Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when does a few guitars become a collection

when does a few guitars become a collection

I've tried to stubbornly refuse to have a collection of anything. With guitars I try to have the discipline to only buy one if it will do something for me and get played. Now I think I might have accidentally collected red guitars.
    The first guitar I bought was red.
    The first PRS I bought was red.
    The first hollow body I bought was red, even though I thought I wanted Lucille.
    And when I thought it was time to upgrade my acoustic, it was red. Where do you even find a red acoustic?

Just the red guitars should probably be enough for most players, so maybe it wouldn't be a collection if it wasn't for the black, brown and blue ones. I have no idea where the line is, but I think I slipped over it and I'm afraid there is no going back.

Here is the story of the reds: http://mrpetesays.com/music/TheReds.html

RED TEAM! Although I have a mild fascination with Goldtops and white guitars, red ones seem to be the only ones that stick around.
    Great looking guitars, thanks for sharing.

If you're talking about things that are used for something else, any sort of tool, it's only a collection if it's hanging around not being used for its intended purpose. A guitar is a work of art but it's not meant to be hung on a wall and gazed at like a painting or sculpture. So, if you're buying guitars, hanging them on a wall and not playing them (or only playing a couple and gazing at the rest) then you have a collection. If you have a small set of four or five and you play them all and they all do different things for you, it's not a collection.

And I'm firmly on TEAM BLACK!!
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

You Sir.......................................... are completely out of control
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

When does a few guitars become an addiction ?

fixed for ya...
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    Markie I've seen pictures of you gigging a Dragon...IMHO you don't have a collection....You just have many very expensive tools that all have their own purpose and place! Completely justified.

At least I tell my wife something along those lines when she asks about my guitar cases all over the house.
    -Bob

I didn't have a collection until a few months after I was invited to join BaM by Rick "BluesRanger" Reed. That took my love for PRS guitars and turned it into an obsession. Before long, I was seeking out "the essentials" of a well-rounded PRS collection. I was flipping PRS guitars and using the profits to step-up to a harder-to-find, more expensive PRS models. It was just like pouring GAS on a fire. I think I hit a fever pitch this last October. I told myself that this rate of acquisition has to stop. Time will tell if I am able to curb the habit.

There are still a few models I'd like to have in the pile. I just sold my restored '89 Sig to cover part of the Violin McCarty I nabbed on my birthday so that will eventually get replaced with an 80's Sig in Vintage Yellow. If I ever find a clean, fairly priced, '86 in Fire Red with birds and a dark fretboard, I'll grab it. A double-neck dragon in Whale Blue is likely. A NAMM 20 or pre-factory model would be nice but affording one is not likely.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    Not completely. I haven't had to buy a new house to keep them in yet.
    But my wife has noted a red quilt is in order, but if declare it her guitar I think it is in control.

At times like these, it's useful to refer to the good ol' dictionary. And mine says a collection is:

"2 a group of things or people: a rambling collection of houses.
    • an assembly of items such as works of art, pieces of writing, or natural objects, esp. one systematically ordered: paintings from the permanent collection | a record collection.
    • (collections) an art museum's holdings organized by medium, such as sculpture, painting, or photography.
    • a book or recording containing various texts, poems, songs, etc.: a collection of essays.
    • a range of new clothes produced by a fashion house: a preview of their autumn collection."

So it seems that by definition, if you have a group of things, you have a collection. Especially if you're systemically ordering the group of things.

So what's a group? In this case:

"a number of...things that are located close together or are considered or classed together: these bodies fall into four distinct groups"

If we accept these definitions, then anyone who has a group of things that are classed together (such as guitars) has what may be loosely termed a collection, and more specifically, if it's a group of things that are put into some order for a systemic purpose, like someone who's acquiring certain models of guitars to have, say, the range of hollow bodies a maker produces, etc., it's more formally a collection.

I have a couple, three guitars. Loosely speaking, that's a collection of guitars. But they're not systemically organized or ordered for any reason, so strictly speaking it's not a *collection* collection (as in the old joke, "So doctor, what kind of doctor are you; a phd doctor, or a *doctor* doctor?").

Until now, I'd say I have no guitar collection. But evidently I have a collection, but it isn't a *collection* collection.

Quote Originally Posted by veinbuster View Post
    Not completely. I haven't had to buy a new house to keep them in yet.

umm yeah neither have....oh wait I did that......then again it goes a long way in appeasing the wife!....although the added expenses do help to slow their multiplication a bit.
    -Bob

Banned
    I collect lots of guitars...all colors...90% PRSi....I also play them all.
    I collect signed first editions...I also read them.....carefully, when I don't have a spare, unsigned copy.

I collect lots of crap. I mean, who else has all their vinyl albums from the '60's to the '80's arranged alphabetically? My wife, Ginger, and I, collect Ginger Jars of various themes and makers. We collect art work (oils, lithographs, seriographs, animation cels, etc, etc.) we collect art glass. We collect so much stuff that we can never move. The vey thought of packing up the house sends us both into tremors. The kids know that when we kick the bucket, they have a treasure trove of garbage that they will sift through. I made an excel spreadsheet of the best stuff we collect, to prevent "rare signed first editions" from being donated to the local library when we're gone.

Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    I mean, who else has all their vinyl albums from the '60's to the '80's arranged alphabetically?
    Hello.

I mean, who else has all their vinyl albums from the '60's to the '80's arranged alphabetically?
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Hello.
    How else would you arrange them?
    Mine are on the east wall of my library - a small wall mind you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by veinbuster View Post
    How else would you arrange them?
    Mine are on the east wall of my library - a small wall mind you.
    Viola....a collection! Just a reminder to all of you who denied ever collecting anything.

Viola....a collection! Just a reminder to all of you who denied ever collecting anything.
    Got anyone in mind?

"when does a few guitars become a collection"

When you have more guitars than dollars in the bank..
    From the People's Republic of Maryland (One beer away from the West Street Shop)

GO NATS!

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    When does a few guitars become an addiction ?

fixed for ya...
    It's not how many guitars you have that makes it an addiction, it's wanting that next one that does!!

In the case of the albums, I didn't collect them. I bought them to listen to attentively.
    They only became a collection when I kept them when I was done. I did transfer them all to digital format and still listen to them that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosewoodsteel View Post
    "when does a few guitars become a collection"

When you have more guitars than dollars in the bank..
    Awesome! I'm off the hook. I'm pretty sure I have at least 50 dollars in the bank.

There's another way?
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner