Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Joe Bonamassa the new Gary Moore?

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swede71 View Post
    For most in Europe Gary Moore was never a bluesman.He was a bluesinspired rocker.For me Joe is a rockinspired bluesman.Does that make sense? .Both excellent players.
    I'd agree with that. Blues was always Gary' first love.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

I dont think it's fair to compare any guitarist to Gary Moore. He was unique in his intensity, and to me was the most "musical" for want of a better word of any blues guitarist I ever heard. Maybe due to his rock background.
    It's all a personal thing because (and this will rile some people) When I listen to eric clapton play, I feel nothing. I'm impressed with his technical ability, but his playing doesn't affect me emotionally like gary moore did. And yet we all no he's one of the greats. So each to his own and sorry to all the clapton fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post
    I thoroughly recommend checking out the collaboration he did with Beth Hart called 'Don't Explain'. Sheer brilliance from start to finish!

Love this tune in particular:

Some choice Gary:

There's as many differences as there are similarities, but the worlds a worser place without Gary in it. Joe's not a replacement but a fine, fine addition.

Anybody know what happened to Gary's face ? Look's like he ate somebodys windshield on the way through it!!!

very tasteful, geez, I'd forgotten all about Beth Hart, they sound incredible.
    This is one of my personal faves from GM, Peter green tribute concert

Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    I miss Smokin' Joe's younger days when he was rocking the Strats and the Esquire. I still especially love his playing in Bloodline. Seems like he started losing me when he switched to playing Les Pauls. Anyone else?
    I like JB a lot but this was when I "found" him (below). I love his LP sound but still wish that he swapped guitars a bit more. Few can get a Strat sound like that..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainwave View Post
    I like JB a lot but this was when I "found" him (below). I love his LP sound but still wish that he swapped guitars a bit more. Few can get a Strat sound like that..
    Agree 100%. This is the song that I "discovered" JB with, and the tone I will always associate him with!

That's one of the best versions of that song i've heard Joe do. Have to be honest and say i was never a fan of the album version.

He's got the Strats out again for his latest album which i'm glad to see / hear.

Just got hold of Gary Moore 'Essential Montreux' today. 6 hours of classic Gary over 5 discs... Can't wait to dig into this!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post
    He's got the Strats out again for his latest album which i'm glad to see / hear
    Which one is that? He makes one a month... . As a side note, a couple of years that particular guitar (yes the one hes playing in the video) was up att eBay and I was SO tempted to buy it but couldn't get the dough in time. It's a standard Clapton Strat but it came with a letter from JB stating that it was indeed that guitar, the DVD from the concert and more.

Which one is that? He makes one a month... . As a side note, a couple of years that particular guitar (yes the one hes playing in the video) was up att eBay and I was SO tempted to buy it but couldn't get the dough in time. It's a standard Clapton Strat but it came with a letter from JB stating that it was indeed that guitar, the DVD from the concert and more.
    Lol, he's prolific for sure! It's called 'Driving Towards The Daylight'. Some Strats on there, Tele's and his assortment of '59 LP's. The booklet that came with it is severely GAS inducing!

Quote Originally Posted by WEDGE View Post
    NO Joe is no Gary Moore! Joe B is a monster player but does nothing for me. I know I will get flamed for this but I can't make it through one of his albums or DVDs, awesome player, lousy songwriter and singer to my ears.

Gary Moore to me was a bluesy rock player and not a bluesman, but that totally works for me. Also I liked his songwriting and voice, and his tone killed.
    I agree with Wedge also......
    PRS Guitars Endorsee (2008 Mira / 2010 Custom 24 / 2012 Limited Edition Top 10 P24 / 2013 Custom 24 / 2014 PRS SE Angelus Custom) and Signature Club Member... http://www.reverbnation.com/jdbradshaw http://www.prsguitars.com/artists/profile/jd_bradshaw/ https://www.youtube.com/user/ACACIAENTERTAINMENT/videos

I think Gary Moore had a ton of soul and sincerity in his bluesier stuff. Joe B. is an incredible player who is still expanding his range, and I'd bet that that a greater amount of sincerity in his playing will emerge over time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AaeCee View Post
    I think Gary Moore had a ton of soul and sincerity in his bluesier stuff. Joe B. is an incredible player who is still expanding his range, and I'd bet that that a greater amount of sincerity in his playing will emerge over time.
    I get totally lost with comments like this ^^^.

If possible, what does "sincerity in playing" mean?????? I either like what I hear or I don't...but I've never been able to associate one's playing with concepts such as "sincerity". Maybe I am missing something essential. And, to further my ignorance...when you've been a professional player as long as Joe has been....at what point do you develop the aforementioned "sincerity"????