Thread: Guitars and partners

Guitars and partners

I'm interested to know if there's any parallels between what you need in order to bond with a potential guitar, and what you need to bond with a potential partner.

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that a girl (I'm a hetero guy) needs to be way more than a pretty face and nice body, but it's still necessary in order for me to be attracted. Personality is about 90% for me, and looks 10%.

The same goes for guitars, a guitar could be 90% tone and playability, and 10% looks and I'd be happy (my SE EG is case and point). I still need the looks, but as long as it doesn't look like Bootsy Collins' sunglasses, I'm cool with it.

This could be seen as a form vs. function thing, but let's stick to the partner parallel.

One major difference I can think of is we all grow old and get ugly anyway, however guitars, well they'll always look the same (assuming they're taken care of, and there's not a massive shift in perception).

What say you?

I've tried to answer this....really I tried....but almost everything I came up with was nuke worthy....

Well except for,,.

I'm married to an amazing girl...perfect for me in every way...even with all of our differences...(politically, religiously, etc...)...I didn't settle...that's about all I got in relation to guitars...to be a keeper it's got to be the total package...and sometimes the total package ends up being different than what we thought was right for us....keep an open mind...an open heart...and an open ear...some might think they are Lester guys only to find out that in reality that a tele just does it for them...or in PRS terms....some might think they are a Ted Dc245 kind of guy only to find out that the SAS is where it's at....
    -Bob

I like them to look good slung across my shoulder

They both have to be able to do everything I want them to
    Rock an ROll - Funk and Soul
    With a little bit of Jazz on the side
    For me, all I'm missing is a 408

I was severely impressed Herr Squid's Avatar
    You probably won't touch it if you don't like the way it looks first.

This is like comparing apples to oranges...they both look good,but taste different.

Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    I still need the looks, but as long as it doesn't look like Bootsy Collins' sunglasses, I'm cool with it.
    What's wrong w/ Booty's shades?

That's just dang purdy!!!!

Disclaimer to anything I'm about to blurt out - I'm currently in a fight at the moment with the wife - who has stormed out this morning to an "appointment" and couldn't finish our "discussion" that she started.

Personality is overrated... She's gotta look good. And over time after she get's all dinged up - then trade her in for a shinny new one. Or keep her around as a backup if you think the trade in value isn't much. As far as tone and playability goes... we'll they all come in need of a setup, and for tone just dress her up a bit with some new accessories (pickups, etc...)... Wait are we talking wives or guitars...? Pretty much the same I guess (* disclaimer above).

This comparison makes no sense. My Custom 22 will not cut my nuts off if I get a Custom 24. The wife? Not so understanding...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    I'm interested to know if there's any parallels between what you need in order to bond with a potential guitar, and what you need to bond with a potential partner.
    Geez...this one couldn't get any easier. All I need is a fantastic top! Works for me!

I usually only look for whammy bars on guitars. usually.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    I usually only look for whammy bars on guitars. usually.

Whatever floats your boat!!!
    -Bob

Guitar: Stop tail.
    Wife: Stopped tail.

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Stoptail?

No...Split tail!
    One Life

Paid for.

Or paid for in blood.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Or paid for in blood.
    What's the difference?

Doesn't matter - I can't work either one!

My wife sometimes tells me I should trade her in on a younger model. I tell her it's easy to say that to me - it's not like there's a line at the door.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    My wife sometimes tells me I should trade her in on a younger model. I tell her it's easy to say that to me - it's not like there's a line at the door.
    Whenever I come up with one of my Big Ideas, my wife says, "You can do that with your next wife." And my response is, "Know anyone who'd volunteer?"

Because...too much effort finding a replacement, really.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Whenever I come up with one of my Big Ideas, my wife says, "You can do that with your next wife.".
    Les...how is it that you're in Michigan, I'm in NJ...yet we appear to be married to the same woman???