Thread: My Nephew Got His First Guitar Today

My Nephew Got His First Guitar Today

My Nephew Got his first guitar for his birthday today...if I had known I would have given slightly different input as to which guitar he should have gotten...however...that being said...

It was a First Act Strat and I tried it out through a little solid state practice amp that came with it...and I was shocked at some of the sounds I could get out of it and the overall playability of the guitar?!?! It intonated pretty well and the fretwork seemed to be decent...albeit tiny frets (please keep in Mind all I play in terms of Brands these days are PRS and Thorn...so I have a pretty high standard of what good fretwork actually is!). It was better than a lot of Squires and Epiphones I've picked up....how the heck could that be?

Anywhoo he just turned seven and he was so excited to show me his new guitar....asking me if I could give him lessons when I had time...which I of course agreed to! It was nice to see a kid so into it and at least having a semi playable guitar to start with. If you had seen my first electric you would all probably wonder how I actually stuck with playing! I of course showed him the prerequisite Smoke On The Water Riff...his eyes just lit up when he realized he could actually make music as opposed to just bang on the strings...and he gave me this big missing tooth grin!!! (He recently had a visit from the tooth fairy). The whole thing just made me smile.

I bought my oldest (he is now 5) his first 3/4 sized Strat at the age of 2 1/2...I think it's important to get guitars or instruments in general in their hands early! My two boys have already laid claim to some of my PRS...and in the long road they will get all of them.

Do you guys have similar stories about seeing a kid with a guitar in his or her hands for the first time?
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 01-06-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    -Bob

This is my grandson sitting on my lap - his very first time with a guitar! The guitar was made for my son when he was 5. This was a lot of fun for both of us...er...mostly me. LOL!

Last edited by LSchefman; 01-06-2013 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    This is my grandson sitting on my lap - his very first time with a guitar! The guitar was made for my son when he was 5. This was a lot of fun for both of us...er...mostly me. LOL!

doesn't get much better than that!!!
    -Bob

I helped my nephews select their first guitars, they got Gibsons........ F$%*ing rich kids.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    I helped my nephews select their first guitars, they got Gibsons........ F$%*ing rich kids.
    -Bob

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Bought my son a First Act acoustic (complete with skull and crossbone "inlays") about two years ago, and got tired of not being able to keep mr. plastic in tune.

This XMAS, well, a picture is worth a thousand of them:

1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2003 & 04 SE EG SSS | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited | 2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar
    2013 Hollowbody II | 2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow
    2013 S2 Mira | 2013 CU24 | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow

Wonderful picture, Carl!