Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trem, Hardtail, 2 pc. Bridge, or adjustable Hardtail........... what's your choice?

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisher View Post
    The wrap stoptail is perfect for me and a brilliant design. With Tone Pros studs it intonates perfectly and is just a no-brainer
    I have both, but have been phasing out the trems. Can't beat the tuning stability and ease of moving from Drop D to Std without fuss. With that being said, I despise the aluminum stoptail. It looks great and feels cool in your hand, it's obviously a well machined piece of metal, I just can't stand the tone. I wish new PRS's came with the adjustable instead, or at least gave you the option. I've bought two stoptail models this year (Mira, Std. 22), and went to Tonepros adj. right away. Never looked back, and the guitars sound exponentially better. Maybe they're someone's cup of tea, but for me, being able to precisely dial in the intonation....and the huge improvement in tone make the Tonepros adj bridge a no-brainer. I would love to try a PRS adj bridge on both of these, I happen to like the look a lot better, but can't get over the fact that the PRS unit is 2-3x the street price of the TP.

Bog stock non-adjustable wrapover for me. Simple and elegant design, and feels great under the hand.

I play hard and prefer the firmer attack of a stoptail, a trem makes me play and pick lighter. No bad thing I guess, but it feels less natural to me.

I love to use trems with certain styles of music. I'm all over it. Other styles I don't touch it.
    The stop tail works great for me and the intonation is spot on. It did take a little work nudging the allen screws but that's fine.
    Never tried the PRS two piece so I don't know. I probably would like it.

I like all of the PRS bridges. What I don't like are old Fender Tele and Strat bridges with sharp edges and those little screws that poke my hand. As for PRS trems, I prefer the old one-piece Mann Made unit. I think they sound better. But if the guitar had the 2 piece trem, those larger brass trem blocks do make 'em sound better.
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

I probably need to get educated on the terminology here.

Wraptail is obvious I guess, but the term "adjustable wraptail" was used. A regular wraptail is bulk adjustable in that the angle can be changed, but I'm guessing that "adjustable" here means the ones with the saddles built in to it? Didn't even know that PRS used that type of bridge.

And "two piece" means here the ABR-1 style? I ask because the "two-piece" was compared to a TOM.....meaning, I think, in comparison with a Gibson ABR-1 or Nashville bridge?

In any case, the only three types of bridges that I have on my PRS guitars are the fixed wraptail with the main intonation set by the geometry of the piece and the angle of the piece, the 2-piece on the SC-58 (which I, probably wrongly, call a TOM) and the trem.

I can't really tell a tonal difference between any of them (other than the ability of the trem to .... well.... trem... of course.) Feel-wise, I don't even notice the difference between the 2-piece TOM style and the wraptial unless I conciously ask myself to think about it. I don't like the trem as much, but that's mainly because I rarely use it, and I can be a bit of an ape when I play and unintentionally have my right hand press down on the trem when I don't want to. I have two Signature Limiteds....one with trem and one with a wraptail and can't tell the tonal difference, which is probably as good of an A/B comparison as there is. But I'm sure that others here could tell the difference if their ears are well trained.

Once you've played all scales, types, and tails, it starts to not matter much.
    I've spent a lot of time and effort fining 'my config'
    As it turns out I found inspiration in all types of bridge configs and scale lengths etc
    Some prefer one over another
    PRS is my latest adulation infatuation because it feels right, sounds great, and seems to be the best all around for me

Quote Originally Posted by BostonGuitar View Post
    ALL

Full floating tremolo for me. I like the feel of the "give" in the strings when I play. I even tend to overbend on fixed bridge guitars.

I've played all four types, all were comfortable. The one(s) I own though are the adjustable wrap-around. Simple, and elegant, and quite a bite more comfortable then the TOM string though body I have, plus I can intonate for any tuning I've tried.

I prefer trems. Not only do I prefer the option of doing dive-bombs if I want to, but hardtails- especially two piece bridges (like TOM's) are starting to feel more strange to rest my picking hand on for some reason.

None of them give me a problem. I have no trem guitars. Stoptail(1), adjustable stoptail(3) and a newer 2 piece. I feel comfortable on any of them.

10 o' Clubs & GC SalesRep OsirisProtocol's Avatar
    I'm a trem guy based on feel. I don't use the trem except for a flutter here and there when the mood hits me. I just really dig the feel of a tremolo bridge while playing. I can get along with the wrap around bridge just fine but I still prefer the trem. I have yet to play a PRS with the 2pc bridge but I'm looking forward to it.
    -Denny
    BAM Survivor

I like the sound of tremolos but lately i like to block them.I have built 2 partocasters with the Fender Eric Clapton body as the basis.They use the woodblock,works and sounds great,for the PRS i use the tremol-no.
    I de-modded my CU22 soapbar and made a factory spec setup.Im in love again.I very much believe now PRS guitars are perfect as they are.