Thread: P22 players: Which strings do you use for best acoustic/magnetic sounds?

P22 players: Which strings do you use for best acoustic/magnetic sounds?

I recently got a P22 and LOVE it. I used to play a Godin LGX-SA with elixir nano web 11s and the acoustic sound with the piezos was da bomb. The P22 acoustic is nice, but in a mellow way. Not much of a phosphor zing. But the PRS strings make the magnetics sound supercalifreakin awesome with a great mellow chimey sound.

On my Godin I tried the 'zebra' strings with alternate windings of bronze/nickel, D'Addario nickel coated, DR, and only the Elixers sounded balanced and wore well (DR sounds good but the sound dies in 2 weeks).

So what strings do you use and why? I'm looking for that magic balance where acoustic and magnetic are as good as both can be. Talk amongst yourselves...

I also started my electric/ acoustic combo on a Godin LGX (non-synth) and over the acoustic sound. I tried pretty much everything, including phosphor bronze sets. On that guitar, I settled on 11-52 D'Addario XL nickel wraps, because I thought the mag pickups really suffered with anything truly acoustic.

On my P22, I've played around a little, but have come back to those same strings, but in 10-46s. That said, I also run the piezo through a compressor to a DI and then to the PA, not to an amp. The compressor is just barely on and it lets me change the mix quickly, if I need to fill a different space.

When I was experimenting with the Godin, I do remember coming across a set of electric/acoustic-specific strings. I can't remember who made them, but I'll see if I can figure it out. Might be worth a try.

well so far I am using the factory prs strings. 10s. What I found though before going to PA was I could get a much better acoustic tone by running through an LR Baggs Para DI. It makes things just POP! turns the tone from mellow into a sharp bolder acoustic tone. play with EQ some and presence knob and it can fool many for acoustic sound. so for me now I will stay that way. With the p22 the electric tone is my first priority then acoustic but with this set up I have found I really don`t need to compromise.
    2010 Taylor 816CE
    2014 S2 Singlecut Antique White with PRS \m/ pickups!

I'm thinking of trying Thomastik Pwr Brite in 10s. They are brass coated steel and are known for their beautiful chimey clean and searing overdrive. We'll see how that translates into acoustic sound with the piezos. Expensive though at $19 a set.

Good thread ... as a fairly new P22 owner, I'd be interested in as much feedback as possible on what strings have been tried and which were settled on and why. I didn't like the strings that GC put on it when I bought it ... they were too acoustic sounding for the magnetic side ... I haven't settled on anything yet and would like to try some of the recommendations here ... the "trick" is to have strings that sound good in all 3 modes, mag/mix/Piezo ...
    -- Scriptor
    Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-conten...amah-mix-2.mp3
    For more very simple demos of original music: http://www.ricklangdon.com
    2006 CU22 - Amber / 2012 P22 - Black Gold Burst (quilt)

I think the PRS 10 strings sounds great for both on my P24.

I recently changed out the nut on a Strat of mine to bone, and while I was filiing the slots, I decided to try the Ernie Ball Cobalts. I play 9's usually, so I ordered a set and when I played it, I was shocked at how acoustic they sounded. Naturally when I bought my P22, it was the first thing I thought of when the vendor asked me how I wanted it set up and what set of strings I wanted. I play mainly on the acoustic setting, so I have spent alot of time getting to know how they react. I couldnt be happier with them. One thing to note: when I bought the 9's, I noticed there was a substantial difference in the flexibility of them (i.e. they felt like 8's) so when I ordered the P22 I ordered it set up with 10's. It is a blast to play this thing live, and especially with my loop station!

Quote Originally Posted by Nodealcreel View Post
    I recently changed out the nut on a Strat of mine to bone, and while I was filiing the slots, I decided to try the Ernie Ball Cobalts. I play 9's usually, so I ordered a set and when I played it, I was shocked at how acoustic they sounded. Naturally when I bought my P22, it was the first thing I thought of when the vendor asked me how I wanted it set up and what set of strings I wanted. I play mainly on the acoustic setting, so I have spent alot of time getting to know how they react. I couldnt be happier with them. One thing to note: when I bought the 9's, I noticed there was a substantial difference in the flexibility of them (i.e. they felt like 8's) so when I ordered the P22 I ordered it set up with 10's. It is a blast to play this thing live, and especially with my loop station!
    I've been seeing good things (here and elsewhere) on the cobalts. I'll give 'em a try. Thanks!

Update: I tried the Thomastik-Infeld Power Brights. Really nice strings. Extremely even across all 6 and a very different feel than any other strings I've tried (Power brights have bronze coated pain steel and magnecore wound). Both acoustic and electric tones are very forward. They sound great and I get great comments on the tone, but they are a bit too forward for me. But dramatically more articulate than the stock PRS strings.

I'm on a quest to find the perfect strings for my style and tone. I just put on some Pyramid pure Nickel 'maximum performance' which have silver plated plain steel and pure nickel round wound. VERY nice in feel and tone. A bit more laid back than the power brights but still very articulate. I think the silver plate helps give that acoustic zing... just a touch. Next to try are the Thomastik blues slides which are pure nickel round wound also. And then Curt Magnan pure nickel. All 10s.

I had no idea how much materials affect tone. And within the same material, such different feels and tone. I'll keep everyone updated on my quest...

D'Addario makes a set of 10's w/a wound G-string. To my ears, the wound G makes it sound much more "acoustic" like. The plain G is too thin...

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

I use PRS 9.5s ...
    Bill

PRS Private Stock #3568
    PRS Swamp Ash Special
    Mesa Mark V combo
    Fishman Loudbox Artist

I'm still using my stockpile of PRS 10's