Thread: 305 S.A.S. owners - thoughts?.

305 S.A.S. owners - thoughts?.

Looking to buy a new (ok used) PRS next week. Been thinking about a 305 or a Swamp Ash Special. Would love to hear from some owners of these guitars to get there thoughts. I am unable to play whatever I buy because the stores in town don't have them available, plus I am looking to buy used anyway. I do have a 513 and from what I have read the 305 has the same neck but unfinished, like the the SAS. I really am looking for something a bit different. Have thought about Cu22's and a Singlecut because I have had them before and loved them, but thought I would step outside what I've had in the past with something different. I do play country and rock, think Aldean, but I'm not too concerned about tone. I know that sounds crazy but I don't think I've ever heard a PRS that I didn't like the way it sounded. With that said, I would still love to hear how you think your 305 or SAS sound.
    I have thought about the Swamp Ash with Narrowfields, but I think that would be out of my range. I have about $1400, maybe $1500 to spend.
    "Just one more and then I promise, no more guitars honey!" - The phrase I say most to my wife

i love my 25th SAS , awesome sound with a ton of variation!!! The Narrowfields are great pups

2008 Fender Custom Strat
    2011 PRS SAS- NF
    2012 PRS artist Package Studio

Thats super nice. Found one like that at a GC in Mississippi that I think I'll make a run at. Problem is it maybe like $100 out of my range after shipping and taxes.
    "Just one more and then I promise, no more guitars honey!" - The phrase I say most to my wife

The necks aren't unfinished, they only feel that way. There is a finish that soaks into the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    The necks aren't unfinished, they only feel that way. There is a finish that soaks into the wood.
    I kinda assumed that..wasn't sure though. Like on the DC3 and the NF3?

I have both a 513 and a 305. While I like them both very much, the reality is that there's nothing that the 305 can do that the 513 cannot (when in single-coil mode.) Of course, the 513 has the humbucking modes, as well, so it's quite a bit more versatile.

I don't have a SAS, but I do also have a Modern Eagle III, which also has the three narrowfields like the current SAS. They are remarkable pickups! They can go anywhere from Fender-style glassiness when clean to P-90 raunch (when on about 6-7 on the volume control) to full-on humbucker crunch. It's hard for me to think of a sound that you couldn't cover with the combination of a 513 and SAS/NF.

Quote Originally Posted by daa2202 View Post
    I have both a 513 and a 305. While I like them both very much, the reality is that there's nothing that the 305 can do that the 513 cannot (when in single-coil mode.) Of course, the 513 has the humbucking modes, as well, so it's quite a bit more versatile.

I don't have a SAS, but I do also have a Modern Eagle III, which also has the three narrowfields like the current SAS. They are remarkable pickups! They can go anywhere from Fender-style glassiness when clean to P-90 raunch (when on about 6-7 on the volume control) to full-on humbucker crunch. It's hard for me to think of a sound that you couldn't cover with the combination of a 513 and SAS/NF.
    Are you saying it would be redundant to have a 513 and a 305? Does the 305 sound exactly like the 513 in single coil mode? I would love a SAS but I think they are a tad out of what I can spend. Most are $1500-1800 used and I think I'm capped at $1500

Yes, personally I think that a 513 makes a 305 redundant...so much so that I am likely to sell my 305 now that I have acquired a 513. OK, they may not sound exactly the same (my 2009 305 has a alder body, maple neck, and a rosewood board, while my 2012 513 has a mahogany body and neck and a rosewood board, so there's a slight difference there), but in any real-world setting they're pretty darn identical (with the 513 in single-coil mode.)

Jason Aldean's guitarist seems to play a Studio, at least on recent TV appearances. The 305 is a great guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by daa2202 View Post
    Yes, personally I think that a 513 makes a 305 redundant...so much so that I am likely to sell my 305 now that I have acquired a 513. OK, they may not sound exactly the same (my 2009 305 has a alder body, maple neck, and a rosewood board, while my 2012 513 has a mahogany body and neck and a rosewood board, so there's a slight difference there), but in any real-world setting they're pretty darn identical (with the 513 in single-coil mode.)
    Dang! I knew you were going to say that!!

The current 305 and the 513 are closer than my 305 prototype is.

Outside of my predilection for 513's, I have a bunch of SAS, old and new including a 513 Swamp Ash, a SASNF, and a Swamp Ash Studio. I think I'd go with a Swamp Ash Studio if I had to have just one.

Swamp Ash tends to give the guitar scooped mids with sharp biting highs and tight lows. I tend to like them better with warm clear pick ups like 5708's and Narrowfields, but it does pretty good with warm muddy pick ups like 513's and McCarty's. However, I found the Narrowfields to be a little thin for a treble pick up which is why I favor the Swamp Ash Studio over the SASNF.

I think you get a used Swamp Ash Special fairly cheeply, and you'd be about 90% of the way there. You could send that to the PTC and get 5708's put in with

Another thing to look at would be a used Johnny Hiland. A bolted on maple neck on a maple capped mahogany body gives you a slightly less bright tone with more warmth.

Ok, went ahead and pulled a trigger on the 25th Swamp Ash Special with Narrowfields. Can't wait to get it and hear it. I see a NGD in my future! Should have it sometime next week!

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming T/A View Post
    i love my 25th SAS , awesome sound with a ton of variation!!! The Narrowfields are great pups

What are these amazing birds??? Are these typical on SASs?

they are shadow birds--some like some dont--i like them !!
    2008 Fender Custom Strat
    2011 PRS SAS- NF
    2012 PRS artist Package Studio

Shadow birds were only on the 25th Anniversary's. The also had this lovely headstock eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming T/A View Post

Hey! Are the frets the regular PRS med jumbo style on this guitar or are they the jumbo like on a DC3? Or something else? Any idea?

I love my SAStudio.. I just installed an 85 Standard Treble in the bridge. i think it matches up with the Narrowfields a little better..
    ZebraPRS
    Guitars: 1989 PRS Custom; 1995 PRS Custom (24); 20?? PRS Custom 24 Custom Zebra Stripes, 2009 25th McCarty NF, 2014 Brushstroke 24, 2013 PRS HBII,
    Amps: PRS Original Sewell 50 watt #43 with Paisley 2x12 cab; PRS Pre-Prod 2 Channel C with 2x12 DB Cabinet, PRS Custom 10 watt head