Thread: What is your "Get out of a funk" ritual?

What is your "Get out of a funk" ritual?

Everyone gets them... when you just don't feel like playing, or everything you play feels or sounds the same... That feeling that you lost something. How does everyone deal with this?

I know when I get it, I try to listen to some music that I never usually do, or just jam with some stuff that I never do. I try to learn something new as well, usually from a Guitar World magazine column or online column. Even if it's just a little riff or a new piece of a scale. Something fresh to kick around... (The Guitar Grimoire works really well too).

If all else fails... I buy new gear. That seems to be the fix-all for every ailment.

Thoughts?

Peace, Matt
    ~ Matt

PRS HX/DA | 2x12 Stealth Cab | 2011 Stripped 58 - Angry Larry | 2000 Custom 22 - Dark Cherry Burst
    1985 Takamine GX-100 | 1993 Jackson Soloist XL Pro |Martin Acoustic | Ibanez Acoustic

I go to a completely different type of guitar and style of music. Most often I make a point of playing classical before touching anything else. Then I'll punish myself with some Ted Greene progressions.

Watching other people do it motivates me.

I left that one wide open for you.

I was severely impressed Herr Squid's Avatar
    I get bored and wander away...

By the time I make it back, the same old stuff seems cool again!

Hate when that happens :/ Usually I'll listen to something I don't normally listen to. If all else fails I'll go back and listen to one of the albums that made me want to play the instrument in the first place. So that's usually Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie album, or Alice In Chains self-titled album.
    SFL Onstage - My New Publication SFL Onstage 'Like' us on Facebook
    PRS McCarty Hollowbody, PRS Custom 24
    Mesa/Boogie Rectifier -> Rectifier Cabs -> Boss Tuner -> Modded Tremonti Wah -> DOD Gonkulator -> T-Rex Tremonti Phase Shifter -> Boss Digital Delay -> EHX POG -> eBow

I just let it all happen as it wants to. Some days all I do is play. Most days it's a combination of playing, listening, reading. Some days I'm more inclined to spend time outside if I'm able to with my health (back, heart). I have a guitar within arm's reach whenever I'm home, so I may get in a couple of hours here, a couple of minutes there. I just never try to force anything. I'm not in a band or play for church, etc., so I'm fortunate in that I only play when I get ready.

Lloyd
    'And the answer is... none. None more Gold.'

Buying doesn't work for me...playing through it does. The comment about the Guitar Grimoire is a good one. I used to do that all the time...these days I Prefer "Sheets of Sound" by Jack Zucker...the techniques and styles covered are vast. I have both books.

I also play in a two guitar band...the other guitarist and I bounce ideas off each other quite frequently...from gear, technique, theory, general guitar geekdom, etc...
    -Bob

The band's sound has evolved enough the past few years and I've tried to add little aspects in new songs, things I haven't tried before. It's given me new things to try to work on.

For just my playing in general, I usually jump on my Line 6 M13 and create a loop and start layering with a bunch of different effects/sounds...some not resembling guitar at all. It get the creative juices going and is a lot of fun.

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    If it's really bad then I won't touch the guitar for a few days. othwise i'll pick up the acoustic or tey alternate tunings. Anything to stop me playing the same old things again!
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

I don't play for a week or two, at least not for pleasure as I still have to play for work, but even then I tend to keep that to a minimum.

I find that after a week or so of no concentrated playing/practice, the techniques and pieces I'd been unhappy with or struggling with before the funk feel much fresher and I am able to approach them with a clearer head and generally get much better results all round.
    Laugh, Love, Live, Learn - Devin Townsend