners, but I am worried about the short pole pieces. I think I'd prefer the longer ones.

Thanks
    Sure, here you go. Sorry for crappy quality of pic.