Thread: 408 fretwire

408 fretwire

Can anyone confirm if the 408 has regular PRS fretwire or jumbo frets like on the DGT? Thanks all....praying the former.

On the specs page it just says 22 frets, whereas on the DGT page it says 22 jumbo frets. I'm with you, there are a lot of people who like the big DGT frets, but I like the regular size ones they use on most models.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

The ones on my Sig Ltd don't feel any different from the ones on my Artist V.

If that helps...
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

My 408 frets are smaller than my DGT's, but seem bigger than my McCarty 25th Anniversary...does that help?!?
    Paul's Guitar - Charcoal || DGT Std. - Frost Blue Metallic ||DGT 10 Top - Yellow Tiger || DGT Artist - Faded Blue Jean Tobacco Burst || C.A.D. Custom 50 2-Channel - Slate || 2x12 Pine Cabinet - Charcoal

My 408 has frets...
    Heh...check it out. Under my name, it says "member".

Straight from PRS:

"The 408 model would use the larger DGT style fret wire. "

Odd, my 408 frets don't feel like my 3 DGT frets...weird that they say they are the same. (I put DGT strings on my DGT's and .10's on my other guitars, but I think that would have the opposite effect on the feel.) Of course, there's a different neck carve at work too.
    Paul's Guitar - Charcoal || DGT Std. - Frost Blue Metallic ||DGT 10 Top - Yellow Tiger || DGT Artist - Faded Blue Jean Tobacco Burst || C.A.D. Custom 50 2-Channel - Slate || 2x12 Pine Cabinet - Charcoal

I just ordered a 408, has anyone been able to confirm the fret wire size? Mine has a Pattern neck
    "Just one more and then I promise, no more guitars honey!" - The phrase I say most to my wife

Searching for the sound tdarian's Avatar
    I wish they would just tell us which wire supplier they use, what formulation/spec it is, regardless of how they might custom dress the frets at install. In the past when I inquired as to which wire was on my 2005 ME1 I was told that it was the same wire as on my 2003 McCarty. They were not the same...McCarty frets were about .045 tall, the ME1 stock frets were .051 and a different width as I recall, I hated those frets! That guitar now has Jescar FW57110 (6100 DGT type) like all of my PRS and is way more to my liking.

I'm guessing that the information regarding the raw wire is "proprietary" but calipers will tell the tale.

Shawn, how close would the "regular" frets be to, lets say, Jescar FW47104 (6150 type)?
    If I Told You All That Went Down It Would Burn Off Both Of Your Ears

Send all your 408's to me and I'll compare them to my DGT lol

Shawn will soon chime in, he knows all.....
    2013 PRS DGT..
    2012 Ibanez RG 870 premuim
    2014 Prs se Clint Lowrey
    1988 Washburn G1V
    Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 36 with Saxon cabinet .