Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: What Do You Want In An Amplifier?

  1. #1

    What Do You Want In An Amplifier?

    Some players need multiple channels or modes and lots of controls. Others want simplicity. For some, it's all about great clean tones, and for others, it's all about high gain tones. Some need a great reverb, others hate reverb on an amp. Then there are those who need to replicate a ton of sounds and go digital.

    I just go for a great-sounding amp, and am less concerned about channel-switching and modes because I use my guitar's volume controls for that. Though I go back to the days of only single-channel amps being available, I've had a bunch of channel switchers, and basically, if it sounds good, I can make it work regardless.

    Sooo....What's your bag?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2
    volume, gain and tone control. some reverb and a fuzzy gain channel

  3. #3
    Senior Member clcwarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    306
    All I need is a Single Channel amp, No loop, No bells and Whistle's. Master Volume is ok with me cause I can always dime it and take it out of the circuit but also can use it practicing at home. No over excessive gain just good tone. 50 watts.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    557
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Some players need multiple channels or modes and lots of controls. Others want simplicity. For some, it's all about great clean tones, and for others, it's all about high gain tones. Some need a great reverb, others hate reverb on an amp. Then there are those who need to replicate a ton of sounds and go digital.

    I just go for a great-sounding amp, and am less concerned about channel-switching and modes because I use my guitar's volume controls for that. Though I go back to the days of only single-channel amps being available, I've had a bunch of channel switchers, and basically, if it sounds good, I can make it work regardless.

    Sooo....What's your bag?
    Definitely would prefer a single channel amp, using the guitar controls to control gain tone. For coverband stuff where we do everything from jangly country to moderate gain modern rock to 80s hair band stuff, guitar alone doesn't cut it (for me). If the amp is set so that it's gainy enough with the guitar on 10, there is too much of a volume drop if you back the guitar off enough so that it's jangly clean. The only single channel solution that works for me is a JTM45 (or something else that can be set like one...and PRS has a couple of good alternatives there) set to go from clean to "girthy", and a pedal to take you the rest of the way. Nothing wrong with that at all, but it's fun on those occasions where the setlist is skewed towards higher gain (not needing cleans) and plugging straight in and making it work. Also, nothing wrong with a 2 channel amp either. People say that you can't have two great channels in a single amp. Never tried the 2-channel H or C, but lots of good multi-channel amps out there.

  5. #5
    Senior Member veinbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    GTA, or PA, or vacation
    Posts
    3,066
    I like a couple of channels because I hate fiddling knobs.
    Strong robust clean.
    My dirty just needs a bit of an edge to it.
    I do like an EQ.

  6. #6
    Senior Member sergiodeblanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Downers Grove Il.
    Posts
    7,804
    Loud and Clean.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Loud and Clean.
    '64 Twin, baby!

    One Life

  8. #8
    Senior Member sergiodeblanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Downers Grove Il.
    Posts
    7,804
    Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! © View Post
    '64 Twin, baby!


  9. #9
    Goatee Practitioner Danerada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    1,164
    Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! © View Post
    '64 Twin, baby!

    My HBII would weep in that amps presence....
    - Dane

    “He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

  10. #10
    Administrator james's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    373
    Bedroom player that no one wants to hear, so a great clean channel and pedal friendly. A natural reverb is nice.

  11. #11
    Member CE-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! © View Post
    '64 Twin, baby!

    Schweet!!! AS good as it gets!

  12. #12
    Plank Spanker justmund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Down under, down under
    Posts
    2,186
    I use a single channel amp and a HD500 with 3 different overdrive/distortions AND a EQ in the fx loop to use as a solo boost. It's not my ideal setup and I'm still looking for "my" amp, and will definitely be my next big purchase once I work out what that amp is (well ok, unless a guitar comes long that I have to have).

    Needs:

    Great, warm clean channel. Think early Mesa Mk I or II.
    Versatile rhythm channel, from AC/DC "clean dirty" to fairly saturated, responsive to the guitars volume/tone. Tight bottom end, no flubber. No fizz!
    Both footswitchable
    FX loop

    Wants:

    3rd channel for solos
    Controllable solo boost, footswitchable
    Power scaling, preferably separate for each channel
    Small head format, with a OEM padded gig bag

    I need a bit of versatility since our live set is very varied, and we have no time between songs so minimal chance to fiddle with controls.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    I use a single channel amp and a HD500 with 3 different overdrive/distortions AND a EQ in the fx loop to use as a solo boost. It's not my ideal setup and I'm still looking for "my" amp, and will definitely be my next big purchase once I work out what that amp is (well ok, unless a guitar comes long that I have to have).

    Needs:

    Great, warm clean channel. Think early Mesa Mk I or II.
    Versatile rhythm channel, from AC/DC "clean dirty" to fairly saturated, responsive to the guitars volume/tone. Tight bottom end, no flubber. No fizz!
    Both footswitchable
    FX loop

    Wants:

    3rd channel for solos
    Controllable solo boost, footswitchable
    Power scaling, preferably separate for each channel
    Small head format, with a OEM padded gig bag

    I need a bit of versatility since our live set is very varied, and we have no time between songs so minimal chance to fiddle with controls.
    You might like the Mesa Mark V for all that. I really dug the one I had, very versatile, cool stuff.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! © View Post
    '64 Twin, baby!
    Oooo, and a nice one at that!

  15. #15
    Which PRS sounds best with it? I'm guessing a Starla or Hollowbody.
    One Life

  16. #16
    Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Warrington, Nr Liverpool UK
    Posts
    2,510
    Lots of beautiful clean tone!
    Drive channel but no need for OTT distortion. Maybe another for solo's, but again, not excessive.
    Bass, Middle, Treble EQ Controls.
    Series Effects Loop
    Spring Reverb
    Power scaling
    Range of colours
    Available in a 15 watt head and combo (Combo should not be a small box) with powerscaling for studio and home use and 50 watts for stage.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1, POD HD 500X
    Wishing for a U.S. made Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

  17. #17
    Goatee Practitioner Danerada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    1,164
    Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! © View Post
    Which PRS sounds best with it? I'm guessing a Starla or Hollowbody.
    I would think a Starla would sound incredible through that amp...
    - Dane

    “He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

  18. #18
    Plank Spanker justmund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Down under, down under
    Posts
    2,186
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    You might like the Mesa Mark V for all that. I really dug the one I had, very versatile, cool stuff.
    Thanks for the recommendation Les, it's on the "must try" list. Unfortunately they're bloody expensive over here!

  19. #19
    Happy Egads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    2,579
    Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation Les, it's on the "must try" list. Unfortunately they're bloody expensive over here!
    And, I hope you have REALLY strong shoulders for that gig bag! Lightweight, they are not.

    That said, man are they versatile! I've had a IV and V and really loved both. The weight was my issue. Loved the tone, though.

  20. #20
    Classic Rocker prsrocker1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    650
    I need one channel with great cleans and decent headroom... I prefer to use pedals for the versatility when it comes to getting the gain... Nothing against cranked amps, but for live playing where I'm doing covers I really need an amp that will have plenty of headroom but also be very pedal friendly and not too harsh.

    I'm currently using a 65amps Ventura (very Tweedesque) but have used a '68 Super Reverb AB763 and '65 Twin Reverb reissue for a long time. Which one I take depends on the venue.

    I also have the holy grail, a late '55 Deluxe 5E3. If you are going to do the cranked amp thing and no pedals bizness, that's the amp to pick. I got it for home and jamming mainly and also because it was the model amp used on the recording that saved my life and got me into guitar (Hotel California by the Eagles on both solo parts).

    I love some Marshalls too, but really think Fender circuit is the way to go for a clean amp + pedals thing. Just the uncolored pure tone of the cleans. I lean towards Blackface more than Tweed most for this reason but I do love the 65 Ventura which is a bit hairier at louder volumes than my BF amps.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •