Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Do You Want In An Amplifier?

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    '64 Twin, baby!

BTW...I think I remember you almost parting with this amp in a GAS induced fit...I thought you were crazy!
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    You might like the Mesa Mark V for all that. I really dug the one I had, very versatile, cool stuff.
    Thanks for the recommendation Les, it's on the "must try" list. Unfortunately they're bloody expensive over here!

Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation Les, it's on the "must try" list. Unfortunately they're bloody expensive over here!
    And, I hope you have REALLY strong shoulders for that gig bag! Lightweight, they are not.

That said, man are they versatile! I've had a IV and V and really loved both. The weight was my issue. Loved the tone, though.

I need one channel with great cleans and decent headroom... I prefer to use pedals for the versatility when it comes to getting the gain... Nothing against cranked amps, but for live playing where I'm doing covers I really need an amp that will have plenty of headroom but also be very pedal friendly and not too harsh.

I'm currently using a 65amps Ventura (very Tweedesque) but have used a '68 Super Reverb AB763 and '65 Twin Reverb reissue for a long time. Which one I take depends on the venue.

I also have the holy grail, a late '55 Deluxe 5E3. If you are going to do the cranked amp thing and no pedals bizness, that's the amp to pick. I got it for home and jamming mainly and also because it was the model amp used on the recording that saved my life and got me into guitar (Hotel California by the Eagles on both solo parts).

I love some Marshalls too, but really think Fender circuit is the way to go for a clean amp + pedals thing. Just the uncolored pure tone of the cleans. I lean towards Blackface more than Tweed most for this reason but I do love the 65 Ventura which is a bit hairier at louder volumes than my BF amps.

Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    Sure meets most of your criteria, though...but I hear ya on the expense.

Banned
    This little toy has me spending more time with backing tracks and dubbing phrases, with my booteek amps collecting dust for the past couple of weeks. This phase shall pass, but it has been a lot of fun playing with this toy that I picked up at GC on Black Friday for $100.

Fender G-DEC 3.0 Thirty Electric Guitar Amplifier

Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    This little toy has me spending more time with backing tracks and dubbing phrases, with my booteek amps collecting dust for the past couple of weeks. This phase shall pass, but it has been a lot of fun playing with this toy that I picked up at GC on Black Friday for $100.

Fender G-DEC 3.0 Thirty Electric Guitar Amplifier
    Those things can be a lot of fun for different things!