Page 13 of 138 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Private Stock Friday

If that is my guitar, that looks just about finished. Wouldn't they be shipping that in the next week or two?

Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    Well, here are the jpgs we forwarded Tina for the color and wood grain desired:

Wood grain:

Aw yeah!

I would say they nailed it.

Gotta let that nitro cure, my guess is you will see it in 4 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Woundtight View Post
    I would say they nailed it.

Gotta let that nitro cure, my guess is you will see it in 4 weeks
    I hope that's the guitar. If so, yeah, they nailed it. Can't wait. Maybe Shawn can take a peek at the neck heel next week and let me know if it matches my description, if there's a bird on the heel then it kind of has to be my guitar. At this point I guess given how it matches what I ordered, it's 95% my guitar, what puzzles me is they never sent wood/stain samples, and they told my dealer they would.

I don't care, if that's the piece, I'll be ecstatic. Maybe they just know this and they trust their own judgement. If it makes the customers happy in the end, it works, the rest is white noise.
    Last edited by patentcad; 02-09-2013 at 06:12 PM.

I must say the photos of the guitars in this thread are an amazing testament to PRS, they really have elevated the fine art of guitar making to a new level of wonder over the past 20+ years since they started the Private Stock program. Awe inspiring in every way. Yeah the process was a little baffling, particularly on the communication side, but I had faith the outcome would be like this. They build the finest guitars on the planet. Hell, their regular production guitars are absolutely stunning.
    Last edited by patentcad; 02-11-2013 at 06:46 AM.

Banned
    I must say the photos of the guitars in this thread are an amazing testament to PRS, they really have elevated the fine art of guitar making to a new level of wonder over the past 20+ years since they started the Private Stock program. Awe inspiring in every way. Yeah the process was a little baffling, particularly on the communication side, but I had faith the outcome would be like this. They build the finest guitars on the planet. Hell, their regular production guitars are absolutely stunning.
    Which is why you, me and many others have dedicated sufficient funds to building these PS guitars that someone else would allocate to buy a used car.

We do lose some perspective around here, in the private stock world of hi-end boutique guitars. Even the "entry level" private stock is financially way above what I ever thought I would pay for a guitar as recently as about 12 years ago. Even now, I can't justify spending the kind of cash these builds require, without selling a bunch of my existing guitars to offset the cost. I can rationalize the expense a lot better to myself by saying "It cost me these 3 guitars I wasn't playing much anyway" than for me to say to myself "I just spent $xx,xxx on a guitar, of all things, and I'm not even a professional player."

I tease Howie sometimes...and some other members on this forum....when I mention that all their great purchases are "tax deductions" each year.

I'd agree.

I just hope somebody (Shawn) can take a peek at that guitar's neck heel today and tell me if there is a bird inlay or not so I can know if that is indeed the guitar I ordered back in November : ).

When I started this project I agreed not to seek out specific guitars, I would only photograph random guitars whose paths I happened to cross.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    When I started this project I agreed not to seek out specific guitars, I would only photograph random guitars whose paths I happened to cross.
    A wise decision...that way, no one can accuse you of "playing favorites" and this way the most striking examples of the "Art of the Private Stock Team" get documented for us.

And this thread will become a very useful tool for others who are seeking ideas as far as how to spec out future private stocks.

And BTW....the PS team is NOT 20+ years old, per a prior post. I believe the first "official" Private Stock was dated circa 17 years ago, with most of the production ramping up in the later '90's. Of course, those who like to sell stuff on eBay will continue to pontificate on how the PS series was "merely" the outgrowth of the initial Artist &/or "Signature" Series. To that...I say "Bushwah" since a private stock is the closest we can get to standing shoulder to shoulder with the PS team as they create the concept we have envisioned to become our "perfect guitar".

Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    A wise decision...that way, no one can accuse you of "playing favorites" and this way the most striking examples of the "Art of the Private Stock Team" get documented for us.

And this thread will become a very useful tool for others who are seeking ideas as far as how to spec out future private stocks.

And BTW....the PS team is NOT 20+ years old, per a prior post. I believe the first "official" Private Stock was dated circa 17 years ago, with most of the production ramping up in the later '90's. Of course, those who like to sell stuff on eBay will continue to pontificate on how the PS series was "merely" the outgrowth of the initial Artist &/or "Signature" Series. To that...I say "Bushwah" since a private stock is the closest we can get to standing shoulder to shoulder with the PS team as they create the concept we have envisioned to become our "perfect guitar".
    Yeah, the PS program is not that old, that was a Pcad brain fart. I owned PS#176, c.2000 (sold it after about 2 years), and the program was maybe 2-3 years old at that point.

I suppose the odds of that piece pictured above not being my guitar are pretty slim. We'll find out soon enough.

Banned
    Yeah, the PS program is not that old, that was a Pcad brain fart. I owned PS#176, c.2000 (sold it after about 2 years), and the program was maybe 2-3 years old at that point.

I suppose the odds of that piece pictured above not being my guitar are pretty slim. We'll find out soon enough.
    Don't be so sure....they usually tell you "4-6 months" and deliver it in 3 if it's not an extremely complicated build.

Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    Don't be so sure....they usually tell you "4-6 months" and deliver it in 3 if it's not an extremely complicated build.
    Actually what I'm saying that is probably IS my guitar, I keep hearing that it's more like 3 months than the 4+ they quote you, which makes sense. 3 months for me would about February 20th (I ordered about Nov. 20), so timing is about right I suppose. It's just so close to the color and wood grain I requested that it's hard to imagine they made another of the same model (DGT) in the same color in the PS shop for some other customer, that's far less likely. I think that's my guitar, but like I said, we'll see what happens. My guess is I'll know by early March which is only 2-3 weeks off anyway.

Banned
    I just got confused with the implied double negative. (i.e. "I suppose the odds of that piece pictured above not being my guitar are pretty slim")

Yup....I think we were saying the same thing....and my brain wasn't functioning up to par for a change :-)

Wasn't the finish on #176 similar to the one you just spec'ed? I think I remember your HB PS...

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    Thursday Preview
    ooooooo.. I think I know where these will end up

;-))

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuitars View Post
    Wasn't the finish on #176 similar to the one you just spec'ed? I think I remember your HB PS...
    No, more monochromatic on PS 176. If you note the finish on that DGT is more dramatic, more contrasty.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuitars View Post
    Here's that guitar.

Here's that guitar.

Oh yes please!
    Plank Owner

Peter, I never understood why you sold that beauty...

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    Peter, I never understood why you sold that beauty...

Jamie
    I hear you JM. It was a looker, but I wasn't playing it enough to justify tying up the $8K, which I paid for it, and I also managed to get on resale, so I never lost any money on the guitar. I am confident I'll connect much more with this DGT for a number of reasons.

I never missed that guitar for some reason, but it was beautiful. It wound up in Italy of all places.