Thread: tell me about the 408

tell me about the 408

I'm in the market for my first PRS guitar. It's been mainly Gibsons and Fenders so far and now I've set my eyes on the 408 with the tremolo arm. I've never played one, as they're not available in stores in my area. The nearest store that stocks PRS guitars means a 300-mile return trip. I will go there eventually but would like to get as much info as possible beforehand. Obviously I know about the switching/splitting system and all that but would love to hear more personal feedback. Tone and feel of the guitar and, most importantly, the difference in neck sizes. Difference in "Pattern Thin Neck Carve" and "Pattern Neck Carve"? Is the latter the same as "Pattern Regular"?

I have a 2013 408 MT with the pattern thin neck.
    Not as thin as my 2012 SE Tremonti Custom which has a wide/thin neck.

I like the 408 very much, and it never goes out of tune hardly.
    Just a beautiful crafted instrument all the way around.

The 408 pickups are perfectly capable of high gain too for metal or heavy gain/distortion, and clean up nicely by rolling off the volume knob.

Third from the left

Pattern Regular is not the same as Pattern.

In terms of the 'old' neck carves, Pattern is derived from Wide/Fat (but not identical), Patter Regular from the 'Regular' or 'Standard' carve. Pattern Thin is the evolution of Wide/Thin.

If I had to compare them to other brands most traditional carves, I would say the Pattern Regular is more of a Fender vibe, the Pattern more of a Gibson vibe, but I realise that comparison is fraught with peril - it's just a generalisation based on what people expect from classic examples of those brands.

I like both. Pattern Thin is my least favourite, actually, but I can switch between P/R and P without too much difficulty at all.
    PS Starla (burnt orange smokeburst), Starla (vintage cherry, IRW neck, birds), HBII (faded gray black 'double' 10-top), HB12 (black gold), NF3 (antique white/birds), 25th ann. Mira 245 (frost blue metallic), KL1812, 2011 'Stripped' 58 (goldtop)

Thanks for clearing that up, Whitecat.

Corey, what a great collection. Can't wait to try out a 408.

408s are incredible sounding instruments, very expressive, let you do anything.

Be sure to use the volume and tone knobs in addition to the switches. All kinds of styles are possible. Best pickups ever, as far as I'm concerned.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

The 408s can cover just about anything - you'll probably be able to make it work for just about anything you throw at it. Clean, crunchy, downright dirty - it handles it all. Tone-wise, there's a lot of note definition - it'll throw what you play back at you.

Neck size is so hard to describe if you don't have a frame of reference. Even at that, it's more useful as a guideline because two necks with the same carve designation can differ enough to be noticeable.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

The 408 just might be their most versatile guitar...

LOVE my 408 it is a standard with a IRW pattern neck , just a dream to play and a tone for most any mood

PRS Family - SCT, 408, 305, CU22, MEII
    Others Knaggs Kenai, LesPaul , Stratocaster , Guild
    Amps - Mesa MK2B , Egnater Tweaker 15
    Effects - Tonal Insanity Guitar Effects ( I make them ) TC Electronics Nova

That's my dream guitar. If i can only ever afford one $2,000+ guitar, the 408 is the one i'll get.

Thanks for all the great feedback. I'll play one in a couple of days, so we'll see. They're available in a great colour range, I see. Any favourites apart from those on the posted pics?

Some (me) prefer the 3 way toggle of the Siggy Ltd to the slider on the 408.

Quote Originally Posted by Therinx View Post
    That's my dream guitar. If i can only ever afford one $2,000+ guitar, the 408 is the one i'll get.
    408 Standard Rosie is a dream!
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

I wondered about that. I'd prefer the toggle switch too. Is that an available option?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
    I wondered about that. I'd prefer the toggle switch too. Is that an available option?
    Yes...Costs more money...available at WILLCUTS.com or WILD WEST GUITARS.com...Look for Sig. Lim.

Senior Member Todd_FindingMyWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Therinx View Post
    I'm in the same boat....Its not a matter of 'if'....just WHEN
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobstrusive..

408 Birds in the Sky megaboogie's Avatar
    At first I was having a hard time adjusting to the 408's layout(I was used to CU22's 2 knobs+toggle), now I am very comfortable with it. They are all great, if you are coming from gibson/fender and this is your 1st PRS, make sure you play it first.

Are they dramatically different to Gibson/Fender? Tone-wise or playability? I'll try one out in a week or two.