Thread: 53/10's...what amp????

53/10's...what amp????

So I was playing my Bernie SE w/53/10's through Marshall JTM 45. It was akin to sonic nirvana. I couldn't get over the tone and sustain.

So those of you with 53/10 guitars, what are your favorite amps to play them through? I am thinking a PRS 25th Anni would be CHOICE!!!!
    - Dane

“He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

post a video Dane!

The pickups absolutely slay me through the HX/DA...so a 25th, yeah!

I play my P24 with 53/10's through a Jet City JCA2112RC 12AX7/EL 84 tubes based on the Soldano Atomic 16. Single channel goodness with just a touch from my TS 808.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    post a video Dane!
    Oh Shawn...I'm not sure anyone wants to see a vid of me playing....not very good...in fact quite pedestrian compared to folks on here.
    - Dane

“He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danerada View Post
    Oh Shawn...I'm not sure anyone wants to see a vid of me playing....not very good...in fact quite pedestrian compared to folks on here.
    Go for it Dane, i'd love to hear it!
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Quote Originally Posted by Danerada View Post
    Chicken....
    "He's kind of like a bear at a campsite...you think he's cute and kind of want to hug him, but in the end you know he's dangerous and is going to stomp on your tent and eat all your food..." - martysnarf

Currently play my HBII with 53/10's through a Fender Twin (red knob, evil). Lot's of eq options there to dial it in. Have my eyes on a Mesa Boogie Electra Dyne. Amazing 6L6 warmth and clarity, plus bold focused piano-like low end. I've also been testing a Tone King Imperial that makes my head spin, and suits the 53's very well. TONE KING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LJD View Post
    Currently play my HBII with 53/10's through a Fender Twin (red knob, evil). Lot's of eq options there to dial it in. Have my eyes on a Mesa Boogie Electra Dyne. Amazing 6L6 warmth and clarity, plus bold focused piano-like low end. I've also been testing a Tone King Imperial that makes my head spin, and suits the 53's very well. TONE KING!!!
    Outstanding!
    - Dane

Quote Originally Posted by iahawk36 View Post
    Chicken....
    Shut it....
    - Dane

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    Love mine through the "H" and Sweet 16! Actually haven't played through an amp they didn't gel with to date...
    -Jon

"I'm a sinner and I hope I never change"

53/10's in my book are a Match made in heaven when paired with a Marshall....I've been playing them through the PRS Recording Amp and a Marshall 2466 Vintage Modern into a Mesa Rec 2x12 with V30's...amazing results...to me I get everything from Malcolm and Angus to Allman's...with slight adjustments of volume and tone knobs on the guitar. The Marshall 2466 was a real pleasure to play today...love me a quartet of KT66's.

Im really dying to get my hands on an unmolested late 60's Park...the other guitarist in my band has one and its tonal nirvana.
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoonsRJT View Post
    53/10's in my book are a Match made in heaven when paired with a Marshall....I've been playing them through the PRS Recording Amp and a Marshall 2466 Vintage Modern into a Mesa Rec 2x12 with V30's...amazing results...to me I get everything from Malcolm and Angus to Allman's...with slight adjustments of volume and tone knobs on the guitar. The Marshall 2466 was a real pleasure to play today...love me a quartet of KT66's.

Im really dying to get my hands on an unmolested late 60's Park...the other guitarist in my band has one and its tonal nirvana.
    Definietly agree about the 2466. It's as good as it gets in the current Marshall stable, and there isn't a single PRS that I own that doesn't sound great through it. A really great amp.

Not sure that I'm sophisticated enough to match a particular amp with a particular set of pickups though. If I like an amp with PAF style pickups, I also like it with single coils. I don't do active pickups, so I can't say that it's universal, but if I like an amp, I like it with whatever pickup.