Thread: Maple or rosewood fretboard?

Maple or rosewood fretboard?

I'm getting ready to order a new NF3 but can't decide which to get... rosewood fretboard or leave it maple. Just how much difference will it make? Everything I own has rosewood... so the logical answer is rosewood. But, should I try the maple for a different sound? Any ideas? Suggestions? This will be matched with an HX/DA with a 2x12 Stealth cab.

Thanks guys!
    ~ Matt

PRS HX/DA | 2x12 Stealth Cab | 2011 Stripped 58 - Angry Larry | 2000 Custom 22 - Dark Cherry Burst
    1985 Takamine GX-100 | 1993 Jackson Soloist XL Pro |Martin Acoustic | Ibanez Acoustic

I would think the idea of an NF3 would be to get a twangy sound......................... that would make maple my choice!
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    I would think the idea of an NF3 would be to get a twangy sound......................... that would make maple my choice!
    +1

Yup.

Haha... bunch of conformists

I see how ya are... Guess we'll try the maple and see...

Besides... who doesn't love that SRV tone every once in a while? Thanks guys
    ~ Matt

PRS HX/DA | 2x12 Stealth Cab | 2011 Stripped 58 - Angry Larry | 2000 Custom 22 - Dark Cherry Burst
    1985 Takamine GX-100 | 1993 Jackson Soloist XL Pro |Martin Acoustic | Ibanez Acoustic

Wait... he had all rosewood. Crap.
    ~ Matt

Although all the trees are kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw, i choose to spend your money on maple.

I'm in the maple camp here - works really well with NF.

Don - Studio Musician cobrafast1's Avatar
    I've had and do have both Maple and Rosewood. I have two guitars with Rosewood now and one with Maple. I like them both, but the Maple seems to be faster neck in my opinion and has better sustain. Just my opinion.
    PRS SE Semi-Hollow Body - Parker Fly Deluxe - American Fender Stratocaster
    Carvin Quad-X Amp - Carvin Tube 100 - (2) Roctron Intellifex - Gibson EchoPlex
    Mesa Express Pluss 5:25 - Marshall MG100HFX - Egnater Rebel 20 - DODFX54 Attacker - VFE Distortion 3
    Digitech Jam Man Solo.

As others have said - Maple - for that style guitar

PRS Flame Maple looks WONDERFUL

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    For that guitar and those pickups, maple is the only choice... Narrowfield pickups are very cool but they need Maple, Ash, Korina etc to show off their true potential...