Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gig outfits

Hybrid View

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar

Gig outfits

Do you have a special gig outfit?
    Is it a part of your band's overall image?
    What do you mean to achieve by building that image? (note that casual wear may be a calculated image too)
    Do you have to trade some comfort for the effect?
    Does it work?

Please share...
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    It tells the audience that you are professional and that you care about the product. Especially, for the high paying gigs...corporate & events.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    It tells the audience that you are professional and that you care about the product. Especially, for the high paying gigs...corporate & events.
    The third question is not exactly a yes/no question

Please elaborate, I'm super curious about your style!
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Quote Originally Posted by Albrecht Smuten View Post
    The third question is not exactly a yes/no question

Please elaborate, I'm super curious about your style!
    My main gig (we also work with other people)....we do mostly event, corporate and festival work. We only play a few "key" more upscale bar and grille/restaurant locations that geographically provide a place for potential clients that may need to see us. For example, I just returned from two out-of-town shows this weekend....since it is December we do a lot of Corporate Holiday Events/Parties. Friday night was for the trauma, ER and administrative personnel from a large Hospital Group. However, since it was only two departments, there were only about 120 doctors, nurses and office personnel, but the location was beautiful and pay was very good.. The next night we played in front of 1000+ for a huge electronics manufacturer...the production at this event rivaled some huge rock n roll shows I have been part of....huge staging, sound and lighting.

So to answer your question regarding clothing, each member has their own individual color. Typically, we wear black slacks, button shirt w/ collar (in our individual color) and a black vest and tie (sometimes no ties). Many times we start the night with a black jacket too. No funky ass hats or other wacky stuff. It is a clean professional look and one that we think displays a professional image.

Regarding music...we do everything from hip-hop to Motown, to funk, to rock from all decades to country, to pop and a fairly large catalog of standard (Sinatra, Martin, Etc) We also will hire a female vocalist to work with us when needed.

I find that many bands we run into are very opinionated and stubborn when it comes to song list and appearance/image. If you want to work the higher paying gigs, you must understand it is all about pleasing the customer and not you. We follow essentially the material being spun by DJs this ensures success when it comes to keeping people dancing. If you do only what you like and show up looking like you just came from cutting the grass you will only capture certain gigs. Of course, if you are doing an original thing...then it might not matter.

Thanks.

yes
    sometimes, not necessarily
    curing some boredom and not looking like a shlep
    occasionally
    yes

Don't wear the same thing for every show. But I'm typically wearing something that I don't dress in everyday. As an example, last show, we all dressed in black shirts with white ties. I had a fedora on for awhile too. We got a lot of compliments on our attire.

Do you have a special gig outfit?
    Is it a part of your band's overall image?
    What do you mean to achieve by building that image? (note that casual wear may be a calculated image too)
    Do you have to trade some comfort for the effect?
    Does it work?

Please share...
    Yes. Generally a good pair of jeans, a fashionable button-down shirt w/ sleeves rolled up, a good pair of shoes. Important that the clothes be well-fitting; don't want to look sloppy.
    Yes
    Project an image that we didn't just get plucked off the street to play. "Trust us. We're professionals."
    Nope
    It makes me feel good and makes the singer I play for happy, so I guess so.

When I go to blues jams, I just wear whatever (Khakis and a polo, jeans and t-shirt, no shorts!). That actually is calculated, because it surprises people to see a skinny white geek with glasses play Da Blues.
    --Garrett--

Quote Originally Posted by vchizzle View Post
    yes
    sometimes, not necessarily
    curing some boredom and not looking like a shlep
    occasionally
    yes

Don't wear the same thing for every show. But I'm typically wearing something that I don't dress in everyday. As an example, last show, we all dressed in black shirts with white ties. I had a fedora on for awhile too. We got a lot of compliments on our attire.
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    Yes. Generally a good pair of jeans, a fashionable button-down shirt w/ sleeves rolled up, a good pair of shoes. Important that the clothes be well-fitting; don't want to look sloppy.
    Yes
    Project an image that we didn't just get plucked off the street to play. "Trust us. We're professionals."
    Nope

When I go to blues jams, I just wear whatever (Khakis and a polo, jeans and t-shirt, no shorts!). That actually is calculated, because it surprises people to see a skinny white geek with glasses play Da Blues.
    Thanks guys!!!

Like these guys?

The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Yes
    Nope

Hey, fellow ATLien here. What blues jams do you normally play in Atlanta? I have been looking to start hitting some up. Also, where does your band play around town?

Quote Originally Posted by SharkAtl View Post
    Hey, fellow ATLien here. What blues jams do you normally play in Atlanta? I have been looking to start hitting some up. Also, where does your band play around town?
    I used to go regularly to the Monday night jam at Northside Tavern in Atlanta. I think it's an essential ATL experience. Haven't been in quite some time though, because it's always a very late night which doesn't work so well with my work schedule.

The other happening place seems to be Darwin's Burgers and Blues on Thursday nights. I haven't been out there myself because it's out in Marietta and I'm in Decatur, but I hear it's good.

The band hasn't been very active since spring due to the exit of our drummer and trouble getting decent bookings. We do have a gig coming up January 2nd at the Five Spot, though. I play with singer/songwriter Nanyana Summer (http://www.nanyana.com) and she does a good bit of solo acoustic gigs in the 'burbs.
    --Garrett--

Same stuff most of us hang out in on the weekend - sequined bellhop jacket, polka-dot man thong, leather chaps, and a nice pair of pumps.

Nothing out of the ordinary. I believe it should be about the music, not the wardrobe.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 12-07-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    polka-dot man thong, leather chaps, and a nice pair of pumps.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    I do my best work in my boxers and while I wear more than that when playing out, I typically don't wear shoes or socks.

Something about touching the ground with my feet gives me a sense of presence.
    One Life

How about this look?

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    How about this look?

Dad? Is that you?

How about this look?

May I steel it? People keep telling me I don't look like a cock enough...

Seriously, I was hoping for you especially to share some pro stage style design
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

I am of the opinion that when you step on stage in front of an audience you cease to be just a musician, you become an entertainer. As an entertainer you have but one job, and that is to entertain your audience's senses. When you leave the comforts of your home to see a band/artist, you are seeking an experience that you cannot get by just listening to them alone at home on some headphones.

The excitement of a shared event with other people, the taste of a few overpriced beverages, the smell of somebody smoking a spliff, and yes, the visual aspect of seeing a band/artist are all a big part of the reason you got off your butt and spent some money on a product you most likely already own. If the visual aspect of music were not important enough to enough people, then the Pink Floyd Laser Show would not be able to be on tour alone!

I'm not saying everybody should wear a wedding dress or some kneepads, keep it genre specific: Are you in a country band? Don't be that guy that wears a cowboy hat with sneakers! Are you an indie rocker? Get your female keyboard player a haircut with crooked bangs! At least try to project some sort of image for your product. If I happen across some band playing covers in a suburban bar wearing Ed Hardy T-shirts and cargo shorts, I kinda know what they will be playing that night without hearing the first song, and as shallow as it sounds, I'm not going to stick around on the off chance they might surprise me.... but if I see some dudes in loincloths I might think they are a Man-o-war tribute and pony up seven bucks for the experience. Bands that have no stage presence and stand like statues on stage and dress like chumps show me that they don't care, and if you don't care enough about your band, or like your music enough to dance around, why should anybody else?

May I steel it? People keep telling me I don't look like a cock enough...

Seriously, I was hoping for you especially to share some pro stage style design
    Absolutely! Send me your address and I can mail it to you! I apologize that I am using the same old pics, but I am just using ones I found on the internet. I rarely keep photos of myself and don't know how to operate the scanner in my home, so these will have to do for you Albrecht.

Sk8boarder look. (and yes Wedge that is an original Bones Brigade patch on the vest, I wish I had a pic of the back with the huge "ripper" patch)

[IMG][/IMG]

This is a picture of a picture hanging at my fathers home (note the glare from the window with blinds)

[IMG][/IMG]

Ridiculous Hip-hop look. (hopefully PG-13 enough.) These are older, if you notice the "Bling" on my chains. (at one time keyless remote entry, PDA's, and white Arnet snowboard goggles were very exclusive! just ask Lauryn Hill)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Who knows marketing and image is of paramount importance more than the biggest ad agency in the world Weiden + Kennedy? Here is their chosen look for me in a project they involved me in. ( I will wear just about anything, but you gotta pay me to wear spandex.)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Kind of hard to see but, from the drummer to the left (myself on keys) half the band has a unified "together" look, not overly dressy but not T-shirts. While the singer (who was wearing a white jacket as part of the "big reveal" stripping down is always good for the audience) and bassist now look disjointed in an overall "grown up" band appearance. Big sold-out crowd, and a missed photo-op because somebody was lazy before they left the house.

[IMG][/IMG]

I believe that when approaching your wardrobe before a show you should think of my golden rule: "Class, Flash, or A*s" , and for God's sake, Put some frikkin shoes on!

Spandex for the win!

How about this look?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Well, his look has changed since playing a hot, outdoor show in a parking lot last August.

The updated look:

Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    I do my best work in my boxers and while I wear more than that when playing out, I typically don't wear shoes or socks.

Something about touching the ground with my feet gives me a sense of presence.
    Just like Blind Melon Chitlin.....
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    Just like Blind Melon Chitlin.....
    "I'm gonna sing 'er a song... "
    One Life