Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone asked the Private Stock boys for something & they scratch their heads?

Has anyone asked the Private Stock boys for something & they scratch their heads?

I get crazy ideas. "REALLY" you say. So at the EXP I asked the young man at his PS table if they could do this crazy thing I actually had a real dream about. He calls over someone else....more head scratching. (maybe there is a lice problem up there?) Everyone thought it sounded very cool & they said no one had ever asked for this request. One guy said "make sure you don't tell the guys in Indiana about this"! SO...fast forward a few months & I do a formal request thru a VERY patient dealer, thank Derek, and we get more head scratching. They gave me lots of options to draw me away from the original idea (all in the name of tone) but that wasn't what was in my dream. I also can't get the idea out of MY head.
    I'm not giving it away yet. I will say that I found a much, much, much less pricey way to see if my idea works & Shawn is now in on this. Oh yea, Shawn, this project is a secret. Forgot to tell you about that. If you want to do any pics during the process, that's fine with me.
    So, back to my question....what's the craziest thing you've wanted on a PS (or any guitar for that matter) ?
    BTW, that crazy tree-of-life, MIDI, piezo beauty in the dealer section is crazy & I love it! True "Do it all" guitar.
    Chris Reynolds...Nashvegas TN
    CR Guitar Demos
    More guitars than I can afford!
    #1 fan of Doug "DA MAN" Sewell!!

Quote Originally Posted by crgtr View Post
    "One guy" said "make sure you don't tell the guys in Indiana about this"!
    Dammit Paul!

Last edited by 11top; 12-04-2012 at 02:26 PM.
    Sh*tter's full

I've been working on a special top finish with Paul Miles for over a year now. We haven't quite come to terms with making it work in quite the way I want it but we are getting close. The first try became dragon's breath.

I also found a top I really didn't want to cover up, so asked them if they would build it with just a piezo - no pickups.

And not a PRS, but I did carve out the sides of a guitar so I could play it with a bow. At the time I had some challenges with balance in the sound because of the varying height of the strings, but that problem is solvable now.

Wow Chris, you let the cat out of the bag early.

It should be another fun project!

Quote Originally Posted by 11top View Post
    Dammit Shawn!
    Fixed it!
    Sh*tter's full

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post

No cats.....no bags.....just a boy & a dream....... Let's see if it works before I start cat herding!
    CR Guitar Demos

Built-in cigar cutter, ashtray, torch lighter with Cohiba graphics inlayed into the wood?

BTW, when we're talking about the past tense of the verb "to inlay" is that inlayed or inlaid?
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

Can you have too many? Buildermike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post

I'm just surprised Chris has not posted a video about it

Quote Originally Posted by Buildermike View Post
    I'm just surprised Chris has not posted a video about it
    Still working on getting an HDMI port into my brain so I can record my dreams. I can tell you that the ear will not work with that cable!
    CR Guitar Demos

I'm too scared to ask, but I still want to see if a studio siggy is possible, as in a 408 with an extra bass PU, 5-way blade and mini-toggle to make a 6xx (I worked it out one day but I can't remember, I think it was 20 something pickup combos). Might have to be 3 x bass "408s" to fit them in there.

Add a piezo and it just gets ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad737 View Post
    Built-in cigar cutter, ashtray, torch lighter with Cohiba graphics inlayed into the wood?
    Oh I am ALL over this!!!!
    - Dane

He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.

Still working on getting an HDMI port into my brain so I can record my dreams. I can tell you that the ear will not work with that cable!
    There's a dongle for that...and it doesn't go in the ear. Technology can be a cruel mistress.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    There's a dongle for that...and it doesn't go in the ear. Technology can be a cruel mistress.
    HAHAHAHHA!!!!
    - Dane

He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Has anyone asked the Private Stock boys for something & they scratch their heads?
    Maybe not scratching their heads, per se, but certainly looking at me like I'm insane - which may well be accurate).

A West Street Style, semi-hollow guitar with a brass plug on the side. The internal holes sealed with silicon. Memento Mori inlaid on the fretboard. A skull inlaid on the headstock with my birth date engraved and a blank spot for the date of my passing. The nut made of bone. My bone. That one was Paul Miles' idea. And when I die? My ashes will be poured into the guitar and the rest of the headstock engraved.

When my friends miss me, they can get me out and play a few tunes with me. That's bone tone, baby.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    Maybe not scratching their heads, per se, but certainly looking at me like I'm insane - which may well be accurate).

A West Street Style, semi-hollow guitar with a brass plug on the side. The internal holes sealed with silicon. Memento Mori inlaid on the fretboard. A skull inlaid on the headstock with my birth date engraved and a blank spot for the date of my passing. The nut made of bone. My bone. That one was Paul Miles' idea. And when I die? My ashes will be poured into the guitar and the rest of the headstock engraved.

When my friends miss me, they can get me out and play a few tunes with me. That's bone tone, baby.
    What the hell were you drinking when you came up with that???
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    What the hell were you drinking when you came up with that???
    I was drinking Life. From a fountain!

I'll stop there. No religious discussions allowed.
    One Life

I have been called a dumba$$ in the Wood Library..............

I have been told "No, that will sound like sh*t"

Hehehe!
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post

What would be really cool is if, when you passed...you were reincarnated as the next Dalai Lama and remembered this whole process....then you obtained the guitar, and played it as a memorial to yourself.
    That would be the best PRS artist endorsement EVER. I can see it now...the next Dalai Lama, sitting on a peak in the Himilayas...and being video'ed ripping a heavy metal tune on this PRS. Cool!

Long before the Al Demeola prism model, I suggested a multicolor fade and was told it wouldn't work and would look like crap.

Long before it appeared in production, I suggested a singlecut hollowbody.

Long before it appeared in production, I suggested a piezo solid body.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm one of the little lightbulbs in their heads....
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

I ordered a plain-Jane guitar. I'm sure guessing there was some head scratching...

"What color?"

"The guy wants something very plain."

"OK, what inlays?"

"He says he wants stock."

"No bling?"

"Nope. Can we do one without extra bling?"

"I dunno, no one's ever asked for that."

"What wood did he pick out at the Wood Library?"

"He didn't. Left it up to his dealer."

"Uhm...are you sure this guy is, you know, normal?"

"Have you read his posts on the Forum? He's absolutely nuts."

"Gotcha. Well, we'll give him what he wants, I guess..."
    Last edited by LSchefman; 12-05-2012 at 01:27 PM.