Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Favorite visual artist

  1. #1
    Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    859

    Favorite visual artist

    Who's your favourite painter, sculptor or any other visual artist?

    Mine used to be H. R. Giger, but since then I've come across many others... now the best of best for me is Kris Kuksi. I kinda dig Gottfried Helnwein too.
    Btw my everyday experience from browsing DeviantArt is that there is HUGE number of great (mostly digital) young artists in the world, especially in game industry. Concept artists in particular. Even my personal favourites are too many to count. Go, visual arts!
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

  2. #2
    Plank Spanker justmund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Down under, down under
    Posts
    1,536
    Escher for obvious reasons, and I really dig Chris Jordan's work.

  3. #3
    Almost was a FG22 owner.. WEDGE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Too close to the casinos in CT.........
    Posts
    1,546
    I like the way Bev Doolittle blends reality with subtle background images.

    I also love Dali.

    Peter Lik's photographs are very visually stunning.
    ​Secretary of Crackwood Addiction

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,502
    For many years I admired and collected Dali....got lots of his work in my house as part of my art collection. I always admired his ability to do surrealistic pieces with a "photojournalistic" level of detail (kinda like Les' brother, whom I also admire!).

    As the years progresed, I moved from Dali to Ernst and shifted to Picasso's cubism period as a point of interest...once I was able to glean the "3-D concept" behind cubism, I was fascinated for a short period...this led to my current "favorite" which would have to be impressionism, as defined by Monet. I like the work of Georges Seurat, and have always been fascinated by pointilism. But, Monet's ability to demonstrate how light impacts on color is my current favorite. However, whenever I think that his flower gardens and haystacks have me mesmorized....I visit the Museum of Modern Art and look at his vast painting that has to be over 40' long....and cannot be grasped unless you stand at least 25' away from it....and I wonder how the heck he painted that at close range. And I still love art that is "photojournalistic" in detail, which means that I won't turn away from Norman Rockwell either.

    However, I'm still a sucker for a nice surrealistic piece by Dali and I still admire his "Elephants reflecting as swans" and his portrait "Lincoln in Dalivision" that becomes "Abraham Lincoln" only when viewed from a distance.

    I am leaving out dozens of folks I admire, and totally leaving out my collection of Chuck Jones & Friz Freleng animation cels (I grew up to the Warner Bros cartoons) and my Fazzino "3-D" collages. And how can I forget Andy Warhol....a very influential artist whose work I also admire.
    Last edited by docbennett; 12-20-2012 at 07:07 AM.

  5. #5
    My brother, Robert Schefman, is my favorite artist! Here's one of his paintings that's on the cover of Art Quarterly this month:


  6. #6
    Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    859
    Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    For many years I admired and collected Dali....got lots of his work in my house as part of my art collection. I always admired his ability to do surrealistic pieces with a "photojournalistic" level of detail (kinda like Les' brother, whom I also admire!).

    As the years progresed, I moved from Dali to Ernst and shifted to Picasso's cubism period as a point of interest...once I was able to glean the "3-D concept" behind cubism, I was fascinated for a short period...this led to my current "favorite" which would have to be impressionism, as defined by Monet. I like the work of Georges Seurat, and have always been fascinated by pointilism. But, Monet's ability to demonstrate how light impacts on color is my current favorite. However, whenever I think that his flower gardens and haystacks have me mesmorized....I visit the Museum of Modern Art and look at his vast painting that has to be over 40' long....and cannot be grasped unless you stand at least 25' away from it....and I wonder how the heck he painted that at close range. And I still love art that is "photojournalistic" in detail, which means that I won't turn away from Norman Rockwell either.

    However, I'm still a sucker for a nice surrealistic piece by Dali and I still admire his "Elephants reflecting as swans" and his portrait "Lincoln in Dalivision" that becomes "Abraham Lincoln" only when viewed from a distance.

    I am leaving out dozens of folks I admire, and totally leaving out my collection of Chuck Jones & Friz Freleng animation cels (I grew up to the Warner Bros cartoons) and my Fazzino "3-D" collages. And how can I forget Andy Warhol....a very influential artist whose work I also admire.
    I love how your taste evolved backwards from surrealism to impressionism You can work your way to DaVinci eventually

    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    My brother, Robert Schefman, is my favorite artist! Here's one of his paintings that's on the cover of Art Quarterly this month:

    I like it. How large is it?

    This is my coworker's work (he's hyperrealist too)

    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,502
    As I have already stated Les...your brother is how I would conceptualize Dali meeting Rockwell on steriods!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Albrecht Smuten View Post
    I like it. How large is it?
    That one's about 1.25 meters x 1 meter

    I like your co-worker's stuff a lot! He's terrific! My brother has done some very large paintings as well. In fact, a few years back, he did a painting for a concert venue that was about 5 x 4 meters in his studio, which is part of his house. To get it out of the studio, rather than disassemble the canvas and frame, as he'd originally planned, he decided that might damage the painting.

    So he sawed off the back of his house, took the painting out, and then reassembled his house! True!

  9. #9
    Senior Member 11top's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,501
    I dig impressionism, and I like landscapes. I could spend a month at the D'Orsay. I believe they have the largest collection of Monets in the world. I also follow Brown County (Indiana) art, which was one of the most respected impressionistic, plein air art colonies in America. Such artists as T.C. Steele, J. Adams, and the other "Hoosier Group" artists and their followers, including many current day, are amazing artists. One of the top 5 impressionists in American History, William Merritt Chase was born within a few miles of Brown County in Nineveh, Indiana. However, my favorite Indiana Artist, John E. Bundy, was the founder of the "Richmond Group."

    Here's a sample of Bundy's work. This is an exhibition size oil painting that was on display at the 1904 World's Fair:



    Whodathunkit from a bunch of red neck Hoosiers?
    Last edited by 11top; 12-20-2012 at 09:54 AM.
    Sh*tter's full

  10. #10
    My house is filled with original art. I have many favorites. I'm a fan of impressionism as well. I'm still haunted by a painting my Mom had in her gallery. I couldn't afford the price tag. That happens a lot. LOL

    Neo-classical is also a lot of fun for me. Maxfield Parrish is a stand-out.
    One Life

  11. #11
    Senior Member 11top's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,501
    Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    My house is filled with original art. I have many favorites. I'm a fan of impressionism as well. I'm still haunted by a painting my Mom had in her gallery. I couldn't afford the price tag. That happens a lot. LOL

    Neo-classical is also a lot of fun for me. Maxfield Parrish is a stand-out.
    I thought your favorite artist is Georgia O'Keefe.
    Sh*tter's full

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by 11top View Post
    I thought your favorite artist is Georgia O'Keefe.
    I'm sure I don't know what you mean, Steve.
    One Life

  13. #13
    Senior Member 11top's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,501
    Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    I'm sure I don't know what you mean, Steve.
    Sh*tter's full

  14. #14
    Is that Bundy painting yours, Steve? It's really interesting.

  15. #15
    Member Artist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    So he sawed off the back of his house, took the painting out, and then reassembled his house! True!
    '96 CE-24 with Bird Inlays - VY | '91 CE-24 (road warrior) - VS | '06 SC Artist - Blue Matteo Satin | '12 Tremonti SE Custom | MESA Roadster

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Artist View Post
    That's pretty much what I said!

  17. #17
    Almost was a FG22 owner.. WEDGE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Too close to the casinos in CT.........
    Posts
    1,546
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    My brother, Robert Schefman, is my favorite artist! Here's one of his paintings that's on the cover of Art Quarterly this month:


    incredible!
    ​Secretary of Crackwood Addiction

  18. #18
    I was severely impressed Herr Squid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    288
    I have a strong romantic/gothic streak in me. So while I was taking my art history course right in the middle of my computer science coursework, I was absolutely smitten by this. Caspar David Friedrich's "Klosterfriedhof im Schnee." Sadly destroyed by bombing in World War II:



    Accidental discovery: Study it closely while listening to the intro of "Echoes" from "Pink Floyd at Pompeii"

  19. #19
    Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    859
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    That one's about 1.25 meters x 1 meter

    I like your co-worker's stuff a lot! He's terrific! My brother has done some very large paintings as well. In fact, a few years back, he did a painting for a concert venue that was about 5 x 4 meters in his studio, which is part of his house. To get it out of the studio, rather than disassemble the canvas and frame, as he'd originally planned, he decided that might damage the painting.

    So he sawed off the back of his house, took the painting out, and then reassembled his house! True!
    That's sick
    My colleague moved his the normal way (took it off the frame and rolled the canvas), it was just a lot more work with more people involved.

    Quote Originally Posted by Herr Squid View Post
    I have a strong romantic/gothic streak in me. So while I was taking my art history course right in the middle of my computer science coursework, I was absolutely smitten by this. Caspar David Friedrich's "Klosterfriedhof im Schnee." Sadly destroyed by bombing in World War II:



    Accidental discovery: Study it closely while listening to the intro of "Echoes" from "Pink Floyd at Pompeii"
    I love it so much! Thanks for showing this.
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    pioneer valley
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    My brother, Robert Schefman, is my favorite artist! Here's one of his paintings that's on the cover of Art Quarterly this month:

    Looks like a saturday evening post cover by Norman Rockwell .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •