Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PRS Tuners

Hi Shawn,
    I just picked up one of those GC Throwbacks, which of course have the winged tuners (which are ok, but I prefer the performance and look of Phase 2 or Phase 3 tuners). This is the answer to one of my prayers! I'll be setting up an appointment in the spring to have these done, as well as swapping out the sweet switch for the McCarty electronics.
    Thanks!
    Danny

Great idea but I too like the winged collars.

Quote Originally Posted by Diverdan View Post
    Hi Shawn,
    I just picked up one of those GC Throwbacks, which of course have the winged tuners (which are ok, but I prefer the performance and look of Phase 2 or Phase 3 tuners). This is the answer to one of my prayers! I'll be setting up an appointment in the spring to have these done, as well as swapping out the sweet switch for the McCarty electronics.
    Thanks!
    Danny
    Sounds good Danny, I look forward to hearing from you

Hey Shawn, what are the little cotter pin/ compression washers for keeping the wings on the winged tuners called, and are they available for sale through PRS? I don't know if they are different sizes for the two versions, so this would be for the second non shared D&G type.

Thanks, you are the best!

Hi Serg,

They are E clips, but I don't know the size off the top of my head. I can find out tomorrow. We don't carry them any longer at PRS since we've been using the Phase II's and now Phase III's for over 10 years. Let me check on the size when I get to work on Monday.

Thank you Shawn, I'd really appreciate it.

Hi Sergio,

Here are the detailed specs:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Wow Shawn, thank you so much!!!

I'm late to the party, but my used '09 custom has those tuners on it. Anybody know if that was an upgrade or did it come with them?

(I'm a PRS sponge lol. I don't know anything about my guitar)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    Hi Sergio,

Here are the detailed specs:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Just when I think the customer service can't get any better...BAM! Another ratchet up.

Hmmm...
    Hey Shawn, do you guys modify the existing tuners or is it possible to keep my old tuners and buy a set of these? I'm kind of a stickler for having the original parts for my '96 whether the parts are in use or not.

Quote Originally Posted by vchizzle View Post
    Hmmm...
    Hey Shawn, do you guys modify the existing tuners or is it possible to keep my old tuners and buy a set of these? I'm kind of a stickler for having the original parts for my '96 whether the parts are in use or not.
    We would need to modify the existing tuners.

Maybe time to start searching for another set of winged/shared screw.

Quote Originally Posted by vchizzle View Post
    Maybe time to start searching for another set of winged/shared screw.
    I wonder if all you need is a set of Schaller M6 tuners? Might be easier and cheaper to find.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    I wonder if all you need is a set of Schaller M6 tuners? Might be easier and cheaper to find.
    I actually have a set of Sperzels on it now. Back when it was my only guitar, I couldn't change a string quick enough in poor lighting conditions so I made the change. I've been wanting to put it back in a more "stock" type look. That's why this thread grabbed my attention. Ideally, if I could buy a set without modding my original, that'd be the best route for me.

I put a set of replacement Schaller tuner buttons on my Customer 24's wing tuners (Phaze I's?) and now after a couple of years the A string will not come up to tune. It gets up to about unison with the botton E and then the tuner button spins uselessly. The shaft onto which the tuner button atatched has pushed through the tuner body at this point so that it's outof position by a couple of mm. So, should I just find a suitably sized washer to add to the one that's already in there between the button and the body of the tuner and hope that his stops the shaft pushing through?

The D & E are doing similar tricks but aren't quite knackered yet...

Otherwise, are there any ther sources of tuner buttons for my PRS Phase I locking tuners? The originals died, the G string button cracked in half one day.

I put the old plastic buttons on the offending tuners and they now work again.

The Schaller mini buttons are a few mm shorter than the full sized ones and that makes an the difference. They must have been just big enough when first fitted, but ave compressed ove rthe last couple of years. I didn't realise that the tuner buttons were load-bearing components of the phase I tuners, well now I do.

My Cu24 now has 3 large platic & 3 small ebony tuner buttons until the care package arrives from Stew Mac ;-)
    Last edited by omikl; 05-24-2013 at 02:11 AM.

Hey Shawn,

is it possible to order the old winged collar locking tuners? On my '89 Special the collar on the E6 tuner unfortunately broke (even though I haven't used it for months and it laid in the HSC so it must be some kind of fatigue) or can you suggest any proper replacement part? I live in Hungary, tried to get in touch with the local dealer in Budapest but got no answer from them yet.

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

The old tuners are unavailable, but you can get a Schaller M6 tuner as a replacement. The M6 is not a locking tuner, but will fit your guitar without modification.

If you'd like to send the tuners to the PTC, we can rebuild them using the Phase II locking mechanism.

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthre...326-PRS-Tuners

Shawn,

Just curious for the people concerned about keeping original parts, is this wing tuner mod a somewhat reversible thing to do? On the face of it, it seems like one could just put the old wingy tuners parts back in.... when ones guitar starts to get into '59 burst prices in 30 years...

For anyone on the fence,
    I've both types of wingys and the Phase IIs. I think I like my non-shared-screw wingy tuners better, until I change strings on my AP cu22 with Phase IIs, its so fast and easy I suddenly don't care about those cool looking wings anymore. Especially if you're on stage. I feel like tuning resolution is noticeably better too. The shared-screw wingys I've owned were so rough, comparatively, I'd be falling over myself to get this mod done to them, original or not...