• basement rockstar

21 33.87%
  • couch noodler

15 24.19%
  • I don't play, I only look at them

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you play???

Weekend warrior here. We aim to gig once a month and rehearse approx. twice a month. We all have serious day jobs so it's very much a hobby.

We love it

I play in the Navy Reserve band down here. It's pretty good, we've got some great players and an awesome front man. We rehearse once a week (and get paid to do it) and gig once or twice a month. It's all covers, we mainly do classic rock/funk/disco/alt/whatever is popular, as well as jazz gigs (which I don't do) and ceremonial stuff (side drum). It's fun, it keeps my Navy connection going and my chops (or lack thereof) up. Plus my partner and I had an agreement, whatever I earnt from the band I got to spend on gear. That all changed when we learnt we were pregnant...
    Last edited by justmund; 12-12-2012 at 04:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Just a weekend warrior, here. The classic rock gig is taking all of my playing time but also am in a great vintage rock group (50's/60's...I'm the only one not on social security and retired). Haven't taught guitar lessons in many years and gave my saxes to my son. So while there is a bit of money involved, it is far from a 'pro' gig and certainly not paying the bills. Barely pays for a new amp.

Banned
    Basement rock star...with one live appearance at my son's wedding in 2010, and a future live date scheduled for 11/30/13 at my daughter's wedding. Since we are primarily responsible for this one, I hope to get in a few more tunes that at my last performance. Hell...we're making the wedding...I think I'll play the entire night so I won't have to worry about getting up and dancing.

Practicing my set list already!

I haven't won anything in my life, but if you guys want to have a "least gifted guitar player on the forum" contest, that would be cool.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    I haven't won anything in my life, but if you guys want to have a "least gifted guitar player on the forum" contest, that would be cool.
    I tried that back in the BaM days, and it went down like the proverbial Led Zeppelin.

However, the best thing about my concept was that Jon (FlyingVee) said that the contest could be a "Harrison Bergeron" type of contest, and the best players could be handicapped to level the playing field. Thought that was kinda cool...amateurs with PRS vs. Pros. playing with "Hello Kitty" strats.

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    I'd like to get back to playing out on weekends. I just lack the tolerance I used to. Bands are a lot of work.
    It's the opposite for me. Monday nights are band practice night, and it's our version of poker night. Lots of fun with guys who grew up together. We never gig more than twice per month, and we'll only take paid gigs at local clubs within a 20 mile radius that have enough of a built-in crowd that we're not under pressure to draw more than 15 or 20 of our own. We usually don't learn more than 2 new songs per month, but our song list is a FIFO (First In FIrst Out) so we don't have to keep current with a 200 song set list.... we hold it steady at around 70, so there isn't a bunch of pressure there. We're just a 4-piece, so managing everybody's schedule isn't that bad. The comraderie is what it's all about from my perspective. The only part that seems like "work" is loading back up at the end of a gig (sometimes as late as 2AM). There are usually pancakes involved afterwards though, and that fixes most anything...

That's not true - you've won our hearts, BroJay Simpson
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

I'll fight you for that title, James.

Just yesterday I produced a clean note....
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Quote Originally Posted by aristotle View Post
    It's the opposite for me. Monday nights are band practice night, and it's our version of poker night. Lots of fun with guys who grew up together. We never gig more than twice per month, and we'll only take paid gigs at local clubs within a 20 mile radius that have enough of a built-in crowd that we're not under pressure to draw more than 15 or 20 of our own. We usually don't learn more than 2 new songs per month, but our song list is a FIFO (First In FIrst Out) so we don't have to keep current with a 200 song set list.... we hold it steady at around 70, so there isn't a bunch of pressure there. We're just a 4-piece, so managing everybody's schedule isn't that bad. The comraderie is what it's all about from my perspective. The only part that seems like "work" is loading back up at the end of a gig (sometimes as late as 2AM). There are usually pancakes involved afterwards though, and that fixes most anything...
    I like this... Especially the pancakes!
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Duncan View Post
    I used to play in bands and play out. Ever since I became "The Man", bands don't like me. I also have too many kids to get out and play.
    Hah!!! My new band is made up of "The Man"...all of us. What's nice about this is that nobody needs to play for the money. The other guys are all very talented and the gear is a gear guys dream! At 34 I'm also the youngest guy in my band by at least 20 years....which is fine by me...because they all have had decades more experience and have dealt with ALL of the BS...this is their no BS band...which works out perfectly for me because I do this for enjoyment not Drama...if I'm not doing it for the fun, comraderie and the music than I'm just not doing it...and I've told them that...I have too many important things going on in my life...family, work, etc... It's very laid back. We all have similiar tastes. We play what we want obviously still keeping the audience in mind. We run the band as a democracy over beers...practice once a week together. I occasionally play with the other guitarist an additional night to work on things. The goal is a gig every month...unfortunately the very local music scene is not all that big around me...so even once a month can be hard. Two of the guys played together in another band for the last four years and they averaged about 1 gig a month. It's been working really well so far. My wife is also very supportive of me and considering we have 2 little boys I am extremely appreciative of her for that support...if it wasn't for her I wouldnt be able to do this...I try to make sure she gets to do the things that she wants to do as well...make sure I do lots of bath times and bedtimes and do as much as possible with the family when I am not in the office. If not...she would have a very different view of what I do. In addition I waited years to find the right band. Most other bands wouldn't be this laid back and flexible.
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 12-12-2012 at 09:38 AM.
    -Bob

DGT Club Vice President
    That's awesome! I love to hear stories like that. I need to get back into playing with actual people again!

mgd

DGTs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Duncan View Post
    That's awesome! I love to hear stories like that. I need to get back into playing with actual people again!

You should...but make sure you find the right fit for you! For me I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have worked out if It had been any other way.
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post
    That's not true - you've won our hearts, BroJay Simpson

I think I could give you a run for your money there. I might have to break down and take a lesson someday, but I'm not even sure I like music much anymore, which is strange because I still love guitars.

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post

No way! Teach me!

One of my bands, playing irish/scottish tunes with hard rock arrangements, managed to get kind of semi-pro (occasional event gigs along with well visited "normal gigs"... that means we make enough money to produce records).
    The other band is more of a dedication than hobby, I started it when I was 16 and it lives and changes with me (and other people joining and leaving the band over years). Right now it's in larval stage (again), working on brand new material. I'm sick of playing the stuff I wrote when I was 16

I guess it makes me a weekend warrior.
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

All my income comes from teaching guitar, so I guess that makes me a professional.......

I've got an acoustic duo that I'll be starting performing with round the local pubs in the new year. It will be good to get out doing regular performing again. Been a few years.
    Laugh, Love, Live, Learn - Devin Townsend

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Albrecht Smuten View Post
    No way! Teach me!
    Well... It turns out that the note I produced was an accident from my pick falling on my guitar while I was in no way touching the strings.

I'm considering doing an album called "Gravity Sucks" using only this technique...
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ