Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Want In An Amplifier?

What Do You Want In An Amplifier?

Some players need multiple channels or modes and lots of controls. Others want simplicity. For some, it's all about great clean tones, and for others, it's all about high gain tones. Some need a great reverb, others hate reverb on an amp. Then there are those who need to replicate a ton of sounds and go digital.

I just go for a great-sounding amp, and am less concerned about channel-switching and modes because I use my guitar's volume controls for that. Though I go back to the days of only single-channel amps being available, I've had a bunch of channel switchers, and basically, if it sounds good, I can make it work regardless.

Sooo....What's your bag?

volume, gain and tone control. some reverb and a fuzzy gain channel

All I need is a Single Channel amp, No loop, No bells and Whistle's. Master Volume is ok with me cause I can always dime it and take it out of the circuit but also can use it practicing at home. No over excessive gain just good tone. 50 watts.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Some players need multiple channels or modes and lots of controls. Others want simplicity. For some, it's all about great clean tones, and for others, it's all about high gain tones. Some need a great reverb, others hate reverb on an amp. Then there are those who need to replicate a ton of sounds and go digital.

I just go for a great-sounding amp, and am less concerned about channel-switching and modes because I use my guitar's volume controls for that. Though I go back to the days of only single-channel amps being available, I've had a bunch of channel switchers, and basically, if it sounds good, I can make it work regardless.

Sooo....What's your bag?
    Definitely would prefer a single channel amp, using the guitar controls to control gain tone. For coverband stuff where we do everything from jangly country to moderate gain modern rock to 80s hair band stuff, guitar alone doesn't cut it (for me). If the amp is set so that it's gainy enough with the guitar on 10, there is too much of a volume drop if you back the guitar off enough so that it's jangly clean. The only single channel solution that works for me is a JTM45 (or something else that can be set like one...and PRS has a couple of good alternatives there) set to go from clean to "girthy", and a pedal to take you the rest of the way. Nothing wrong with that at all, but it's fun on those occasions where the setlist is skewed towards higher gain (not needing cleans) and plugging straight in and making it work. Also, nothing wrong with a 2 channel amp either. People say that you can't have two great channels in a single amp. Never tried the 2-channel H or C, but lots of good multi-channel amps out there.

I like a couple of channels because I hate fiddling knobs.
    Strong robust clean.
    My dirty just needs a bit of an edge to it.
    I do like an EQ.

Loud and Clean.

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Loud and Clean.
    '64 Twin, baby!

One Life

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post

Sooo....What's your bag?

Ummm...as many different types of amps and tone colors as I can justify!
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! © View Post
    '64 Twin, baby!

'64 Twin, baby!

My HBII would weep in that amps presence....
    - Dane

“He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

Bedroom player that no one wants to hear, so a great clean channel and pedal friendly. A natural reverb is nice.

'64 Twin, baby!

Schweet!!! AS good as it gets!

I use a single channel amp and a HD500 with 3 different overdrive/distortions AND a EQ in the fx loop to use as a solo boost. It's not my ideal setup and I'm still looking for "my" amp, and will definitely be my next big purchase once I work out what that amp is (well ok, unless a guitar comes long that I have to have).

Needs:

Great, warm clean channel. Think early Mesa Mk I or II.
    Versatile rhythm channel, from AC/DC "clean dirty" to fairly saturated, responsive to the guitars volume/tone. Tight bottom end, no flubber. No fizz!
    Both footswitchable
    FX loop

Wants:

3rd channel for solos
    Controllable solo boost, footswitchable
    Power scaling, preferably separate for each channel
    Small head format, with a OEM padded gig bag

I need a bit of versatility since our live set is very varied, and we have no time between songs so minimal chance to fiddle with controls.

Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    I use a single channel amp and a HD500 with 3 different overdrive/distortions AND a EQ in the fx loop to use as a solo boost. It's not my ideal setup and I'm still looking for "my" amp, and will definitely be my next big purchase once I work out what that amp is (well ok, unless a guitar comes long that I have to have).

Needs:

Great, warm clean channel. Think early Mesa Mk I or II.
    Versatile rhythm channel, from AC/DC "clean dirty" to fairly saturated, responsive to the guitars volume/tone. Tight bottom end, no flubber. No fizz!
    Both footswitchable
    FX loop

Wants:

3rd channel for solos
    Controllable solo boost, footswitchable
    Power scaling, preferably separate for each channel
    Small head format, with a OEM padded gig bag

I need a bit of versatility since our live set is very varied, and we have no time between songs so minimal chance to fiddle with controls.
    You might like the Mesa Mark V for all that. I really dug the one I had, very versatile, cool stuff.

'64 Twin, baby!
    Oooo, and a nice one at that!

Here is one of my favorites....this amp has a 1930's based western electric power amp as found in early Supro's...coupled with Bruce Zinky's MoFo preamp design....72 watts....think Marshall meets Fender meets Soldano...with some upper end chime that is just hard to describe.

This is the Proto...there are less than 20 of these in existence. It is a raw unbelievably touch sensitive creature...
    -Bob

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©'s Avatar
    Which PRS sounds best with it? I'm guessing a Starla or Hollowbody.
    One Life

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Lots of beautiful clean tone!
    Drive channel but no need for OTT distortion. Maybe another for solo's, but again, not excessive.
    Bass, Middle, Treble EQ Controls.
    Series Effects Loop
    Spring Reverb
    Power scaling
    Range of colours
    Available in a 15 watt head and combo (Combo should not be a small box) with powerscaling for studio and home use and 50 watts for stage.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Hmmm...probably this one....the combination of the DGT's and the bridge sound magical with the amp...

My Spruce top HB isn't that far behind!

(Why is black so hard to photograph!!!)
    -Bob

I would think a Starla would sound incredible through that amp...
    - Dane

“He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”