Thread: Return to Standards

Return to Standards

Seems like around 2007-08 or so PRS decided to do away with the Standards - no more solid mahogany carved top models. But recently, we've seen the DGT standard and 408 standard pop up as models. Will there be a return to the old days? Stripped 58 Standard? Standard 24?
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Man - all hog is HARD to beat!!!!!
    - Dane

“He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

Quote Originally Posted by Danerada View Post
    Man - all hog is HARD to beat!!!!!
    +1

I had a Standard 24 Private Stock. It got no love. No love, that it, until It got played.
    One Life

The early Standards sound much better than their Custom counterparts.............. IMHO
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

I had a standard 22 satin finish that I sold that I'd LOVE to replace! If they re-introduce the standards I'd buy one for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    The early Standards sound much better than their Custom counterparts.............. IMHO
    If you are talking '85/86 with original T pickup I agree. After the pickup changes the tone gap got closer.

LOVE my SC HB Standard. I used to spend a lot of time in a local shop, mostly trying out amps. It seemed that every time I went in, I picked up this lonely SC HB Standard that never seemed to get any attention. At first, I thought every amp I played through sounded really amazing. Before I dropped $100K on every amp in the shop, I tried a couple other guitars and realized what an amazing guitar it was. I almost immediately took a chance and had the PTC install 57/08s. It's an amazing combo.

I'm very excited to see some more Standards pop up. I'm thinking a 408 Piezo Standard!!!

LOVE my 2000 St22/ Trem! Ditched the Dragon 2 pickups and loaded it with Tom Short's Tombuckers. Never fails to bring a smile to my face.
    I still think that PRS guitars were just meant to be mahogany tone machines.
    Wish I knew how to post pics. My Standard is in Walnut Stain - it's beautiful!

I bought a Std 22 satin a few weeks back. Just incredible. I'm reconsidering my love for my maple-topped PRS'. Such underrated guitars. I'm looking to get a 408 Std in the next few months, but I would LOVE to see the Std reintroduced. A 22 with 59/09's? You betcha!

do you want to part with dragon 2 pickups? I love those pickups.

Quote Originally Posted by gush View Post
    do you want to part with dragon 2 pickups? I love those pickups.
    Only because I'm curious what it would sound like. Since I already have Std with DII's, I'm covered there. Great combo, BTW.

I have a STD with Dragon 1's. Best tone I own.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2008 Mira, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2012 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

My next guitar will most likely be a standard. 408 or DGT. Or both! Love the ALL-HOG.

Love the hog. 3 of my 5 are standards. 2 Mc's & 1 SC.

I wouldn't mind a 408 standard
    Does it come with a trem option ?
    OMG, I have G.A.S now
    Off to look at options now !

+3 with Markie and Ron. Those early Standards kick it, the #9 position is HONK CITY!

they should have that satin finish back on the hog guitars. I mean, that one they made a few years back for Std22 and Std 24. So bad ass!!!