Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How has your gear budget changed over the years?

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Yup. Studio gear and guitar gear are always doing battle for the available funds.
    A friend/band mate of mine is in that boat. He makes his money mixing and as a touring guitarist. Add to that, he's an accomplished drummer and does some drum work on the side. He's got plenty of places to spend his gear money, that's for sure. Currently, he doesn't want to record our band until he can afford a better pre-amp.
    --Garrett--

Quote Originally Posted by 11top View Post

I think I have this right Steve...feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah...those laws on Brazilian Rosewood seriously throws a crimp in acquisition plans. You were going fine for a while...then regs change and well...it dries up. For consolation though...At least of the ones you own the valuation chart is an inversion of your original!
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    What's a gear budget? My youngest is starting college next year, and wants to be a Veterinarian. I'm looking at 8 years of tuition...
    I've got 2 in school at the same time. That's 8 years of tuition in 4 years.

My gear orgy started at 14, also, giving me a head start when stuff was relatively less expensive. The Les Paul Deluxe cost $478. The first stompbox cost $35. The first serious tube amp cost $425. But by 17, I was also a weekend bracket racer and that took ALL of my money.

The biggest positive attribute of being a conservative buyer is that I buy for a lifetime. The Twin I bought in '85 was recently the first piece of gear I've ever sold. Ever. So, while I don't have nearly the gear that most of you guys have, I've been very selective in what I do have and held on to it. But with all this 'influence', I'm glad my budget is limited because I'd be in a LOT of trouble otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    Shame you don't have any nice guitars to play. But the hook is set deep, it must be like cutting off a junkie.
    Pretty much...
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, Paul insists that SE doesn't stand for Student Edition. That said, he didn't clarify what SE does stand for.
    Don't we have a DVD kicking around where the acronym is defined? I want to say that i hear Carlos's voice talking it