Page 35 of 177 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast

Thread: Private Stock Friday

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    Since I love you guys so much, I thought ahead.

Here's Rick A. sanding a beauty

That's some insane wood right there.
    I notice some maple cut out scraps hanging back there. Out of curiosity, for PS, do they take whatever dye mixture(if it's a custom color) and try it on the scraps from that particular top to see how it will take to that particular piece of maple?

I'm going to take 4337 because it looks interesting and I wanna see what it turns into

Man... that is going to be a stunner.
    I'm Koo Koo for Koa tops
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by vchizzle View Post
    That's some insane wood right there.
    I notice some maple cut out scraps hanging back there. Out of curiosity, for PS, do they take whatever dye mixture(if it's a custom color) and try it on the scraps from that particular top to see how it will take to that particular piece of maple?
    yes, there is a lot of R&D (for lack of a better term) involved with creating a new stain color.

Bucket full of tone

Shawn, this is the 1st time I've seen the backside of a 408 pickup. I can't tell you how great it is to see that you guys have eliminated the pickup's legs on the mounting base plate. This is something that makes so much sense, yet you almost never see it on a pickup. Good thinking!!!

I have never understood why humbuckers have such long legs. Tradition? Anyone ever ask Ted McCarty that? In my Custom 22, the long pickup legs combined with a shallow rout for the pickups leave very little space between the pickup touching the strings on the high side, or being lowered to the point of falling off the ends of the screws on the low side. We're talking maybe 1/8" total adjustment range. I prefer it all the way down, only a couple threads holding the pickup on there, and had to go so far as to remove the pickup and ring from the body, set the pickup to its lowest possible adjustment and then glue the screws to the pickup because the screws kept falling off by themselves. They're maybe 1/4 turn of the screw from falling off. I can't put longer screws on because they will touch the bottom of the rout and hold the ring above where it can be mounted. If the pickup legs were short or nonexistent like these 408s, I could lower the pickup further or have many more turns of the screw as insurance against it falling off.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

For traditional pickups with legs, drill small holes inside the pickup cavity to allow room for the longer screws. This will give you a little more travel when adjusting pickup height.

I love this thread and my head hurts from squinting at my screen looking for anything with the number 4341 on it.

Banned
    yes, there is a lot of R&D (for lack of a better term) involved with creating a new stain color.
    I think the better term is censured, having to deal with nuts like me who have a color in mind that reminds me of the tone others' speak about that they can hear in their heads. I can't do that, but I can envision colors that do not yet exist on the Private Stock palate.

You can thank me and the PS team for developing the first "Jade Glow". I recall the back and forth several times until we were able to finalize. Yes...they charge for developing new colors. Despite my claim that they owe me royalties for every "Jade Glow" sold after mine 2 years ago. Here is an example of the work in progress, along with the new one we are now developing.

Too light:

Getting closer:

Nah..too dark now:

By George....you're almost there!

Nope....let's blend the other samples to get the proper burst effect:

Aha....this will do. However...if this is scrap....I wouldn't mind playing in the discard box

We are currently creating a new one....working title is "Pomegranate glow" but I am going to lobby for "Sexy Ginger"

First attempt:

2nd try:

We are almost there...next sample will have the requested "black border, that is darker than current exterior, maybe 1/8" to 1/4" which will then extend from the exterior inward toward the center with the current shades being replicated as shown above. The example above is almost perfect, with the requested "much darker tip of the exterior" currently being worked on.

Yes...there is lots of "R&D" which is a polite way of otherwise saying that we are "putting up with the crazy man who has this color in his head" and is trying to get it replicated as a new stain.

I also wouldn't mind owning the bodies that they use as scrap for stain development. Would probably exceed the industry standards of other guitar manufacturers.
    Last edited by docbennett; 03-29-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    First attempt:

Wow, I actually like this first attempt! Looks like something I should get on Valentine's Day.

What a fantastic thread. Really enjoying this Shawn, thanks for keeping it going.
    Chasing Fragile Harmonics...

Wondering why they are closed today? The guy with the keys fell asleep and forgot to open the doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Faded View Post
    What a fantastic thread. Really enjoying this Shawn, thanks for keeping it going.
    Yeah, Thank you!!! I almost thought I was going to have to wait another week.

Thank you so much for this. Now I'm off to the bar to scheme ways to come up with enough to order a PS Pomegranate/Jade Glow burst SC HB with 408s and a piezo...

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    PS Pomegranate/Jade Glow burst
    Preppy Burst!!!

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    1st attempt? This is stunning!

Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Quote Originally Posted by PRSHB2 View Post
    Wondering why they are closed today? The guy with the keys fell asleep and forgot to open the doors.

PRSh, "I dream in quilt and wake up with wood."
    2013 LP R9 VOS
    2012 P22, IRW
    2013 SG Standard VOS
    Suhr PT 100 Amp, Forte 212 Cab
    Marshall Vintage Modern and SL5, Fishman Loudbox

Another Dave C stain creation
    Wow. That is just wow.

Do you know anything about the electronics on this one? Trem piezo? 408s with 3-way?

Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    Wow. That is just wow.

Do you know anything about the electronics on this one? Trem piezo? 408s with 3-way?
    That is correct!

OK 4420 has been claimed. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    #4343 & #4344
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, PS #4858 McCarty Singlecut, Floyd Custom 24