Thread: Which of the 3 new PRS vintage-style pickups sounds woodiest?

Which of the 3 new PRS vintage-style pickups sounds woodiest?

I'm thinking about replacing the Archtops in my 20th anni H2 with something that would bring out more of "woody" tone; meaning more plummy, like a more-traditional hollowbody. Has anyone compared the 57/08s, 59/09s or 53/10s in this respect? Or am I already there with the Archtops that are in the axe?
    Thanks!

Can you have too many? Buildermike's Avatar
    I have the archtops in my HBII and the 57/08s in a ScHB. To me the archtops sound like a more traditional archtop guitar than the 57s. YMMV

I can't answer as to comparing the Archtops themselves to any of the three, however I do have guitars with all three pickup types and have played quite a few guitars with different variations of these three pickup types (57/08, 59/09 and 53/10). I love all three, btw. I think the release order (as I just listed them, and as evidenced by the release year in the name (2 digits after the slash)), goes from brightest (57/08) to warmest (53/10). The wood in the guitar will also affect the brightness or warmth of the guitar, but after playing more variations than most sane people that don't work for PRS, work in a music store, or play in a lucrative big name act would, I can pretty safely draw this conclusion. With that said, I think OF THOSE THREE, if I understand what you mean by "Woody," I would say the 53/10's. Again, I can't compare them to the Archtops, though my guess would be the Archtops would probably already be more "woody" anyway.

I'd also say 53/10s, especially the neck pickup.

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    53/10s. Hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by rickfisher View Post
    I can't answer as to comparing the Archtops themselves to any of the three, however I do have guitars with all three pickup types and have played quite a few guitars with different variations of these three pickup types (57/08, 59/09 and 53/10). I love all three, btw. I think the release order (as I just listed them, and as evidenced by the release year in the name (2 digits after the slash)), goes from brightest (57/08) to warmest (53/10). ...
    You think the 5708 is brighter than the 5708? Not me. I would say the 5909 is the brightest, then the 5708, and then the 5310. I would suggest there is a reason PRS picked the 5310 for the P22 ...
    Bill

PRS Private Stock #3568
    PRS Swamp Ash Special
    Mesa Mark V combo
    Fishman Loudbox Artist