Thread: Is this a big deal?

Is this a big deal?

Is this the same thing as "finish lift?" This is a 2012 guitar, so I'm a little surprised to see it.
    But I'm not distraught over it, the guitar will just relic faster.

However, I'm wondering if I need to do something about it. Is it bad for the wood? Will it continue to spread? What would I put on it to remedy?

Thanks for any help.

12 408 - 12 DGT - 09 Tremonti II - 98 CU24 - 97 CE22 - Mesa MarkIV - Kemper Profiler Amp - EVH 5150 III - PRS Archon

That looks like Hamer-itis, and is something CRGTR had on his Sig Ltd. I'm sure PRS can sort it under warranty?

It will spread.
    I agree with Twinfan that PRS would probably fix it for you.

Well, that brings up an interesting point. I purchased this from a reputable person on VR, someone with many references. But he didn't mention anything about it, the guitar was described as MINT with 15-30 minutes of playing time.

Maybe he just didn't notice. But the bigger issue is, the guitar isn't covered under warranty now, correct? If it's not covered, I would rather find a way to remedy it myself.

Do warranties transfer with private sells?
    12 408 - 12 DGT - 09 Tremonti II - 98 CU24 - 97 CE22 - Mesa MarkIV - Kemper Profiler Amp - EVH 5150 III - PRS Archon

They do not transfer from private sales. Still worth contacting the powers that be. Have you talked to the seller? It arrived that way?

I would still contact PRS before you try anything on your own. Also - I dont see how a seller "didnt see that", so I would shoot him an email as well.
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Is this the same thing as "finish lift?" This is a 2012 guitar, so I'm a little surprised to see it.
    But I'm not distraught over it, the guitar will just relic faster.

However, I'm wondering if I need to do something about it. Is it bad for the wood? Will it continue to spread? What would I put on it to remedy?

Thanks for any help.

I had this problem with a 57/08 mcarty. I sent it to the guys at prs. They said the rosewood fingerboard may have been a little more oily than usual. This can cause the clearcoat to peel. They fixed it and sent it back. After some more playing in,it started to happen in a different spot on the neck. My solution to the problem...PLAY IT TILL ALL THE FINISH COMES OFF AND THEN IT WILL LOOK PERFECT!!!!!!!

Thanks for the help guys! I guess I'll get in touch with PRS and see what my options are.
    If it's only aesthetic, I'm not too concerned about repairing it as I love this guitar and will probably die with it.
    But if it somehow jeopardizes the neck wood or long-term performance of the instrument, it's gotta be fixed.

It's true that the oils in rosewood sometimes prevent the finish from adhering properly - in fact, this can happen even with the older finishes. It's not a big deal, and the PTC can do a superb job with it.

If you're keeping the guitar, might as well not risk further damage.

Call Shawn...I've had it happen to me and they fixed it right up!
    -Bob

I would freak out if thst happened to my prs. FREAK out.

I have a few spots like that on my HBII. They've been there for years and haven't gotten any worse over time.
    --Garrett--