Hello! Was a member of Birds and Moons and joined here a while back but not been too active - figure I should say "Hi" properly!
In terms of 'me': I'm in my 30s, live in the UK, work in IT and have a moderate-to-serious obsession with guitars. Been in a few bands - initially original material stuff but now more on the covers side due to family/work commitments and - frankly - not having any time to write songs! Mostly play pubs/clubs but have done a couple of outdoor gigs - one to about 1000 people (mainly families - so lots of kids jumping around mentally in front of the stage which was cool!) at Fireworks night.
I was a long time Les Paul player (sacrilege!) and only really started looking at PRS guitars a couple of years back - having previously written them off as being for modern styles or metal only. I dunno, blame Nickelback ... Anyway, I relocated from London down to Bournemouth and joined a new band where we play anything from The Stones to Nirvana via the Sex Pistols and Green Day: heck, we've even got some Black Crowes in there. So, I started looking for more flexible guitars and had a fresh look at PRS.
I've had quite a few PRS guitars in that short time:
- Korina Standard 24 : Loved the wood, neck was too skinny for me.
- 25th Anniversay SAS : I don't know why I sold this. Oh, wait, it was to get the McCarty Artist ... *fool*
- 25th Anniversay Mira 245 Soapbar : Would have liked to have kept this for the sound but it felt too small and light. Wanna try a regular Mira one day.
- SC250 : What can I say - my LP roots started calling! Bad move - lovely guitar but pickups/vibe were not me at all.
- McCarty Artist Pack : Wow - this was an absolute stunner! Bought for looks/feel alone and lost my SAS in the process ... stupid, stupid ... nowhere near flexible enough ... but, oh, it was sooooo nice ......
So, as of just a few days ago, I'm now rocking a PRS 408 as my main guitar which seems to be perfect: feels and plays like the McCarty but has (probably even more!) flexible tones like the SAS. Very happy ... although I do kinda want a Frost Blue Metallic SAS Narrowfield to match, now ...
Gear wise, still got a couple of Gibsons (an SG and a Firebird) for 'vintage noodling' at home through my Bluesbreaker reissue combo and I run a Jackson Ampworks Newcastle 30 with my pedalboard for gigs.
So, why am I here? Like everyone else I want to drool and dream over Private Stock pictures but I like talking about anything gear wise, really: amps, pickups, guitars (obviously!) - just looking to shoot the sh!t with like minded folks.