Thread: It's A Small, Small World - Picks, Part Deux

Hybrid View

It's A Small, Small World - Picks, Part Deux

This afternoon and evening, I was playing one of my guitars, and something sounded slightly...off. I couldn't seem to get the same subtlety out of the notes I'd been getting. I fiddled with everything on the guitar and amp, and still...a little strange.

Strings were only a few days old. Still nice and crisp sounding. So I looked at my pick. I'm well aware that pick wear makes a difference. Hmmm...It looked ok...

I'd switched from standard teardrop celluloid mediums to Tortex Jazz IIIs a couple of months back. I switched because I really liked how the sound changed and the picking was a little faster. With celluloids, it's easy to see and feel when they're worn.

But this Tortex one still looked good. Still, I got a fresh one out of the pick bag,

There it was!

My usual tone and picking attack were back. I wondered how much wear was on the old pick I'd been using. So I looked at them both under a magnifying glass (I don't own a microscope). I could see a tiny difference, wasn't much. Probably not enough to notice without magnification. I wasn't sure I could feel it with my fingertip, though I thought maybe I did. But it was evidently enough to make all the difference in the playing!

I suppose a dull knife would look similar to a sharp knife under a simple magnifying glass.

It made me realize how little, tiny things can really affect how we play, what we hear, and how no matter how small, everything affects everything!

I knew it was a small world. But it now feels smaller still.

Edit: Before dinner I happened to drop a toothpick on the counter. And it made a ringing sound. It reminded me of Paul Smith dropping guitar nut materials in his video, and how they had a sound depending on the material. So I got a few more toothpicks and dropped them on the counter to hear how they sounded. Then my wife came in and looked at me with a quizzical expression.

"I'm listening to the tone of these toothpicks," I explained.

"Oh I see. You're listening to toothpicks. Of course." she said, matter of factly. Like she'd seen men listening to toothpicks all her life. Didn't miss a beat.

She's used to me now. I blame Paul.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 12-17-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Gotta try the Tusq picks, they make an amazing ring...

Quote Originally Posted by Poffypoffa View Post
    Gotta try the Tusq picks, they make an amazing ring...
    Haha! I dunno, these round wooden picks sound darn good. Probably made from tonewood scraps from the PRS factory.

This is one of the reason that Tortex doesn't work for me. It wears very well, but you can't tell when the tip is deformed. A typical celluloid pick usually doesn't last more than a set for me, but I can tell instantly when I've worn it down to a knife edge. Time to throw it to the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    This is one of the reason that Tortex doesn't work for me. It wears very well, but you can't tell when the tip is deformed.
    I guess I just have to listen for it. I did get a lot of use from one pick, so there's that.

For whatever reason, I like the sound I get with it; it's different from the red and black nylon Jazz IIIs, and I like the way it feels against the strings.

Check out V-Picks!! http://v-picks.com/
    Authorized WD Music Products Dealer
    Authorized TonePros Dealer
    F/A Official Southpaw Compliance Certification Tester @ http://faamps.com/

I did not lose my mind, I traded it for this guitar!

Quote Originally Posted by CAFeathers View Post
    Check out V-Picks!! http://v-picks.com/
    I have. They're interesting but not really my thing.