Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: 305 S.A.S. owners - thoughts?.

  1. #1
    Senior Member slang05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Springfield MO
    Posts
    399

    305 S.A.S. owners - thoughts?.

    Looking to buy a new (ok used) PRS next week. Been thinking about a 305 or a Swamp Ash Special. Would love to hear from some owners of these guitars to get there thoughts. I am unable to play whatever I buy because the stores in town don't have them available, plus I am looking to buy used anyway. I do have a 513 and from what I have read the 305 has the same neck but unfinished, like the the SAS. I really am looking for something a bit different. Have thought about Cu22's and a Singlecut because I have had them before and loved them, but thought I would step outside what I've had in the past with something different. I do play country and rock, think Aldean, but I'm not too concerned about tone. I know that sounds crazy but I don't think I've ever heard a PRS that I didn't like the way it sounded. With that said, I would still love to hear how you think your 305 or SAS sound.
    I have thought about the Swamp Ash with Narrowfields, but I think that would be out of my range. I have about $1400, maybe $1500 to spend.
    "Just one more and then I promise, no more guitars honey!" - The phrase I say most to my wife

  2. #2
    Junior Member Seneca SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dundee,NY
    Posts
    74
    i love my 25th SAS , awesome sound with a ton of variation!!! The Narrowfields are great pups

    2008 Fender Custom Strat
    2011 PRS SAS- NF
    2012 PRS artist Package Studio

  3. #3
    Senior Member slang05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Springfield MO
    Posts
    399
    Thats super nice. Found one like that at a GC in Mississippi that I think I'll make a run at. Problem is it maybe like $100 out of my range after shipping and taxes.
    "Just one more and then I promise, no more guitars honey!" - The phrase I say most to my wife

  4. #4
    The necks aren't unfinished, they only feel that way. There is a finish that soaks into the wood.

  5. #5
    Senior Member slang05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Springfield MO
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    The necks aren't unfinished, they only feel that way. There is a finish that soaks into the wood.
    I kinda assumed that..wasn't sure though. Like on the DC3 and the NF3?
    "Just one more and then I promise, no more guitars honey!" - The phrase I say most to my wife

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Baltimore MD area
    Posts
    66
    I have both a 513 and a 305. While I like them both very much, the reality is that there's nothing that the 305 can do that the 513 cannot (when in single-coil mode.) Of course, the 513 has the humbucking modes, as well, so it's quite a bit more versatile.

    I don't have a SAS, but I do also have a Modern Eagle III, which also has the three narrowfields like the current SAS. They are remarkable pickups! They can go anywhere from Fender-style glassiness when clean to P-90 raunch (when on about 6-7 on the volume control) to full-on humbucker crunch. It's hard for me to think of a sound that you couldn't cover with the combination of a 513 and SAS/NF.

  7. #7
    Senior Member slang05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Springfield MO
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by daa2202 View Post
    I have both a 513 and a 305. While I like them both very much, the reality is that there's nothing that the 305 can do that the 513 cannot (when in single-coil mode.) Of course, the 513 has the humbucking modes, as well, so it's quite a bit more versatile.

    I don't have a SAS, but I do also have a Modern Eagle III, which also has the three narrowfields like the current SAS. They are remarkable pickups! They can go anywhere from Fender-style glassiness when clean to P-90 raunch (when on about 6-7 on the volume control) to full-on humbucker crunch. It's hard for me to think of a sound that you couldn't cover with the combination of a 513 and SAS/NF.
    Are you saying it would be redundant to have a 513 and a 305? Does the 305 sound exactly like the 513 in single coil mode? I would love a SAS but I think they are a tad out of what I can spend. Most are $1500-1800 used and I think I'm capped at $1500
    "Just one more and then I promise, no more guitars honey!" - The phrase I say most to my wife

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Baltimore MD area
    Posts
    66
    Yes, personally I think that a 513 makes a 305 redundant...so much so that I am likely to sell my 305 now that I have acquired a 513. OK, they may not sound exactly the same (my 2009 305 has a alder body, maple neck, and a rosewood board, while my 2012 513 has a mahogany body and neck and a rosewood board, so there's a slight difference there), but in any real-world setting they're pretty darn identical (with the 513 in single-coil mode.)

  9. #9
    Senior Member Daniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    636
    Jason Aldean's guitarist seems to play a Studio, at least on recent TV appearances. The 305 is a great guitar.



  10. #10
    Senior Member slang05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Springfield MO
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by daa2202 View Post
    Yes, personally I think that a 513 makes a 305 redundant...so much so that I am likely to sell my 305 now that I have acquired a 513. OK, they may not sound exactly the same (my 2009 305 has a alder body, maple neck, and a rosewood board, while my 2012 513 has a mahogany body and neck and a rosewood board, so there's a slight difference there), but in any real-world setting they're pretty darn identical (with the 513 in single-coil mode.)
    Dang! I knew you were going to say that!!
    "Just one more and then I promise, no more guitars honey!" - The phrase I say most to my wife

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Odenton, Md
    Posts
    256
    The current 305 and the 513 are closer than my 305 prototype is.

    Outside of my predilection for 513's, I have a bunch of SAS, old and new including a 513 Swamp Ash, a SASNF, and a Swamp Ash Studio. I think I'd go with a Swamp Ash Studio if I had to have just one.

    Swamp Ash tends to give the guitar scooped mids with sharp biting highs and tight lows. I tend to like them better with warm clear pick ups like 5708's and Narrowfields, but it does pretty good with warm muddy pick ups like 513's and McCarty's. However, I found the Narrowfields to be a little thin for a treble pick up which is why I favor the Swamp Ash Studio over the SASNF.

    I think you get a used Swamp Ash Special fairly cheeply, and you'd be about 90% of the way there. You could send that to the PTC and get 5708's put in with

    Another thing to look at would be a used Johnny Hiland. A bolted on maple neck on a maple capped mahogany body gives you a slightly less bright tone with more warmth.

  12. #12
    Senior Member slang05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Springfield MO
    Posts
    399
    Ok, went ahead and pulled a trigger on the 25th Swamp Ash Special with Narrowfields. Can't wait to get it and hear it. I see a NGD in my future! Should have it sometime next week!
    "Just one more and then I promise, no more guitars honey!" - The phrase I say most to my wife

  13. #13
    Member bretwomack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming T/A View Post
    i love my 25th SAS , awesome sound with a ton of variation!!! The Narrowfields are great pups


    What are these amazing birds??? Are these typical on SASs?

  14. #14
    Junior Member Seneca SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dundee,NY
    Posts
    74
    they are shadow birds--some like some dont--i like them !!
    2008 Fender Custom Strat
    2011 PRS SAS- NF
    2012 PRS artist Package Studio

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Odenton, Md
    Posts
    256
    Shadow birds were only on the 25th Anniversary's. The also had this lovely headstock eagle.

  16. #16
    Senior Member slang05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Springfield MO
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming T/A View Post
    i love my 25th SAS , awesome sound with a ton of variation!!! The Narrowfields are great pups

    Hey! Are the frets the regular PRS med jumbo style on this guitar or are they the jumbo like on a DC3? Or something else? Any idea?
    "Just one more and then I promise, no more guitars honey!" - The phrase I say most to my wife

  17. #17
    I love my SAStudio.. I just installed an 85 Standard Treble in the bridge. i think it matches up with the Narrowfields a little better..
    ZebraPRS
    Guitars: 1989 PRS Custom; 1995 PRS Custom (24); 20?? PRS Custom 24 Custom Zebra Stripes, 2009 25th McCarty NF, 2014 Brushstroke 24, 2013 PRS HBII,
    Amps: PRS Original Sewell 50 watt #43 with Paisley 2x12 cab; PRS Pre-Prod 2 Channel C with 2x12 DB Cabinet, PRS Custom 10 watt head

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •