Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IF you had won the half-billion...

Mine is rather different. I want a good doctor. One that actually cares about fixing my issues. I figure a few hundred million and I could at least find one somewhere.

Probably a custom house with a completely soundproof studio/rehearsal space. I don't care about the rest of the house really, I just want a badass place to play music all day.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

10 o' Clubs & GC SalesRep OsirisProtocol's Avatar
    1) New house for the lady and I. Nothing crazy but something comfortable with a few of the "extras" I've always dreamed of.
    2) New house for my mother either in the states or back home in Barbados. Her choice.
    3) Family vacation. I can already imagine the planning nightmare this will turn into. Fairly large family with crazy ideas.
    4) Pay off all my school loans.
    5) Two cars for the lady and I.
    6) Trip to the Wood Library to spec out a few guitars I've been dreaming up.
    7) Set aside a chunk for future kids college funds and life expenses.
    8) Donate a large sum to a few choice charities.
    -Denny
    BAM Survivor

I'm not sure how I would do it. I have had to work my butt off for every single dime I have ever gotten. I have worked and bought everything myself since I was 11 yrs old. We were not well off. Lots of love in family, best parents I could ask for, but not much $$$.

Pass me that kind of money, I probably still save it, invest it, hold on to it like I have done all my life. I certainly wouldn't waste it.

ahhh, who am I kidding!

I'd buy a nice, yet modest, house on the water for my wife. She's always wanted to live on the water.
    Then I'd buy us some new cars. Again nice, but nothing crazy.
    After that I'd take a kick ass trip and I'd fly first class. No more flying coach.
    For the bulk of the money I would set up a foundation with a board of directors. That way the money could be given out to various charities in an appropriate and equitable way.

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    ...what would have been your 1st major purchase? And why?

It had to cross your mind. How often does Powerball get that crazy?

I would buy my friend Hans a brand new PRS.
    Why? Hey, what are friends for?
    From the People's Republic of Maryland (One beer away from the West Street Shop)

GO NATS!

I honestly would take the majority of it and establish a foundation that funds school music programs for schools that have had to cut theirs. It's been a dream of mine to do something like that for a long time, and I would also secretly buy guitars/basses/amps for kids that can't afford them. And the kids who are really passionate about guitars, I would take them on trips to the Wood Library and let them spec out a guitar of their very own. That's my dream.
    "He's kind of like a bear at a campsite...you think he's cute and kind of want to hug him, but in the end you know he's dangerous and is going to stomp on your tent and eat all your food..." - martysnarf

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    For the bulk of the money I would set up a foundation with a board of directors. That way the money could be given out to various charities in an appropriate and equitable way.
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawk36 View Post
    I honestly would take the majority of it and establish a foundation that funds school music programs for schools that have had to cut theirs. It's been a dream of mine to do something like that for a long time, and I would also secretly buy guitars/basses/amps for kids that can't afford them. And the kids who are really passionate about guitars, I would take them on trips to the Wood Library and let them spec out a guitar of their very own. That's my dream.

Well of course the shiny new cars and parties come before the foundation.

Honestly, I watched a documentary about the late great racecar drive Aryton Senna and he gave me the idea. As he gained fame and fortune, more and more people came out of the woodwork asking for money. He had to set up a foundation so that all request had to be vetted for authenticity.

Not to derail the thread, but if anyone hasn't seen the movie "Senna", watch it now it's amazing!

My first purchase would be a new guitar for Hans.
    You're never too old for tater tots.

Quote Originally Posted by hippietim View Post
    My first purchase would be a new guitar for Hans.
    Red, white, and blue, please. Star inlays... 408's...

Quote Originally Posted by Rosewoodsteel View Post
    I would buy my friend Hans a brand new PRS.
    Why? Hey, what are friends for?
    [warm fuzzy]
    One Life

A Top (and Heart) of Gold Goldtop's Avatar
    My first move would be to get in touch with a gifted financial expert, and maybe an attorney. Opportunists would come out of the woodwork at a lottery winner and I'd want to be prepared for them.

For practical needs, I guess I would probably start with a new(er) vehicle. I have a tired Dodge pickup from the 80's with nearly a million miles on it. I also have a mechanic that I pay a little to every month. That says it all. I don't need a brand new whatever off of the showroom floor, but something newer that I was pretty sure would start whenever I needed it would be nice.

For pure, selfish enjoyment, I'd like to have a PRS Goldtop with birds. Either a Stripped 58, or a DGT. And if I had lottery money, then a nice Paisley covered amp to go along with them would be nice too, maybe a HX/DA.

I love animals, so I'd like to do something to help them. Not as in donate to the ASPCA, or one of those groups, (which would be fine by the way I guess), but I mean something more along the lines of finding some small shelters around the country and covering their costs. Maybe pay to have a vet retained for a year for meds, operations, etc. Make it so that for the next x number of years, no animals at the shelter would need to be put down. Help with advertising to get adoptions up. Patch a leaky roof. Pay their back taxes to keep their doors open.

Then, I'd like to set up a group in however many cities and towns I could, and do this: Go out, find people who need help, and help them. For a number of year back when I was married, around Christmastime I used to do something I called "The GTs". It stood for "Go to Them". Here's how it worked:

I would go buy bags of groceries, and various toys, clothes, toiletries, etc. I would end up with the bed of my pickup filled with stuff. Then, I'd pick a day, and just go drive around in the poor parts of town, find a house or kid that looked like they could use it, and stop. I'd knock on their door, bring them out to the pickup, and they could take whatever they needed. A bag of food? It was there. A toy or two? Fine. Some gloves or a sweater? Go for it. I'd see if they needed to go anywhere and offer to take them. Or sometimes I'd offer them a little cash, maybe for that past due light bill, or the gas that was about to be shut off, or a new tire for the clunker in the driveway that I'd seen sitting up on a block for weeks. Not huge amounts of money; twenty or thirty bucks. Whatever I had on me. I never asked for too many details, and I never needed them. It wasn't rocket science. I could see the need and I tried to help.

People usually accepted it. On one or two occasions, they didn't. They were almost always suspicious in the beginning, but after I talked to them a bit they understood where I was coming from. No strings, no red tape, no organizations to register with, no riding the bus across town and sitting through 'talks' all day for a few cans of pie filling to take home. Just simple help then and there with no questions asked. (It is incredibly difficult to bring yourself to reach out and ask for help. Trust me; I know. This did away with that problem.)

I'd make three or four trips doing this around the holidays. I did them alone at first because I knew it wasn't my wife's cup of tea. When I finally did approach her with the idea of joining me, she was skeptical to say the least. She never did totally come around to the idea, but to her credit she did go out and help me a few times. (One year I picked the toys, she picked the food, and we both picked the clothes. That was a good year.) She was always telling me I was asking to get my throat cut, yet never once did anything threatening or uncomfortable take place. Not once. These were poor people, not criminals. BIG difference!

I'm not able to do that kind of thing anymore, and it's one of the few things about what I call 'my old life' that I truly miss. To be honest, I'm barely keeping myself afloat now. Maybe it's selfish of me, but I used to love making those trips. I looked forward to it all year long, and if I had won that lottery, I would start it all up again on a grand scale. And I would fix my stupid mistake of only doing it during the holidays. This time around it would be on a regular basis throughout the year.

GT aka Goldtop
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

A Top (and Heart) of Gold Goldtop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
    Mine is rather different. I want a good doctor. One that actually cares about fixing my issues. I figure a few hundred million and I could at least find one somewhere.
    newfmp3,

I feel for you. I have too many health problems of my own to get into, so I know what it's like to deal with it all along with the indifference (or worse, incompetence) of some doctors, nurses, and the like.

I'm with you in spirit for what it's worth.

Lloyd/Goldtop
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

I would buy Hostess so I could still eat Twinkies!!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldtop View Post
    newfmp3,

I feel for you. I have too many health problems of my own to get into, so I know what it's like to deal with it all along with the indifference (or worse, incompetence) of some doctors, nurses, and the like.

I'm with you in spirit for what it's worth.

Lloyd/Goldtop
    thanks bud

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    I only wish

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!