Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are You Master Of Your Own Tone Domain?

Quote Originally Posted by Harker1440 View Post
    I would like to think I have my own sound
    you do. but you still have some from the influences. look at what we buy to get as close as we can. it is fun......expensive to some. i'm at the point where i can look at most of what i use & feel good with it. best advice.........turn up. that brings out plenty of tonal character.........when you can & not get the cops called

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Your tone is instantly recognizable. Even in your many pickup tests, guitar comparisons, etc. Sounds great, by the way.
    Thanks Les. I used to think it was a work in progress, but I finally gave in to what seemed to always happen naturally.
    Chris Reynolds...Nashvegas TN
    CR Guitar Demos
    More guitars than I can afford!
    #1 fan of Doug "DA MAN" Sewell!!

As far back as I can remember, I've always had the tones in mind that I was after, and I've always worked towards getting them. I've never been very good at copping someone else's sound or style, so I just do my own thing. Whether it's good or not to anyone else is another question...

Lloyd
    'And the answer is... none. None more Gold.'

Slowly but surely I am becoming my own tone master. I am figuring out the wood/pup/amp combos that work for me. It's a lot of fun figuring all of that out. All of this might mean something if I were a working musician, but I am not. So for whatever its worth...yeah I am finding it and having fun doing it...I guess that is the point though, huh?
    - Dane

He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.

I do pay attention to some other players -- but it's more about trying to learn things that will help me get my own sound more together than it is trying to sound "like them." I've played for long enough that I sound like myself whether or not I'm consciously attempting to do so.

Here's what I sounded like as of last week. (the track is a demo of a tune for a hopefully-gonna-happen-soon new CD)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...ongID=12025507

Quote Originally Posted by kingsleyd View Post
    I do pay attention to some other players -- but it's more about trying to learn things that will help me get my own sound more together than it is trying to sound "like them." I've played for long enough that I sound like myself whether or not I'm consciously attempting to do so.

Here's what I sounded like as of last week. (the track is a demo of a tune for a hopefully-gonna-happen-soon new CD)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...ongID=12025507
    Kingsley, I just listened to the demo, and loved it! The writing is together, the tones are great, the playing is superb. I especially loved it when you cut loose toward the end.

Impressive stuff!

After hearing two live recordings of myself, made two years apart, with different bands and different gear, I've realized that for better or worse I sound like me.

When I started out, there were a lot of Stevie Ray Vaughan-abees out there, so I really resented sound-a-likes. I've taken a lot of inspiration from players, but never tried to cop style or tone exactly. Possibly at first because I didn't have the skill and I decided to carve my own way.
    --Garrett--