Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: NRED:New Recording Equipment Day

  1. #1
    Senior Member clcwarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    289

    NRED:New Recording Equipment Day

    Given my new years resolution of recording originals I think I got together most of the equipment I need. I bought 2-SM57 mics for micing the guitar amp, Mic stand, Addictive Drums + Metal Pack+Diabolic and a set of original Mackie MR5 monitors from ebay. I am using Reaper for the DAW software and I have a Line 6 UX2 for the preamp mic/guitar input, I can use modelor or mic my Amp. Only thing I think I need now is a sm58 for vocals. How does this setup sound so far and what else is critical?

  2. #2
    Senior Member sergiodeblanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Downers Grove Il.
    Posts
    5,159
    I think you can accomplish quite a bit with your selections, a mid-priced large diaphragm condenser microphone would be another thought before getting into nicer mic pres.

  3. #3
    Pincher of Harmonics Blackbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    389
    That's a great starting setup! You really only need one mic for your guitar tracks. In fact, I think the ux2 only has one mic input, so if you wanted to multi-mic your amp, you'll need to get a mixer. But single mic'ing will yield great results, and you don't have to worry about phasing issues. If you absolutely want two tracks out of one take, you could record a mic'd amp AND a modeled amp tone with the same take. Otherwise, just copy and paste that one mic'd take, then layer and pan them for a thicker sound.

    Also, you can actually use an sm57 for vocals. It may not be the top choice by all the pros, but it's more common than you think.
    12 408 - 12 DGT - 09 Tremonti II - 98 CU24 - 97 CE22 - Mesa MarkIV - Kemper Profiler Amp - EVH 5150 III - PRS Archon

  4. #4
    Senior Member clcwarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    That's a great starting setup! You really only need one mic for your guitar tracks. In fact, I think the ux2 only has one mic input, so if you wanted to multi-mic your amp, you'll need to get a mixer. But single mic'ing will yield great results, and you don't have to worry about phasing issues. If you absolutely want two tracks out of one take, you could record a mic'd amp AND a modeled amp tone with the same take. Otherwise, just copy and paste that one mic'd take, then layer and pan them for a thicker sound.

    Also, you can actually use an sm57 for vocals. It may not be the top choice by all the pros, but it's more common than you think.
    My Line 6 actually does have 2 Low inpedance inputs for mic's that say left and right on them for simultaneous recording. I bought 2 mics because I thought I would get better results running 1 mic straight on and 1 mic off Axis, at least this is what Peter D. from the PRS experience said to do to get a close representation off how your amplifier actually sounds. Do I still need to worry about phasing issues?

  5. #5
    Senior Member vchizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,182
    Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    I think you can accomplish quite a bit with your selections, a mid-priced large diaphragm condenser microphone would be another thought before getting into nicer mic pres.
    Agreed. Sounds like you're ready to get started! Even a lower priced large dia. condenser will bring a lot more vocal presence to the mix. Also can be good on acoustics, guitar amps, etc.

  6. #6
    Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Warrington, Nr Liverpool UK
    Posts
    2,160
    Sounds like a perfectly decent setup.

    What are the specs for your computer?
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

  7. #7
    Senior Member clcwarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    289

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post
    Sounds like a perfectly decent setup.

    What are the specs for your computer?
    Its a dual core dell desktop with 4gb of ram, Windows Vista (All of th updates) and 2.5tb of disk space (1.5tb is an external drive for Backupexec System Recovery) and like I said before I am using the Line 6 UX2 via USB.

  8. #8
    Senior Member sergiodeblanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Downers Grove Il.
    Posts
    5,159
    Quote Originally Posted by clcwarlock View Post
    Do I still need to worry about phasing issues?
    Always, but if you are keeping them in a tight coincident pattern you should not have to worry much.http://www.deltamedia.com/resource/s...echniques.html

    I imagine Reaper has a phase inverter though.

  9. #9
    Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Warrington, Nr Liverpool UK
    Posts
    2,160
    Quote Originally Posted by clcwarlock View Post
    Its a dual core dell desktop with 4gb of ram, Windows Vista (All of th updates) and 2.5tb of disk space (1.5tb is an external drive for Backupexec System Recovery) and like I said before I am using the Line 6 UX2 via USB.
    Should be fine.

    The only time you may run into issues would be when you have a number of tracks on the go and / or VST's / Effects.

    Is there room in your PC case for a second HDD?
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

  10. #10
    Senior Member clcwarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    289
    Yes, I could put 2nd hard drive in if needed.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •