Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 67

Thread: Gig Bag

  1. #21
    Bobble Head Moderator JMintzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Potomac, MD
    Posts
    1,258
    The Musician's Friend website lists a price range of MSRP ($1046-$1092), not the same as on PRS site, where it lists them @ $1092 w/cordura gig bag). They also list some guitars "w/bag", and others w/o that annotation.

    It's plain as day what you're getting and the price you're paying. Either buy it at that price (w/o the gig bag) or don't. PRS has accommodated their dealers (in this case Musician's Friend/Guitar Center) but selling some of the guitars to them w/o gig bags. That is what they want. The dealer then sells them with or w/o the bags.

    The customer decides to make the purchase or not.

    Why is this an issue?


    Jamie
    ---Jamie---

    My Gear

  2. #22
    Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Warrington, Nr Liverpool UK
    Posts
    2,162
    I'm not 100% sure of the method by which you purchased the guitar, whether it be direct from the shop or an internet purchase.

    If you bought it from the shop and paid knowing it didn't have a bag then you don't have much room to complain because you then knew the deal. You had a choice and you made it.

    If it was delivered and you only realised when you unboxed it then I can understand your frustration if you where assuming it would come with the bag. Your next step in that case is to return the guitar and take your custom to another shop.

    What GC are doing IS lousy but at the same time, you're not forced into the purchase. You have the opportunity to take your custom elsewhere. believe me, there'll be some smaller music shops out there who would love your custom and will bend over backwards to help you.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

  3. #23
    Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,382
    After my tirade about this, I read a couple replies to the OP and got to thinking a little more "zen" about it and you guys are 100% correct and the free market allows you to purchase from any dealer you wish and there are some out there that would love to have your dollars for sure if you don't agree with GC politics.

    They choose to do business the same way any of us would if we owned a business and that is precisely "however the hell they want".

    Don't like it, shop elsewhere. Wanna benefit from the deals a big box volume dealer can give you, get on it. Either way just get a PRS and be happy!!!

  4. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bridgewater, NJ
    Posts
    60
    Guitar Center never told me it would come with a gig bag. I did not realize until afterwards that they were selling the same guitar missing the gig bag at the same price as everyone else was selling it for with the gig bag. According to GC the MSRP on the guitar I purchased is $1092(Same as PRS website) with the same selling price as everyone else. Only difference, no gig bag. I have set up the guitar to my preferences including adjusting the nut slots and installing Schaller locking tuners. I am not in a position(nor would I want) to return it. I am happy with the instrument just not so much with PRS at the moment. I apologize for seeming so negative. I wont be making any further comments here regarding this. I have been, and will continue, taking this up with PRS management.
    PRS CE 22 Whale Blue / PRS DC3 Vintage Burst / PRS SE Custom 24 Whale Blue / Fender American Special Stratocaster / Fender Telecaster Thinline Deluxe / Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro / Epiphone ES-339 Pro / Ovation Legend 2077 AX / Fender Super Champ X2 / Fender Acoustasonic 100

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris B. View Post
    Guitar Center never told me it would come with a gig bag.
    Ding, ding, ding.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris B. View Post
    I did not realize until afterwards that they were selling the same guitar missing the gig bag at the same price as everyone else was selling it for with the gig bag.
    When it showed up without a gig bag, you should have returned it. But you didn't. That's nobody's fault but yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris B. View Post
    According to GC the MSRP on the guitar I purchased is $1092(Same as PRS website) with the same selling price as everyone else. Only difference, no gig bag.
    That's an issue with the dealer - and you are responsible for buying it without examining what you where paying for and failing to returning the guitar when it failed to meet your expectations.

    They have a liberal 30-day return policy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris B. View Post
    I have set up the guitar to my preferences including adjusting the nut slots and installing Schaller locking tuners. I am not in a position(nor would I want) to return it.
    That was your decision.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris B. View Post
    I am happy with the instrument just not so much with PRS at the moment.
    This is an issue with your decision to buy the guitar without the case - and with your dealer, not PRS.

    You're coming off as the kind of person who thinks he can complain until the corporate entity gives you what you want - whether you deserve it or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris B. View Post
    I apologize for seeming so negative. I wont be making any further comments here regarding this.
    I doubt it. Still, you're welcome to complain all you want. No one is going to censor you unless you break forum rules.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris B. View Post
    I have been, and will continue, taking this up with PRS management.
    You're wasting your time. You made this decision on your own. Take some responsibility for it.
    One Life

  6. #26
    chief Shawn@PRS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1985
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    3,429
    Hi Chris,

    Guitar Center requests that we ship their SE guitars minus the bag, so we do. On occasion a customer will place a special order for a SKU GC typically doesn't carry and that guitar will ship wit a bag, but for the most part, GC's month guitar order is shipped sans bag. The same goes for guitar cases. We ship each US built guitar in a hardshell case, but some dealers choose to sell the guitar and case separately while others sell the pair as a unit. Again, dealer preference and not dictated by PRS.

    PRS lists the MSRP for the instrument AND gig bag. If your dealer is using the same MSRP but is not supplying the bag, you should bring it up with them.

  7. #27
    Senior Member 11top's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    Hi Chris,

    Guitar Center requests that we ship their SE guitars minus the bag, so we do. On occasion a customer will place a special order for a SKU GC typically doesn't carry and that guitar will ship wit a bag, but for the most part, GC's month guitar order is shipped sans bag. The same goes for guitar cases. We ship each US built guitar in a hardshell case, but some dealers choose to sell the guitar and case separately while others sell the pair as a unit. Again, dealer preference and not dictated by PRS.

    PRS lists the MSRP for the instrument AND gig bag. If your dealer is using the same MSRP but is not supplying the bag, you should bring it up with them.
    +1
    Sh*tter's full

  8. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bridgewater, NJ
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    Hi Chris,

    Guitar Center requests that we ship their SE guitars minus the bag, so we do. On occasion a customer will place a special order for a SKU GC typically doesn't carry and that guitar will ship wit a bag, but for the most part, GC's month guitar order is shipped sans bag. The same goes for guitar cases. We ship each US built guitar in a hardshell case, but some dealers choose to sell the guitar and case separately while others sell the pair as a unit. Again, dealer preference and not dictated by PRS.

    PRS lists the MSRP for the instrument AND gig bag. If your dealer is using the same MSRP but is not supplying the bag, you should bring it up with them.
    Hi Shawn, Thanks for the sane response. Please understand I am more than happy with the guitar. I guess I would just suggest that PRS should monitor how their dealers present their product. At the very least, PRS should have GC advertise their version of the guitar at a reduced MSRP since they have chosen to delete the gig bag anything less is misleading to both their customers and PRS's.
    PRS CE 22 Whale Blue / PRS DC3 Vintage Burst / PRS SE Custom 24 Whale Blue / Fender American Special Stratocaster / Fender Telecaster Thinline Deluxe / Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro / Epiphone ES-339 Pro / Ovation Legend 2077 AX / Fender Super Champ X2 / Fender Acoustasonic 100

  9. #29
    DEEPER STRIATIONS markie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,362
    Bought a new Private Stock from my Dealer. Opened up the Box & there was a free Amp inside, along with the Guitar




















    Not really....................... but by golly there should have been.
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

  10. #30
    Chris, back in the early days of the old PRS forum (run by the TGP guys), we raised hell about GC charging for cases. For a while, and for many GC stores, that nonsense stopped.

    The problem is that GC is actually the PRS "customer." They're specifying how they want their inventory shipped. They're the ones using the "with case" list price contrary to the rules.

    I think they have close to 300 stores now. That'd be a heck of a big customer for PRS to walk away from, so at some point the tail wags the dog, and the golden rule applies, i.e., "them with the gold makes the rules."

    It's pretty clear that any frustration and anger you may have should be directed at the dealer, Guitar Center. PRS didn't rip you off. Be fair to PRS and don't blame them for this.

    The last PRS I bought from GC was back in 2000. I had to negotiate a case into the deal for a special order fergodsakes. I said never again.

    I like GC a lot for goods like studio gear, which they deal with in a straightforward manner. I like the guys at my local GC, and I'm told I'm a good customer. But I haven't bought a guitar from them since 2000. I suppose that's fine with my own PRS dealer!

    There are plenty of really nice gig bags out there, and you may find a used PRS one on ebay. Get one and learn from experience.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 05-18-2013 at 12:44 PM.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

  11. #31
    chief Shawn@PRS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1985
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    3,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris B. View Post
    Hi Shawn, Thanks for the sane response. Please understand I am more than happy with the guitar. I guess I would just suggest that PRS should monitor how their dealers present their product. At the very least, PRS should have GC advertise their version of the guitar at a reduced MSRP since they have chosen to delete the gig bag anything less is misleading to both their customers and PRS's.
    It's all good Chris, I understand your frustration.

    I hope you stick around and join in the forum community.

  12. #32
    Bobble Head Moderator JMintzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Potomac, MD
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris B. View Post
    At the very least, PRS should have GC advertise their version of the guitar at a reduced MSRP since they have chosen to delete the gig bag anything less is misleading to both their customers and PRS's.
    I checked Musician's Friend's website. They DO list the SE's with a range in price, about a $50 difference. See my earlier post.
    ---Jamie---

    My Gear

  13. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bridgewater, NJ
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    Pretty sure every PRS SE comes with a gig bag.
    Not at Guitar Center!
    To be clear... GC marks the gig bags as seperates items when they arrive at the store.
    Not true!
    As per Shaun they are shipped without the appropriate gig bag as requested by Guitar Center.

  14. #34
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...-guitar/h70029

    One of the SE CU24's they list says that it comes with a bag. The rest don't.
    One Life

  15. #35
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bridgewater, NJ
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    Pretty sure every PRS SE comes with a gig bag.

    To be clear... GC marks the gig bags as seperates items when they arrive at the store.
    Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    I checked Musician's Friend's website. They DO list the SE's with a range in price, about a $50 difference. See my earlier post.
    The Custom 24 in blue I purchased is the same $1092 on either site!

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris B. View Post
    The Custom 24 in blue I purchased is the same $1092 on either site!
    But you didn't pay $1092 for it.

    And... it doesn't say anything about a gig bag.

    You should have returned it when it showed up without the bag you expected instead of modifying it.

    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...-guitar/h70029
    One Life

  17. #37
    Senior Member Sage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    306
    Guitar Center bought Musicians Friend in 2000. They are the same entity and ship from the same warehouses.

    What I find interesting about this discussion is that there are three Guitar Centers near me. One has never carried PRS, one just stopped carrying PRS this year, and the third seems to have greatly reduced its stock of PRS, which is a shame because they were a top seller just a few years ago.

  18. #38
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bridgewater, NJ
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    Guitar Center bought Musicians Friend in 2000. They are the same entity and ship from the same warehouses.

    What I find interesting about this discussion is that there are three Guitar Centers near me. One has never carried PRS, one just stopped carrying PRS this year, and the third seems to have greatly reduced its stock of PRS, which is a shame because they were a top seller just a few years ago.
    Sage, I had a difficult time finding a Guitar Center that actually had a SE Custom 24 in stock. Out of 4 Guitar Centers a reasonable distance from me there was only one guitar in stock in any color. I had gone to play the one in stock and buy it if I liked the feel of the wide-thin neck. The one in stock was a mess. Many scratches and dings not to mention the bottom was cracked and chipped. It was also dusty and the strings were more than tired. This was the definition of a shop worn display! It appeared the guitar hadn't seen any attention in some time. It did allow me however to find out I did like the feel of the neck. Since I made it clear to the sales person I wouldn't be buying THAT guitar under any circumstances, after some research the sales person found there was a new one left in the distribution center. They ordered that one for me and I received it 5 days later. If I had been a more casual shopper based on its condition I would have placed the guitar right back on the hook before I gave it a chance and played it. My point is that PRS should work at ensuring their products are presented with the same care and pride that they clearly take in their design and manufacture. Anything less and PRS loses the business of the ultimate customer and in turn, the customer misses out on owning an excellent instrument.

  19. #39
    Senior Member sergiodeblanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Downers Grove Il.
    Posts
    5,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris B. View Post
    My point is that PRS should work at ensuring their products are presented with the same care and pride that they clearly take in their design and manufacture. Anything less and PRS loses the business of the ultimate customer and in turn, the customer misses out on owning an excellent instrument.
    What???

    I'm not trying to be a jerk but every problem you have had originates from GC, what should PRS do? have armed guards?

    I'm pretty sure "the ultimate customer" doesn't shop at GC.... wait do you Markie?

  20. #40
    I agree with Sergio. PRS is a company that has lots of customers. You're asking a supplier to police its customers' shops? Are you kidding?

    That would impose a very significant burden on a small company with only a few hundred employees, nearly all of whom are involved in manufacturing.

    It's very different from an automobile manufacturer's situation, where the dealer is a franchise operation, whose stores the manufacturer is entitled by contract to police.

    If you're disappointed with GC, you need to tell GC. This whole thing, including the condition of their inventory, is a GC problem, NOT a PRS problem.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •