Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abbey Road Studio, London

Abbey Road Studio, London

Several weeks ago I traveled to England with my wife and son and we had a great time seeing amazing sights in various parts of the country. The people were warm and welcoming and the weather, for the most part, was pretty decent.

Although Abbey Road Studios are not open to the public, we were able to take a private tour of the facilities. Being a fan of the Beatles and popular music, it was a big thrill to be able to tour the studios. Abbey Road opened in 1931 as EMI Studio but due to the success of the Beatles, the name was later changed to "Abbey Road. There is a lot of history surrounding the place and it was amazing just to be in this space.

Our appointment was at 9AM and I find it is never a good idea to be late when someone is doing you a favor, so we arrived a few minutes early just to be safe.

It is a tradition to write on the wall surrounding AR, so my son had a go at it.

We had to do the "stairs shot" before going inside

various photos and records adorn the walls

Last edited by Shawn@PRS; 11-24-2012 at 03:24 PM.

An old Master cutting machine. The Master cuts the record on copper or another metal medium, it is then used to press vinyl records.

We went in to Studio 1 where the area was being used to record a symphony. Recently, Adel recorded the latest James Bond theme there

The control room contained an impressive console

Next we went on to the fabled Studio 2. The Beatles recorded almost their entire catalog in this room not to mention portions of Pink Foyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

A band was set up to begin recording there, but I never found out the name of the band. The studio tries to keep things quiet so that large crowds don't show up on their doorstep.

Some Beatles-era pianos were placed in the corner. The studio is so jammed with gear, that much of it is just shuffled from one area to another.

The mixing room and lounge of Studio 2 also hosts a nice mixing console.

Studio 2 WiFi password.

A big thrill to have my photo with my son in Studio 2. Maybe one day he'll think this is cool, but for now it's just another "room"

Then on to Studio 3, this is the most updated of the three studios.

An isolation booth in Studio 3. This is where Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" was recorded as were portions of "Dark Side of the Moon".

And of course, we did the obligatory Zebra Crossing!

We spent just over an hour inside Abbey Road and it was a memorable event that I feel fortunate to have experience.
    Last edited by Shawn@PRS; 11-24-2012 at 04:47 PM.

That's very cool, Shawn! What a great memory and experience!

That is awesome. You saw history :-). Something to tell the grandchildren about.

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Awesome photos Shawn!

Huge Floyd fan and also a Beatles fan so Abbey Road has always been on my go to list. Been there a couple of times but never inside. Very cool indeed!

Next time you're in England you'll have to take a trip upto Liverpool and look around Mathew Street and other Beatles sites.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Jealous!

---Jamie---

My Gear

Lucky!!!!
    One Life

This photo of me was taken about a month ago:

As was this one, with my three traveling companions

But damn, man, you got to do an actual tour?!???! Wow!

Shawn...what an amazing time and a fantastic memory. One day I am sure your son will look back on it fondly.

Kingsley...nice touch as McCartney without the shoes!!!
    -Bob

THANKS, FOR SHARING THAT WITH ALL OF US SHAWN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

So freaking cool man!
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

Can you have too many? Buildermike's Avatar
    Very cool, thanks for sharing your pics.

Warped frustrated old man John Scrip's Avatar
    One of the only stops I feel compelled to make if I ever get over on that side of the pond. I'm a mastering engineer by trade, so Abbey Road is 'Recording Industry Mecca' of sorts.
    John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering - Chicago IL
    2011 PRS Custom 24
    Proud Member of ROLBAMTMWAOBGMMPRSC24OA

Very cool! I did the crossing a couple years ago - I was in London for a business trip. I super-geeked it - on my way from work to the studio, I listened to the album and realized that because of the time difference, my wife was still at work - and there's a web cam at the crossing. She watched me do the crossing live. I only wish I'd thought to tell her to take a screen shot.

And they did open for limited public sessions earlier this year - not exactly tours, but a lot of history. A guy on another board I'm on made the trip and got to help play the "Day In The Life" chord on the actual piano.

And Ken Scott's book "Abbey Road To Ziggy Stardust" has some great stories about the place and some of the things that went on.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

I was severely impressed Herr Squid's Avatar
    Fantastic! I was near there for about a week in December of 2005. Didn't go looking for it, but I should have. I look at those shots and can't help but think of the scenes in Pink Floyd at Pompeii where they're recording Dark Side!

"...Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback...!?"

Fantastic Shawn!! Thank you for sharing!!!
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets
    2010 Mira Vintage Mahogany-Dragon 1 pup in bridge
    2012 Faded Blue Jean Burst 10 Top Tremonti
    2012 PRS Tremonti Custom SE Grey/Black PRS Phase 2 tuners, Mannmade 2000NOS Trem,Refret with DGT frets at PTC, USA nut, PRS USA pots and knobs

And great experience well told.
    Thanks Shawn.

Great pictures! Thanks
    '96 CE-24 with Bird Inlays - VY | '91 CE-24 (road warrior) - VS | '06 SC Artist - Blue Matteo Satin | '12 Tremonti SE Custom | MESA Roadster